Five Weight All Around Confessions!

FlyBum

Reaction score
I tried to make a catchy title.

I have a confession though I started fly fishing 25 years ago I've never fished streamers not even for steelhead. Okay I'm out of the closet now!:eek:

Well I'm planning on building or buying a 9' 5 wieght. Heres the thing I really like moderate action rods, but I want it to be a rod that could do everything reasonably well and that includes fishing streamers, wind, and fishing for larger trout and "Half Pounders." To do that do I really need a Moderate-Fast, Fast action or will a moderate action 5wt like the Reddington CT which is moderate, but less moderate than a TFO Finnese do fine.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is I'm feeling non-commital, because I know where I can purchase a Reddington CT 9' 5wt for $110 including shipping and I really like that rod, but I'm concerned that it will not permit me to throw streamers well and I'm committed this year to learn to fish streamers.

gt05254

Reaction score
I seem to mention this a lot on this forum, but you might check ebay for new/used Orvis Trident TL's in either mid or tip flex. I've used the 9' 5wt tip flex for years; it throws everything. I've cast everything from little wee tiny baetis nymphs on the Firehole to No.2 streamers for big Batten Kill browns with that rod. I'll cry if I ever break it.
Gary

axle27

Reaction score
I have a Drake Big Horn setup as a streamer rod. It's what I would call a medium fast action.

They're kinda hard to find but I know a couple of people on here use and swear by them (me being one).

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard

FlyBum

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard
Its not the rod weight I'm concerned with as I know that a 5wt or 6wt is perfect for where I would streamer fish. Its the fact that I really like moderate action and moderate fast action rods, but have heard and read everywhere including this forum to fish streamers effectively you need a Fast Action rod.

I just dislike fast action rods as they feel like broom sticks to me and it has nothing to do with my experience or ability to cast I actually cast them just fine. I simply prefer moderate and moderate fast rods, but If to properly fish streamers I really NEED a fast action I'll buy or build one.

I just want to fish streamers to catch some of the Big Browns in the Truckee River and a few other places.

Last edited:

gt05254

Reaction score
I don't think you really NEED a fast action rod to fish streamers...especially in light of the fact that all these wicked quick rods (which I do enjoy, btw, especially Loomis') are fairly new on the scene. Somehow, lo these many years, people have been fishing streamers without them. Can you spell b-a-m-b-o-o? f-i-b-e-r-g-l-a-s-s? I'm pretty sure you can cast streamers effectively and fairly effortlessly without a rocket launcher in your hand.

Side note - Ard, I always loved pm-10s. Broke a SLEW of them, but I sure liked them. I get tempted by them on ebay all the time.

Yours with a slow stick,
Gary

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Tom: I'm with you in preferring a medium fast over a fast action rod. I just don't like the broom handle feel of some fast action rods. If you go back and re-read what Ard is saying, you will see that he also likes the medium fast rod. In the past couple of years I have been throwing larger streamers like the double bunny and the newer articulated streamers. You will find that a 5 wt is just going to be under gunned for the larger streamers. I have a 5, 6 and 7 wt and for the larger stuff I always go with the 6 or 7 and if it is windy I use the 7.

Davo is a guide out of Jackson Hole, he doesn't post here often but he is a died in the wool streamer fisherman. In the past he used a 6wt rod and this past year has moved to a 7 wt. I'm guessing it is primarily for the wind, but not sure.

Larry

burk48237

Reaction score
I don't think you really NEED a fast action rod to fish streamers...especially in light of the fact that all these wicked quick rods (which I do enjoy, btw, especially Loomis') are fairly new on the scene. Somehow, lo these many years, people have been fishing streamers without them. Can you spell b-a-m-b-o-o? f-i-b-e-r-g-l-a-s-s? I'm pretty sure you can cast streamers effectively and fairly effortlessly without a rocket launcher in your hand.

Side note - Ard, I always loved pm-10s. Broke a SLEW of them, but I sure liked them. I get tempted by them on ebay all the time.

Yours with a slow stick,
Gary
I suspect it depends on what you mean by streamer fishing. If streamer fishing is throwing a small Clouser or bead head Wooly Bugger in shallow smaller streams you probably right. But if you're throwing 200-300 grain heads with Zonker strips the size of large rodent chasing big trout in big water, give me the fast powerful stick every day. The only moderate (by todays standards) rods that I've seen that will do that duty are the old Winston XTR's and they were very heavy. Yes, the XTR 6 weight moderate action will do anything most eight weights will do, but it also weighs as much as most eight weights. The one good thing about them is they go for pretty cheap on Ebay.

OTOH, I was throwing a 200 grain head and large streamers on both the Watuga and the PM recently and a new Hardy Proaxis six weight handled the job far more effortlessly then that Winston at half the weight. And it is a very fast rod, although it feels by no means like a broomstick.

gt05254

Reaction score
From Burk48237: "I suspect it depends on what you mean by streamer fishing. If streamer fishing is throwing a small Clouser or bead head Wooly Bugger in shallow smaller streams you probably right. But if you're throwing 200-300 grain heads with Zonker strips the size of large rodent chasing big trout in big water, give me the fast powerful stick every day. The only moderate (by todays standards) rods that I've seen that will do that duty are the old Winston XTR's and they were very heavy. Yes, the XTR 6 weight moderate action will do anything most eight weights will do, but it also weighs as much as most eight weights."

I suspect you're right. I have no experience with grain heads (oh, wait, maybe I do if one thinks of Grain Heads. that's a joke, son, a joke) and rodent sized flies (and don't want to have any experience with 'em, either), but in those instances a rocket launcher is probably pretty important equipment.

BTW, I fish Loomis NativeRun GLX's from 7 to 9wt for atlantics, bones and pike.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I might just be speaking out of my streamer inexperience, but if I were going to fish streamers that required more than a single handed 6wt I think I'd prefer to go to a switch rod which I plan to do also this year anyway.

Duh! I didn't even think about the fact that streamers were thrown with bamboo and glass long before graphite came along so I guess I can safely buy that Redington CT 5wt which I really want since I can get it shipped for $110 and then use my 6wt if I want to throw a little bigger streamers then the 5wt can handle. Then when I get/build my switch rod use it for the big stuff. Or am I just crazy.

gjcordray

Reaction score
As with most rod questions, this seems to come down to a matter of style and preference. I prefer a fast action 6 weight rod for streamers because I generally chuck larger, heavier streamers on bigger water (40-60 foot casts) looking for larger fish. I like faster action in the wind as well.
I do not fish streamers often, however. I prefer more moderate action rods for almost every other application.

Gary

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Duh! I didn't even think about the fact that streamers were thrown with bamboo and glass long before graphite came along so I guess I can safely buy that Redington CT 5wt which I really want since I can get it shipped for $110 and then use my 6wt if I want to throw a little bigger streamers then the 5wt can handle. Then when I get/build my switch rod use it for the big stuff. Or am I just crazy.
Tom,
There is a reason why we fly fishermen have fly rods like some have golf clubs. No one rod can do it all. Are you just crazy? Nope. You are just putting two and two together.

I don't know if you ever plan on doing a drift with Dave Sloan out of American Fly on the Yuba. If you do one of his drifts, he will suggest that you have two rods. You could have a six weight rigged as a streamer or indicator rod and a five weight rigged as a dry rod. I highly recommend the July into August drift. It's three weeks of gonzo hoppers!

One of the realities is that a light line rod can handle throwing streamers as long as you stay within the parameters of the rod. Things will get complicated once the flies get heavier (especially if they get waterlogged), more wind resistant, and when the winds start picking up. Last summer when I fished my girlfriend's 7'6" 3 weight CT, I was casting size 12 Beadhead Simi Seal Leeches and size 10 Beadhead Woolly Buggers.

MP

burk48237

Reaction score
I might just be speaking out of my streamer inexperience, but if I were going to fish streamers that required more than a single handed 6wt I think I'd prefer to go to a switch rod which I plan to do also this year anyway.

I use switch rods for streamers quite a bit when I'm swinging streamers. But when I'm tossing heads and stripping fast on retrieve a two hander gets in the way. A single hander is much more efficient and easier to handle when you're casting and working a streamer or even a top water (mousin) then a two hander.

I must admit after using a two hander in AK, I don't understand why the 11 1/2 seven weight isn't the go too rod in the great white north for Silvers and Rainbows.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I use switch rods for streamers quite a bit when I'm swinging streamers. But when I'm tossing heads and stripping fast on retrieve a two hander gets in the way. A single hander is much more efficient and easier to handle when you're casting and working a streamer or even a top water (mousin) then a two hander.

I must admit after using a two hander in AK, I don't understand why the 11 1/2 seven weight isn't the go too rod in the great white north for Silvers and Rainbows.
I had not thought of that and that makes complete sense. So perhaps I should get the Switch for steelhead, surf fishing, etc. By the Way any familliar with the St. Croix Imperial Switch rod other then the fact its build in Mexico.

I just found a TFO TICR 9' 5wt at a very good price. Would this be a good choice for the application I've been discusing considering how much I like Moderate-Fast and mostly dislike Fast rods, I know that it considered Fast, but its not as fast as a TICRX. What you all think. Or do you think The TFO Pro would be a better fit for me and this application as single hander. I really like TFO's too.

One more well sort of to through in the mix I just discovered the TFO Pro comes in a 9' 6" 5wt perhaps that rod would make a decent everything rod including if not especially for High Sticking and Czech Nymphing. I can't find any reviews on that specific rod and of coarse I could be getting overly optimistic at this point.

Last edited:

webrx

Reaction score
I fish the truckee all the time, I have friends that fish the truckee and while I own a switch rod, I prefer my standard old medium fast 5 weight on the truckee and most of them do as well.

I have a 7 wt switch rod I bought for Pyramid lake where larger fish are the norm and longer casts are required, and have never considered using it on the Truckee - maybe that is just me though.

I have never felt undergunned on the truckee with my 5 wt (medium or medium fast) fly rods. I do fish streamers, including crawdads and some bunny tails, but nothing really huge mostly size 8 or 10.

since you are considering a redingtion rod, I have an older redington 3wt I use for small streams and I love it.

I also fish only medium to medium fast rods and have never had an issue on the truckee with fishing streamers, nymphs, dries, etc. I typically water load and flip upstream with streamers, though I can cast a #8 or #10 beadhead without issue if I need to, and actually have on Davis Lake, from a tube with my 5 weights.

I had a fast speed rod last year, I didn't really like it, probably and old dog and new tricks thing, but it was way to stiff and I never really got the hang of it. I broke it one day casting a weighted bugger. Cabelas replaced the rod, and when they did I selected a medium fast rod and have no regrets. I am not saying the weighted streamer was what broke the rod, it was probably a defect, but, I am saying I do not prefer fast rods, and that I fish the truckee river routinely with a medium or medium fast rod.

As for fish size, the largest I have caught on the truckee is around 6 pounds, there are bigger fish in there, smaller ones too, but I do not feel undergunned with the 5 wt, and the last couple big fish (5 and 6 lbs) were released unharmed.

Just my two cents on 5 wts on the truckee.

If I were fishing big steelhead runs, or alaska salmon, I think I would go bigger, but for now, i am happy with what i have.

d

FrankB2

Reaction score
I had a fast 5wt that I bought in 2004, and tried to cast #10 Clousers with it. In close, it was fine. Casting beyond 30 feet was tough, but then I learned the oval cast and I was good for another 10-15 feet. :D I bought a $75 Cortland GRX 6wt, and that made life so much easier. I now own an even faster 5wt that will cast those same Clousers with ease, but it's much more pricey than the Cortland. ;) I always use floating line BTW.

I'd say if you want a budget rod, go 6wt.

hardhat

Reaction score
I would also consider going with a 6wt. With model changes with several rod companies I would look at some closeouts. The Sage VT2 is a nice moderate fast rod. If you wanted to go faster, the Winston Vapor can be bought at a great price also.

FlyBum

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have found a Quarrow Big Horn 5wt that I am going to purchase this is the same rod Ard (Hardyreels) has talked about so much, but his is a 7wt. I may purchase a 7wt also. I figure such a strong endorsement from someone of Ard's experience and expertise makes it worth a try especially since he compares it to rods that cost 10x as much and it will cost $78.89 shipped to my door. At that price I can still afford to buy the Redington CT 5wt I like so much as well.