Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boats

Default Re: Pontoon boats

Hi mojo,

I think your boat is great for still water and the standing platform is really useful. It doesn't seem like it would be as useful on rivers and that is what I fish. If you use fins to float with then the standing platform wouldn't be needed. I agree is is nice to have a platform for the times you might want to use it. It definitely makes the boat more flexible.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi mojo,

I think your boat is great for still water and the standing platform is really useful. It doesn't seem like it would be as useful on rivers and that is what I fish. If you use fins to float with then the standing platform wouldn't be needed. I agree is is nice to have a platform for the times you might want to use it. It definitely makes the boat more flexible.

Frank
    That's where the beauty lies. Drop your anchor a few feet and you can lean one side or another to guide it. Drop the anchor completely and sight fish to either bank. Even on stillwater I have my fins on.
    Standing platforms are not a passing fancy. They're here to stay. You just have to think outside the box, and not limit yourself to just sitting.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

3. Default Re: Pontoon boats

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi mojo,

Frank
    Frank, this boat is AWESOME for rivers. Granted on rivers FINS aren't needed but , you can definitely stand up with them on.
    Here are a couple of You Tubes that pretty much say, there ain't nothing these toons can't do:

YouTube - Dave Scadden's Pontoon Boat Playday V

We have his DVD that has him standing while going down white water. This You tube has a small section at the end of standing while moving:

YouTube - davescadden's Channel

5. Re: Pontoon boats

Mulled this over, pondered brands, options, and prices. My youngest son and I are in Gunnison, CO for a couple weeks of fishing the Taylor and surrounding streams. I had stopped into the Gene Taylor's store for a license. Low and behold, in their outlet store they had a Creek Supersport 9 foot, last years model, for 199.00 I just couldn't pass it up. I figure at that price, I can see if this is a style fishing I want to continue doing, or if it is one of my passing fancies. I will get it set up this week, and take it up to Taylor Lake to try it out. I picked up a floatation vest geared toward fishing; lots of pockets, and half the price of the inflatable, so will just transfer fly boxes to it. Anyway, I am tickled, and thank you all for the suggestions, and advice. Will take pics during the week and upload them as I have time in the evenings.

6. Default Re: Pontoon boats

Great score. That's a hellofa deal.
    Good luck with that and can't wait to see the pics.

Hi goin2themountains,

I posted a picture of your boat so others can see what you bought. The boat only has 6' oars and you might consider getting some 7' oars. It will give you better performance. You boat has PVC bladders and they will store better if you leave a little air in the bladders. It doesn't take much. You just want to keep the bladders from getting sharp folds in them for extended periods. You can roll them for storage in the motor home. If you fold them don't put any weight on top of them.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by goin2themountains View Post
    Mulled this over, pondered brands, options, and prices. My youngest son and I are in Gunnison, CO for a couple weeks of fishing the Taylor and surrounding streams. I had stopped into the Gene Taylor's store for a license. Low and behold, in their outlet store they had a Creek Supersport 9 foot, last years model, for 199.00 I just couldn't pass it up. I figure at that price, I can see if this is a style fishing I want to continue doing, or if it is one of my passing fancies. I will get it set up this week, and take it up to Taylor Lake to try it out. I picked up a floatation vest geared toward fishing; lots of pockets, and half the price of the inflatable, so will just transfer fly boxes to it. Anyway, I am tickled, and thank you all for the suggestions, and advice. Will take pics during the week and upload them as I have time in the evenings.
    With the money you saved, you need to pick up a pair of fins.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

it might be too late to add this for your needs but you'll probably figure it out on your own... there's no need to transfer everything to the flotation vest's pockets. use the storage pockets on the pontoon. i wore my chest pack the first couple of times i tubed and figure it out eventually. less bulk on your body the better. at least for me. and i agree about 7 foot oars. nice 'toon. if it doesn't work out for you, lemme know! i'll buy it. lol

eric
    fresno, ca.

10. Default Re: Pontoon boats

I have just had more fun than should be legal. Just one issue with wind on the small lake I have been fishing, and that's an anchor. I didn't have anything handy to use other than an old 2 5/16 hitch ball I had laying around in the back of the pickup. Fairly clean bottom on the pond, and in wind it drug the anchor. Lightest real anchor I can find locally is 8lb. and not sure I want to pack anything that heavy. My lard butt is about enough. Anyway, will try to post a pic here (first time, bare with me).

I was fishing Pothole lake #2 above Taylor Reservoir. Small enough to learn on, and large enough I could play without being in the way of bank fishermen. When the wind would lay, I picked up several 12in. rainbows, but tragically haven't learned how to hang onto rod, line, and camera at the same time. Will try to show some pics of fish later.
    thanks all so much for your input on my purchase. It's a hoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast