Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My First Cutthroat

1. Default My First Cutthroat

Hey all,

I'm from California and we do have Cutthroat trout. Just not very easy to get to for a southern California boy. Recently I took my family on a 10 state whirlwind vacation. I desperately wanted to add a Yellowstone Cutty to my resume. I did not suceed in Montana or Wyoming and we were only to stay in Idaho for two nights. Just as my chances became bleakest I hooked up a very little guy in a spring that feeds Cub River. A trirbutary to the Bear. At first I thought he was a small bow. When I got him in my hand I realized that he was a cutty. I caught him on a 16 parachute emerger of my own making. Though he was only about 7 or 8 inches he was my first and my satisfaction is complete. Friends see the pic and say, "that's it"? or, Damn that is small". They can't understand. that this little whiley dude is wild and not easily brought to on Mepps or Lip Ripperz. That is why I post here. Among those who appreciate my joy.

John

Blog Entries

Default Re: My First Cutthroat

John: That is way cool! Congrats on the cutty.
    If you ever get a chance you should try and make it out to the Snake River, WY or the South Fork of the Snake River, ID.............non-stop cutty action all day long!

Larry

or try rock creek here in missoula but congrats on the cutty how was the rest of the trip??

Congrats on your Cutty and . You came to the right spot. Good place; good people.

5. Default Re: My First Cutthroat

nicely done, I caught a similar cutthroat on the same drainage last summer.
    Great fish and congrats on your first cutty.

6. Default Re: My First Cutthroat

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwynn View Post
    or try rock creek here in missoula but congrats on the cutty how was the rest of the trip??

The rest of the trip was fantastic. Thank you for asking. The big waters were all running heavy just a few weeks ago and not very fishable. But, I'd like to tank you all for letting me fish in your beloved Rocky Mountains. John Denver was not lying. Come on out and enjoy our Sierras some time.

John

Blog Entries

Nice cut from a great strain! I think for variety, you could drive north, past Reno NV. to Pyramid Lake sometime. Bring your step ladder and an 8wt with a 300 gr. sinker. Modern record for a Lahoutan cut on a fly is around 28lbs. Many 6-10 pounders. Bring lots of warm clothes, best time is early spring and amazingly cold, and windy!
    Great place to hone your double haul too!
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

8. Default Re: My First Cutthroat

I am familiar with the Lahontan strain. Never been after them boys. I'll be in Hope Valley in October to hit the Truckee and Little Truckee though.

Blog Entries

Maybe give me a holler for bugs and such for Truckee area.Depending on the weather it may be prime, or low fow and warm on the T and the LT.
    Pyramid opens sometime in Oct. not sure about date. Cutties are dumb as a stump, but fun in the proper dosage. I recommend three days in late Oct. Shorts wading to chromers. Bobbers or streamers. Can't guide there, but might go fish it. Not as crowed in the fall.
    Think, a mile of High desert lake all to yourself on an inland sea. Sister lake to Tahoe.
    Let me know.
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

10. Default Re: My First Cutthroat

I appreciate that.