Info about blank, 4wt rod construction.

Plebax

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy a 4wt blank, I want a CTS but affinity x is 9' too long for me, I want an 8' or 8'6', I see mhx or tfo bvk blank. Which is better? You have better choose in 200$ range?

flav

Reaction score
I've built both a 4 and 5 weight MHX and think they're fantastic rods, although both are 9 feet, not the shorter blank you're interested in. The action is more medium fast, unlike the BVK, which is much faster.

el jefe

Reaction score
I know CTS will build some custom blanks for you, but I don't know if they change in size; i.e., will they produce an 8'6" Affinity X in a 4-weight. You can vary the actions and number of pieces of several of their rods. It obviously adds to the cost, but it is available.

flav

Reaction score
Yes, I'd forgotten that, CTS will build a custom blank for you. It might cost more and you'll have to wait, but you can get what you want.

The only RX7 Batson I've built was a 9' 8 weight. It's fast, and I use it for saltwater, but I have no idea about the 7'9" 4 weight. My experience with the several Batson blanks I've built on is they're awesome quality, but they're too fast for my liking when it comes to trout rods. I just prefer a more moderate flexing rod, you may not. I have an RX6, 9' 4 weight, that I'm considering selling off because my MHX in the same size is so much nicer to fish and the Batson gets no use.

Plebax

Reaction score
I prefer mod fast action so i thinked at affinity mx 8' 4wt i found it in stock. But mhx is 100$ and affinity mx is 200$ don't know if worth it

trailryder47

Reaction score
I can say this, the 9' 5wt Affinity MX I built a few years ago is the best rod I have ever owned. I much prefer it over my 9' 4wt Affinity X, Sage One 9' 6wt, Sage Circa 893 and all the Batson and MHX blanks I have built for friends and family.

Superb all rounder, light and medium fast with fast recovery and plenty of backbone to throw a whole line. Love mine, wish I could switch the two Affinitys with the 4 being the MX and the 5 being the X but such is life.

How that matches up with an 8' 4wt not sure, I think it would be outstanding rod though. Having said that, the MHX's I have built have been very nice and the Batson Revelation I built my son is a very nice and smooth rod that is just easy to cast.

Best of luck,
Jamie

Plebax

Reaction score
Thanks, I would like to buy an 8' rod because a fish in small river with a lot of tree, I thinked at pacbay quickline too, i'm not sure to spend 200$ for cts

barham

Reaction score
I have built a 9ft 5wt and 4wt Quickline. They both quite fast. I overlined both with 6wt Grand and 5wt Grand respectively.
Pretty black shiny blanks though.

reels

Reaction score
I have both a Quickline and an Affinity X.
The Affinity X has a faster action than the Quickline by far.
Also I noticed the paint is very thick on the Quickline which IMHO equates to increased weight and loss of sensitivity.
You get what you pay for.

Also, note that the CTS MX series is no longer on their website, but I believe you can order it for an up-charge.
They offer the CTS Affinity M (Carbon Fly Rod Blank I Affinity M | CTS Fishing - Made in New Zealand) on their website which is more of a mid-flex profile; but again it's not the same as MX or as the X.