$40 rod vs $140 rod

chuck145

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing; but, I have fished for the last 40 years. I have assess to inexpensive equipment in my town but not to the higher "quality" equipment I read about and see on the internet. I dont mind paying more for the quality if it is something I can appreciate which brings me to my question....As a beginning fly fisherman, using a good reel and cortman 333pro fly line would I appreciate the difference in a $40 Martin 5w 9 ft rod and say a $140 Echo rod of the same specs?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Yes. 6-10 years ago this would not have been the case, but in the last few years the quality of most of the $80-$200 rods has gone WAY up. The Martin would be the kind of rod that would get you started, but that you would grow out of fairly quickly. The ECHO is one you wouldn't grow out of.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I began with the "cheap stuff" and have graduated up what most call the "high end" stuff. I reall does make all the difference in the world. The gear is lighter and the lines shoot faster and better. If you are out for a long day of casting, you will appreciate the lighter rods, reels, etc.

chuck145

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. Aside from the weight issues, what should I expect out of the better rods? The Martin that I looked at locally is graphite and certainly much lighter than the old fiberglass fly rod I have. Is a good rod just something you have to experience? And would the weekend warrior recognize the difference? I apologize for being a pain about this; but, I am just trying to understand what differences I should expect. Thanks in advance for your responses

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
chuck145 said:
I appreciate the responses. Aside from the weight issues, what should I expect out of the better rods? The Martin that I looked at locally is graphite and certainly much lighter than the old fiberglass fly rod I have. Is a good rod just something you have to experience? And would the weekend warrior recognize the difference? I apologize for being a pain about this; but, I am just trying to understand what differences I should expect. Thanks in advance for your responses
  1. Just about any fly shop worth a **** will let you cast as many rods as you like before you buy.
  2. Yes, you will immediately feel the difference.
  3. Besides weight, the rod will load the line faster & the line will shoot through the better guides easier.
  4. No offense, but I wouldnt classify a Martin rod as a "higher end rod". Pick yourself up a Sage. Even their entry level rod ( about $200 ) is a **** nice stick.
I personally own:
Orivis Rods ( two ) (4wt & 5wt) 9'ers
Sage Rods ( two ) (4wt & 5wt) 9'ers
4wt Rogue 8'er (one)
Custom made 5 piece ( one ) 8'5" 5wt
Echo 9' 4 piece 9wt (one)

And I am picking up a 6wt 4 piece winston.

Curtis

Reaction score
You can get nice casting rods that are sub $100. I personally have a Cabelas Traditional series rod that cost me $69 and I absolutely love it. It is very smooth, light, and responsive. That is not to say that the high dollar rods are not nice but I just don't feel I need them anymore.

I kind of think a little opposite of others. I personally think a good flyfisherman does well without having to break the bank.

And Fanatic, I WANT THAT ROGUE BACK!!!! ;)

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I understand the conserns of not going overboard on spending when you're just getting started. However, the worst thing you can do is to get a cheep rod to start... the absolute worse thing. I've taught fly fishing and fly casting for over 8 years at our local communitty college. So many times I've seen a newby get a cheep rod ... "just to see if they'll like fly fishing"... then casting becomes difficult... then they lose interest.

My advice is to not get any rod for less than $100. I don't care who you get it from. Don't spend less than $100 if you want a rod that will load properly and be easy to cast. Experienced casters can take a cheep rod and sometimes make it work. Begginers simply cannot pull that off. So... stop trying to save a few bucks... and get a good rod. Forget the Martin.

chuck145

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the input. I also visited with Steve via telephone and I greatly appreciate his input. I have given my wife my christmas list. It consists of the Echo 5w rod, Stone Creek Voyager reel and Cortland 333pro trout WF rocket taper line. The line is something I am not totally sure about. I am going to fish for bass, bream and occasionally trout. If I am going the wrong direction with the line, someone let me know.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Echo makes a great inexpensive rod. I recently picked up a 9' 9wt 4 piece from Steve. It is a cannon!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Another reason to go with a better rod is the warranty. You snap the tip off a Martin and you're simply SOL. I used to tell people not to spend over $100 on a rod that doesn't have a good warranty, but now those without one are so hard to find, I don't really need to issue that suggestion.

It sounds like you are concerned about the "trout" in the line's title. It really makes no difference. It means that the front taper will be a bit longer than one they would call a "bass" line, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a "bass" line in a 5wt anyway. The longer taper on the front of the line will give a more gentle presentation than one with a shorter taper. This can mean that it won't work ideally to turn over bigger floating flies, but this can be easily remedied. Just try a shorter leader and those flies should kick over just fine. A leader over 8' long really is needed for trout most fishing, but anything over 6' is fine for bass and usually for panfish as well.

JBinUTAH

Reaction score
If I could back up the clock a few years...I would have started with a Temple Fork PRO $139 or thier TICR $199 rod 5 weight, Orvis Battinkill Mid Arbor III Reel $90, and the line would be Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX or XXD 5 or 6 weight $45. Thats a great setup most everywhere I fish. I am an Ebayer and could probably do better on the prices. But these guys are correct as far as getting something you can cast. Otherwise the frustrations will drive you away from the sport.

freeze69

Reaction score
as one guy i work with asked why so many different ones? i asked him why there is so many different types of golf clubs? this is one example i can think of.

just wish that i would have joined the site before i bought my el-cheapo. learned all the wrong habits and trying to unlearn them. just bought the diamondback americana and can't wait to try it out. going to bigdon's wed. and going to compare to his st. croix's for the fun of it.

buy a good set-up the first time around. unlike me and many others. hours of frustration and new line later.

BigCliff

Reaction score
There's so many because there are so many different manufacturers and most of them want to make sure they are not missing out on part of the market. Some manufacturers are making rods that seem kind of redundant to me, but they have the market share to support that. There are tons to pick from, but I view it as more of a good thing than a bad thing.

tie one on

Reaction score
Welcome Chuck145,

What you have asked is an ongoing debate among fly fishers & probably will remain that way. However, if you noticed from the responses you've received, all of us who have been doing this sport for any length of time would recommend spending a little more of that precious $$. Equipment for fly-fishing is no different than a chevy vs. mercedes, you get what you pay for.

If I could give you any advice on buying a rod(s) it would be :

1. Determine what fish you are going after. (Bigger fish, the heavier weight rod you'll need. You don't want to fish for pan-fish with a 9wt salmon rod)
2. How much can you afford. (better rods have better warranties & cost more)
3. If it grabs you like it has grabbed most of us, spending more for rods makes it so much easier while in the water, especially if you are out for a better part of the day. A good rod can cast so much easier & with less effort.
4. If you want a rod you could fish for numerous fish, I would recommend a 5wt 9' rod &
a disc drag reel spooled with a good 5wt floating double taper fly line. You can cover a multitude of species with this type of rod.

This is a great website to learn from so don't hesitate to ask for help.

Tie One On

Curtis

Reaction score
Well, I would say to go for quality but I don't think you have to have $100 rods to meet that objective. Cortland makes a couple of rods that are some of my favorites. The first (actually discontinued) is the GRF-1000. One of the smoothest rods I have ever used and you can find them on Ebay for around fourty bucks. The other is the replacement for the GRF-1000 and it is the GRX. This too is a very nice rod with great components and unconditional lifetime warranty. I would put both of these rods up against the big names and feel just fine doing it.

On the other hand, some of the higher end rods don't do it for me. I for one do not like the Scott V2 at ALL and think for a "beginner" rod it is clutzy and hard to use.

I guess this is why this fishing thing is so fun. Everyone likes different things.

Of course, I still love the old glass fenglass's and a lot of the other glass offerings out there.

freeze69

Reaction score
after years of regular fishing i can say one thing holds true: A GOOD ROD WILL LAST A LONG TIME.

back in 91 i spent about $75 for a spinning rod. my dad told me i was a jerk.(kept clean) 3 or 4 reels later and that rod still performs as good as the day i bought it. dad's been through at least 5 complete rod and reels. (the reels that i've gone through on this is because of bigger fish hitting it than expected)