Help finding fishing guide

vidorian

Reaction score
Family and I are headed to Colorado this summer camping. We are staying at Molas Lake Park between Durango and Silverton. Would like to take a day fly fishing guided trip. Any suggestions on a good guide. Looking for someone personable and funny. We are not stuffy people and would like to have some fun and catch fish. 2 adults, 17 and 12 year olds. Probably only dad and son will fish while Mom and daughter watch. Looking for an outfit that will take us along for the ride even if we don't fish. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

DryFlyGuy

Reaction score
I really like the guys at Float n' Fish if you are going to fish on the Juan.

flyguy66

Reaction score
In that area, Duranglers and The Caddis Company are probably the best bets. But whatever outfitter/fly shop you choose, make sure you get an old fella for a guide! The youngsters who work out there tend to be pretty arrogant show-boats who think folks are supposed to pay for "the privelege" of fishing with them.

SJDrifli

Reaction score
Call the Caddis company and ask for Brian Capsay, that guy knows that area as well as anyone, patient, knowledgable and hell of a nice guy!

vidorian

Reaction score
Have contacted both Duranglers and the Caddis Company to see what kind of trip they have to offer. Thanks for the help. When you're a newbie, expert advice from someone who's done it is really helpful.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi vidorian,

If Bubba is still guiding for Float & Fish you can't do much better. He also works in the shop. I never fished with Bubba but he helped me out with some flies and where to fish with my pontoon. At one time we were both at the take out spot. He walked over and handed me a fly that they did real well with that day. Then he told me where and how they were fishing it. A first class guy that loves to fish.

Frank

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi vidorian,

If Bubba is still guiding for Float & Fish you can't do much better. He also works in the shop. I never fished with Bubba but he helped me out with some flies and where to fish with my pontoon. At one time we were both at the take out spot. He walked over and handed me a fly that they did real well with that day. Then he told me where and how they were fishing it. A first class guy that loves to fish.

Frank
Frank: Bubba sounds like a standup guy for sure! I did a Google search and found this link (is this the outfit you are talking about?):
Float N Fish LLC, Navajo Dam NM 87419 -- MerchantCircle.com

Larry

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
In that area, Duranglers and The Caddis Company are probably the best bets. But whatever outfitter/fly shop you choose, make sure you get an old fella for a guide! The youngsters who work out there tend to be pretty arrogant show-boats who think folks are supposed to pay for "the privelege" of fishing with them.
Ken, can't speak for Duranglers but Brian Capsay with The Caddis Company in Durango is a young guy and is a terrific guide. Caught the biggest rainbow I've ever caught under his guiding (no, not the San Juan, the Los Pinos near Durango). Everything SJDrifli said about him is true. Only problem with his "youth" is that he's in a hell of a lot better shape than I am for climbing those river boulders.

I've got good things to say about Bubba Smith as well. He did a good job guiding me into trout on the San Juan under poor weather and fishing conditions. Was the most generous guide I've ever used, free with giving me extra flies he'd tied for use on my own later in the week. Compare that with most guides who'll cut their fly off your tippit at the end of the day.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Larry,

Yes, that is the outfit. It is a good shop. I found them more willing to share information than Abe's.

Frank

Float N Fish

County Rd 4251, Navajo Dam, NM 87419
Contact Phone:(505) 632-5385

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Hi Larry,

Yes, that is the outfit. It is a good shop. I found them more willing to share information than Abe's.

Frank

Float N Fish

County Rd 4251, Navajo Dam, NM 87419
Contact Phone:(505) 632-5385
Frank & Larry,

If Bubba guides for Float 'n Fish, it's in addition to guiding for Fisheads of the San Juan []San Juan River Fly Fishing New Mexico, the only Orvis-endorsed guiding service in the area (FWIW). I also know from personal experience that he guides for Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service as well.

BTW, as I've said before on this Forum, Float 'n Fish is one of the finest fly-shops I've been to, and certainly the best in the San Juan River area. However, be forewarned that on my last trip up there last October, they charged me almost $5 a fly - and these weren't for big complicated bass or saltwater flies but for #22-#26 simple thread nymphs and midges. In fact, that experience is what got me back into fly-tying again.

Neil

flyguy66

Reaction score
I can't speak to the exceptions. I've heard good things about Brian C, also. But I was giving a general recommendation based on my knowledge of guides in the area overall...and that was Durango/Pagosa, not the San Juan in NM. Those are two different markets with just a bit of overlap - sort of like Lake Taneycomo/Beaver Tailwater/White River below Bull Shoals Dam/Norfork Dam tailwater in MO and AR. There is a bit of guide travel back and forth, but they are basically each separate markets with the exception of the White & Norfork.

DryFlyGuy

Reaction score
Bubba does not guide for Float n' Fish anymore. He was working in Arkansas for a while, but I ran into him on the Juan last fall. He was just 'fishing' with another gentleman, but I don't doubt for a minute that he guiding on the Juan for another company. He is a ton of fun to fish with and a true expert on the Juan.

I haven't had any positive experiences with Abe's, but I am sure they are a fine establishment. I've probably just caught them at off times.

If I am on the Juan, I am always stopping in at the Float n' Fish, even if it is just to say hi. I tie my own Juan flies, so I have no idea how much they charge for flies. I've purchased a ton of stuff from the the Float n' Fish, but never flies.