The Swarm

Ian Mann 4

Reaction score
Some flies I tied up. Great for panfish and bows on stillwater.

Body: Embroidery thread
Thorax: Peacock herl
Legs: Centipede legs
Head: Gold Bead

Pocono

Reaction score
Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono

Ian Mann 4

Reaction score
Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono
Thanks.

The woven body is two different colors...back and abdomen and tied with a overhand knot weave.

Legs are tied in at each side (like the Chernobyl) and the top leg goes across the top. The herl is then wrapped amongst.

The trickiest part of this fly isn't the weave like you may think. Getting the legs positioned and flared correctly is.

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Where can I look online to learn about weaving bodies? Something new for me.

Pocono

Ian Mann 4

Reaction score
I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Pocono
Probably the best and most comprehensive I've seen on various weave methods is in the book "Flytier's Benchside Reference."

If you don't have this book in your flytying library, I highly recommend it.

E

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work E,

Your picture of the covey is cool. I don't use much in the way of dries or nymphs here but I always take a look at what we are posting on the board.

Me likey,

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Big E: Great looking pattern, I'm betting that would be a killer pattern on the local sagebrush lakes!

Larry

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
big_e

That's a super, buggy looking collection--- it looks like a horde of alien invaders right out of a sci fi flick.

Really neat stuff!

Pocono
Allan-

There are a bunch of different weaves you can do. The late great Al Campbell has some neat stuff on the Fly Angler's OnLine site:

Al Campbell’s stuff on fly Anglers On Line:

Tiger Weave
Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 1"

Hook Weave
Hook Weave EZ Stone- Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 2"

Pott’s Weave
Woven Hackle Flies-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 3"

Granny Weave
Granny Weave Stonefly-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 4"

and here's a neat article from Hatches:
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/370

Pocono

Reaction score
Thank you, Mark!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Some flies I tied up. Great for panfish and bows on stillwater.

Body: Embroidery thread
Thorax: Peacock herl
Legs: Centipede legs
Head: Gold Bead
Granny Weave on those bodies, big_e?

Pocono

nerka

Reaction score
I am not sure what part of the world you are in, but I am under the impression there is not graying near you. With that being said, I can see the sailfins going NUTS for these bugs.