New Rod

Reaction score
For years I have purchased less expensive rods, however this spring I'm planning on splurging a little for a new 6 wt. Dollar amount will be in the $300 range. Most fishing is tailwater with an occasional trip to smaller streams, and my casting skills are average. I do plan on getting out and trying a few different rods to find the feel that suits me best. One rod on my list now is the Sage Flight 690. I would appreciate comments, reviews, and other recommendations.
Thanks,
Andy

Greenwood

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two of the Sages; a 9 1/2 ft 6wt and a 9' 5 wt. - both 4 piece. I like them a lot, obviously, but they are both faster action rods. I hadn't used faster action rods previously and it took me a little while to get used to the casting stroke but once I did, it was fine. I tried both 5 wt line and 6 wt line on the 5 wt rod. Thought the 6 wt. might make it load up a little easier and it does although on a long day of fishing I find my arm gets pretty tired. Guess it's the extra muscle required to stop and start the rod movement.

As I said, they're really nice rods but you might also want to try something a little slower. I'm thinking the Winston Vapor although I've never actually cast one.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday,

I LOVE your user name!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told that, I could buy a new reel today!

Cudo's on a great choice

Ard

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I fish a luanch 9' 4wt alot and like it, the FLI is a little faster rod, wich I normaly like a faster rod, but the slow easy casting rythem is good some times when I'm in a mellow mood.
The new Sage Flight is also a really good rod it is replacing the FLI.
Bear

gjcordray

Reaction score
I own a Launch 5 weight and a Fli 6 weight (the older version of the Flight). While the Fli is quite a bit faster, they are both great rods for under $400. I fish the Launch primarily with dry flies and on small to medium sized waters and use the Fli for nymphing and streamers. You can pick up some closeout Fli series online for between $175 and $200 if you do some searching. I am not sure exactly what changes were made in the new Flight series, but it might be worth the savings.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Someone posted their experience casting both the Z-Axis and Sage Flight
rods recently. He said they were very close, with the big difference being
the components. It seems the Flight is made in the USA, so the price is right!

I haven't fished the Flight, but have fished the Z-Axis and Fli in 9' 6wt. The
Fli seems more suited to a 7wt line, and the Z-Axis transmits more feel to
my hands. I actually bought the Fli, but returned it. I would say
the biggest difference between the Fli and Z-Axis is that the Z-Axis has more
action in the tip section. If the same holds true for the Flight, I'd recommend
that rod.

Being able to try these rods on the water can be a real bonus in making
your decision. I bought mine from a store that has a return policy.

BigCliff

Reaction score
If you're fishing small streams, I would think you'd only want a 6wt if you're throwing bass flies or large streamers. Otherwise I would go with a 5wt, and one that is softish or shorter would be a good way to go. That brings up the TFO Finesse 7'9" 5wt, StCroix's Avid 8' 5wt, or a Diamondglass 8' 5wt. TFO makes a short fiberglass 5wt in their Finesse series as well. I expect them to have warranty coverage longer than Diamondglass, FWIW.

Oh, nevermind, just saw that tailwaters are primary. Do whatcha like.

I'll sell ya a Beulah Guide Series 6wt for $100 if you're interested. I need a 7wt more. Beulah Fly Rods - Fly Rods, Switch Rods, Oregon, Fly Fishing, Spey Rods In great shape and comes with a spare tip, cordura tube and great warranty.

Jasonbu

Reaction score
The G. Loomis Eastfork is a nice rod. I have a 5wt loaded with Rio Trout Taper and she runs beautiful. I think its worth a look. Of course, you can't go wrong with Sage.

JB

P.S. Almost forgot, the TFO Axiom is a cannon. If you like fast action, for the price I think you would be hard pressed to find anything comparable...

Jacksmyname

Reaction score
Hi folks. New member here, and about to embark on learning to fly fish at the ripe old age of 59.:)
Just thought I'd post that Red Truck Fly Fishing has lots of FLi series rods on clearence at good prices.
I bought a 9ft. 6wt for $178, and may grab a 7'6" 4wt for the same price.
http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com

Jack

catman

Reaction score
I just picked up a Sage Z-Axis 486-4.
I've found the rod I've been dreaming of, for a song from a guide on a trade........
I can't say anymore. I have thrown the 9' 5wt Z-Axis just OK, but that 8' 6" 4wt. is the $hit..

I go to MT, WY & CO every year & I can't wait to throw this thing, unbelievable my friends for small drys or streamers.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the new Flight. I was the one that posted the comparison between the Flight and the Zaxis. They are VERy similar. A Flight is my next rod purchase.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Re: the Sage Fli and Launch. I tried both rods in 4 and 8 wt. I bought the Launch both times. For my casting style the Launch worked better. I prefer a little slower rod. The Launch rods also felt lighter and better balanced. Both are 9'.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. In March, I'm planning on a few days in the Great Smokies National Park and with that trip I certainly will stop at Little River Outfitters to get some "hands on" time with different rods prior to making a purchase from those good folks. Thanks again.
Andy