The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   A Good Reel in the $200-250 Range? (https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7147-good-reel-200-250-range.html)

Surfin the Susquehanna 01-02-2009 01:02 PM

A Good Reel in the $200-250 Range?

Hi All,
First off Happy New Year.
I know many folks don't like these kinds of posts, but I'm sorry, I'm going to ask anyway. :D Just looking for some advice/suggestions for a new reel. I got a $200 GC from Cabela's from the Mrs. for Christmas. I want to get a new reel for my 4wt rod. I don't know too much about reels so I am looking for some suggestions of what you may have tried/liked/disliked about diferent reels in that category. Will be used primarilly for trout in smaller streams and rivers.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Jeff

dorian.ducker 01-02-2009 01:26 PM

Re: A Good Reel in the $200-250 Range?

Hey Jeff!

If it is a 4wt. rod you are using for trout, I would say spending 200-250 might be overkill. If it were me I would buy a Lamson or one of the Ross reels that are typically on sale now. I think you could spend 150 bucks or so and be VERY happy with it. You could even have money left over to buy an extra spool or a line!

Pocono 01-02-2009 01:34 PM

I use a Lamson Litespeed on my 7'6" March Brown 4 wt. rod. It's a nicely built reel with plenty of stopping power for freestone or small river trout. I think it's in the price range of the nice gift from your misses.

You can check it out on the following link:

Lamson Litespeed Hard Alox

Dorian's suggestion of a Ross would also be good. I use their Evolution 2.0 on my 9'0" 5 wt. and like it a lot. Their Evolution 1.5 would work well for the 4 wt. Here's the link to the Evolution reel:

Ross Reels USA - Quality Tackle at an Affordable Price

Good luck!

MikeG 01-02-2009 02:01 PM

Galvan Open Back reels are really nice. Smooth drag, no clicking.

eaglesfn68 01-02-2009 08:45 PM

i would go and get a lamson konic. there about 150 then with the money left over get a spool or line.

racine 01-03-2009 03:06 PM

Sportsmans Wearhouse in Aurora, Colorado had some Lamson Konics for sale for $100(4/5wt). The best part was adding a spare spool was $110! Too bad I didn't need one but I was trying to talk a newbie about this being a very good deal on such a good reel. :frogdance

OldMan 01-03-2009 03:51 PM

He has a Gift Certificate for Cabelas.

mojo 01-03-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna (Post 43516)
Hi All,
First off Happy New Year.
I know many folks don't like these kinds of posts, but I'm sorry, I'm going to ask anyway. :D Just looking for some advice/suggestions for a new reel. I got a $200 GC from Cabela's from the Mrs. for Christmas. I want to get a new reel for my 4wt rod. I don't know too much about reels so I am looking for some suggestions of what you may have tried/liked/disliked about diferent reels in that category. Will be used primarilly for trout in smaller streams and rivers.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Jeff

I'd say go for a Lampson Konic and some Rio Gold or STII.

Surfin the Susquehanna 01-03-2009 09:18 PM

Awesome Guys... Thanks for the suggestions. I checked into what you all suggested and the Lamson Konic looks like a great buy for the $$. I even read some reviews, and they were all flying reviews with the exception of the knucklehead that gave it a poor review because he dropped it and it bent. Some of the others are on the high side of what I want to spend, and I appreciate those suggestions as well, but if I can get a highly recommended reel for $120 and have some money left for tying material/leader/line, I am most likely going to jump on it.

I expected a lot of "Well it depends on your opinion" type replies, so I REALLY appreciate the specific suggestions. Chances are you steered me toward a really smart buy!!!!

Thanks Again,
Jeff

BigCliff 01-03-2009 09:19 PM

I also would likely pick a reel from Lamson, Ross USA, or Galvan. But I'd also look into getting a Abel Creek if you want a reel that is both beautiful and adequately simplistic. (its a click-drag reel. I'm a click fan)