Missoula Fishing Video Update!!

montanawildoutdoors

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Montana Wild Outdoors crew has been hitting the rivers for some great March fishing!

[ame=http://vimeo.com/21945342]Fly Fishing Rock Creek 1.1 on Vimeo[/ame]

Edit #2
[ame=http://vimeo.com/21960841]A Day on Rock Creek - Episode 1.2 on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty nice work on the videos, but I was a little surprised at all the average sized fish, I would have thought there would be more big trout in Rock Creek, but then it is March and all the trout are just coming out of a long cold winter.

Larry

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Very nice. I'm thinking of relocating to Missoula or Boise. Any thoughts on either?

I'm concerned that, other than the outdoors there's not much to do in Missoula.

Randy

dhayden

Reaction score
Very nice. I'm thinking of relocating to Missoula or Boise. Any thoughts on either?

I'm concerned that, other than the outdoors there's not much to do in Missoula.

Randy
Almost everything in Montana centers on the outdoors.

Skiing, fishing, shooting, hunting, hiking, biking...

What are you looking for Missoula wouldn't have?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Pretty nice work on the videos, but I was a little surprised at all the average sized fish, I would have thought there would be more big trout in Rock Creek, but then it is March and all the trout are just coming out of a long cold winter.

Larry
There are a lot of 10-14" trout in Rock Creek, Larry, I'd say the average is in that 12-14" range. You certainly can catch bigger fish but 18" would be a really nice fish, well anywhere, but a special fish in Rock Creek. It's popularity comes by way of the number of those 12-14" trout you can catch, the tremendous public access of nearly 40 miles of blue ribbon water and the sheer postcard beauty of the whole place. Plus the prolific Salmonfly hatch, that is right around the corner, that gives anglers the chance at the big fish.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a lot of 10-14" trout in Rock Creek, Larry, I'd say the average is in that 12-14" range. You certainly can catch bigger fish but 18" would be a really nice fish, well anywhere, but a special fish in Rock Creek. It's popularity comes by way of the number of those 12-14" trout you can catch, the tremendous public access of nearly 40 miles of blue ribbon water and the sheer postcard beauty of the whole place. Plus the prolific Salmonfly hatch, that is right around the corner, that gives anglers the chance at the big fish.
Dean: Thanks for the info. I was thinking of making a trip up to Rock Creek someday, but now that I see the video I guess I have been spoiled fishing here in Wyoming.............er wait a minute, I don't recall ever catchig a trout in Wyoming!:D

Larry

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Ok, I'm going to say if if no one else will. Fun Vid's, but the way you handled those fish would get you arrested here in Oregon. Or at the least you're butts dumped into the river. A Klingon Death Grip rather than Respect?

Other (several) thoughts cross my mind but I'll leave it at that. I gave this thread a 'One Star' rating.

montanawildoutdoors

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to say if if no one else will. Fun Vid's, but the way you handled those fish would get you arrested here in Oregon. Or at the least you're butts dumped into the river. A Klingon Death Grip rather than Respect?

Other (several) thoughts cross my mind but I'll leave it at that. I gave this thread a 'One Star' rating.
Sorry you feel that way. No fish were harmed, but your opinion is welcome.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Fred, thank you for bringing this up. It can be a touchy subject but it is an important one. I meant to comment here on it but thought I would try to write a dedicated post - which I still plan to do - on photography and videography of fish.

Some of the fish in the videos here are definitely mishandled, I am sorry guys, but they are. And to respond that "no fish were harmed" is just not a fair statement, you simply do not know that. Holding a fish out of water for an extended period of time damages the gills. Now we all fish for reasons we share, and hopefully respect and awe of the fish is a universal. So when a fellow fisherman asks you to be conscious of how you handle our shared resource, try not to take offense and turn defensive. Take it for what it is, a call to try to be a little more conscientious.

If you are going to photograph or video the fish you catch you MUST use a net. First unhook your fish while it is in the net and in the water. If the fish was cleanly hooked and easily released then get your camera or have you partner get ready - while the fish is still resting in the net in the water - and take the picture or shoot the quick video and get the fish back in the water and resuscitated and finally released. Finally, video is great to watch for so many reason but not for watching a fisherman hold a fish out of the water for 10 seconds, that is what still images are best for.

Thanks for the link, Fred, this is great info. I actually have never hear about the internal damage from the "death grip".
A good read/review on the 'how to' of C & R: How to Catch and Release Fish with Maximum Survival Chances

littledavid123

Reaction score
I had actually sent a PM to one of our Senior members expressing my opinion of the way the fish were handled. It's not doing the fly fisherman any favors by putting this video on the web.

Personally I don't care to watch videos where the main concern appears to be getting ones face stuck in the film with a fish in hand. But hey...thats just me.

Dave

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
:welcomean

Kelly if I may allowed to share a couple of personal only thoughts here.

"As for the videos in question, I concur with what's been expressed thus far. While the videos were entertaining, we need to be careful with how we capture and release our fish. Nevertheless, fishing is a blood sport, and we all need to accept this or find something else to do."

As for me, I will be thinking strongly about whether this is where I should share my fishing report thread. No offense taken, but if admin feels this strongly about such things, perhaps I need to find a different venue...

Kelly."

As for the first, it is a "Blood Sport" ... if you need food. I have zero problem if keeping a fish, any fish, is for that need or desire. Heck, when you add up all the costs involved it may well be less expensive to stop by your local Albertson's or Safeway. But no where near as fun.

Out on the river this AM, 28 degrees when Jim picked me up. By 10AM I know I'm getting my first sun tan. Jim hooked 'zero,' I had a fish on for a total (maybe?) 6 seconds before he spit/pulled off the #8 "Agent Orange."

Did I give a hoot? No, because even if 'he/she' had come to hand, back out you go. It was a very good day!

As to whether this should be a 'place' to share your thoughts, do think about the "totality" of what goes on here. The odd post that gets a "Say What?"

For context, close to 50 years ago I was a 'Hunter.' Except my 'Prey' were other Humans, and I was damned good at it. Haven't held a weapon of any kind (odd unloaded exceptions) since. That said, I've been in serious conversations with Fellows that are very serious Hunters arguing over what 'Round/bullet weight/grains behind' were best for some sort of hunting of this or that.

Didn't bother me in the least, even knowing with hunting there is no "catch and release."

Take a deep breath and perhaps a step back and consider what was it that fluffed your tail feathers? You ARE posting with "A Band of Brothers," but one must allow for there may be more than one way of looking at 'A situation.'

This is one. Just thoughts from someone a few days short of 69.

Fred

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Mea Culpa;

My apologies are in line if what I had posted offended our members. We all have our reasons for participation here and it is not up to me to act as a collective conscience for the group. My post has been removed and I hope there will be no lasting fallout because of my words.

Ard

fishnskiguy

Reaction score

Thanks for reminding me why I don't want to live in Oregon. I never did have much truck for those "holier than thou".

Just for info, last week I participated as a Trout Unlimited member in the annual electro shocking fish count by our DOW on the Eagle River here in Colorado.

Judging from your post you would have puked on your shoes if you had been there. First, the shocked fish get put in a 2'X3' "live boat" which is a mesh sided floating gizmo. The "live boat" hauling guy follows the shockers during the upstream wade. Takes a full hour to cover the stretch, and there are forty-sixty fish in the "boat".

The live boat goes back to the starting point and everything is dumped into a 4'X4' net and is held there while the shockers make a second, one hour pass to get the fish that were missed. These fish were then dumped into the same net as the others.

Now it get worse.:rolleyes: The fish are scooped into a five gallon bucket, ten-twenty fish per bucket and brought ashore. Each one is pulled out, laid on a scale to be weighed, very little flopping to worry about as the fish are in what I would call total shock, then moved to a trough to be measured, then back to the five gallon bucket. Total time out of water: AT LEAST TWICE AS LONG what you saw in that video. Then they got an unceremonious heave-ho back into the river.

Frankly, I couldn't believe it either.

The reigning PhD fish biologist swore on his mother's grave that the mortality rate was less than 3%.

Just food for thought.

Chris

Last edited: