Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pick One Before You Go

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    I got to say that this list is getting some really good choices. These are all great rivers and more good ones will be named. But like nerka mentioned, you just can't beat some of the Alaska rivers when the Salmon are running. My choice is the Kvichak at the braids. The Salmon runs in the Kvichak run in the millions. Some stopping and much more heading to many rivers feeding Lake Iliamna and the Kvichak. Fishing any of the rivers in this system is fantastic

Frank
    I lived in the region for 10 years. I got so spoiled fishing in Bristol Bay. The Kvichak had a good return this season. I was fishing the Newhalen rapids this year with 200k escapement days.

For those who havent been there, when flying over Iliamna in a 737 at 20something thousand feet, you can look down and see massive schools of spawning sockeye. It looks like the lake is bleeding. Only in those mega glacial lakes of Bristol Bay can this be found. Becharof and Aleknagik are the same in this regard.

Blog Entries

The Kennebec in late September was always a spot I tried to make every year from 1978 - 1994. Maine is a beautiful place.

Until then I'll go somewhere and never tell where

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

The Arkansas in April. Ther are more reasons than just the fishing but the fishing is usually pretty good in April.
    Coy
    "Share your passion with others"

4. Default Re: Pick One Before You Go

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    I got to say that this list is getting some really good choices. These are all great rivers and more good ones will be named. But like nerka mentioned, you just can't beat some of the Alaska rivers when the Salmon are running. My choice is the Kvichak at the braids. The Salmon runs in the Kvichak run in the millions. Some stopping and much more heading to many rivers feeding Lake Iliamna and the Kvichak. Fishing any of the rivers in this system is fantastic

Frank
    I spent three glorious days there in September 1999 (stayed at Iguig). This after spending 3 days on the Tsiu and a day on Talarik Creek in route to Iguig. For sure, the mouth of the Kvichak downstream a mile or two is something worth adding to "the bucket list". Still, it would not be my pick... will tell all soon

"no matter where you go... there you are"

Blog Entries

Alta River, Norway. milt.

Gunnison in mid-June when the stones are coming off...

One that I haven't been on before...recently my daydreaming trip is the entire length of the upper Salmon River...cutthroats upstream, smallmouth bass downstream.

I've actually been on a few that have already been mentioned...Kvichak, Big Hole, North Fork...and I'd go back in a heartbeat. (Except I'd go for the upper North Fork above the lake...too crowded down below.)

8. Default Re: Pick One Before You Go

The lower Gallatin, or the a undisclosed stream on the front range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12