Montana in September

cactus23

Reaction score
Gday guys.
I'm heading up to, well over to the US after mid year and just working out the best time before getting too cold. Times I'm hoping for are after after the crowds dissapear and before the gaurenteed crappy weather rolls in? Also are there any season closures?

Thanks in advance.

James

coltonwynn

Reaction score
Western montana in sept this year in my prediction will not be good... we have 30% snow pack this year and Im guessing by early-mid aug the rivers will be hot if you HAVE to come in sept I would stick to tail water (Ruby Beaverhead Madison ect ect) the crowds are not what you would expect there not to bad (excluding salmon fly hatch during run off) as far as closeing when the water reaches a certain temp FWP will close down fishing due to stress on the fish it is unexpected and could happen over night if it were me travling as far as you are mid july will be the best time hoppers will be in full swing as well as all the hatches we have will also be in full swing

best of luck

colton

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Western montana in sept this year in my prediction will not be good... we have 30% snow pack this year and Im guessing by early-mid aug the rivers will be hot if you HAVE to come in sept I would stick to tail water (Ruby Beaverhead Madison ect ect) the crowds are not what you would expect there not to bad (excluding salmon fly hatch during run off) as far as closeing when the water reaches a certain temp FWP will close down fishing due to stress on the fish it is unexpected and could happen over night if it were me travling as far as you are mid july will be the best time hoppers will be in full swing as well as all the hatches we have will also be in full swing

best of luck

colton
Colton: Lets hope the second half of winter brings more snow!

Larry

coltonwynn

Reaction score
Thanks Colton.
I was thinking the same with the current poor snow conditions. Last year must have been a good season?
No Col I don't have to travel in September. I might have to make it a 7 not a 6 week holiday!
last year we had wonderful water for the most part the bitterroot got a little hot towards the end of the season but we had a wierd year we had 130% snow pack and one of the hottest months were sep let me know if you decide to venture towards missoula and maybe I could help you out some

colton

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Colton: Most of Wyoming is sitting at 68% of average right now, down here in the SE we are at 91% so we are in pretty good shape but the rest of the state sure could use some snow!

Larry

B

blackbugger

I was so hoping we could string together 3 years of at least average snowpack. Oh well... It's still early February hopefully March will see some serious snow. It's been great fishing weather right now though. I've floated the Stone the last three weekends. Lots of big fish on big streamers.

To the OP, I would second July or even more to my liking would be October.
October means the crowds are gone, the temps have dropped and the fishing is usually very good, not to mention the spectacular fall scenery. You are, however, entering the time of year where you COULD get a cold snowy event. Unlikely but it certainly does happen.

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
In the Yellowstone area, things stay crowded until after the equinox. The Madison will stay crowded right until the end of the season in early November. The Yellowstone, Gardner, Firehole thin out a lot after the equinox, especially the Yellowstone for floating.

Even in drought years any closures will be over by Labor Day. The Yellowstone area is much higher in elevation and doesn't have the irrigation drawdowns of some other areas, plus the Yellowstone is just a great big river. There's typically good Baetis, midge, and streamer fishing in the fall.

Note that if you can walk and like small streams there's no reason you have to fish with company even in the middle of the summer. July will be better than August this year, unlike the last two years.

slabster

Reaction score
when in april? Missoula will be your best bet the first two weeks for skwala hatches and bwo's. Also the tail waters will be fishing well by then