Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruby river Montana

60011006 Guest

Default Re: Ruby river Montana

i will mention that about 15 miles above resevoir the ruby and its tribs are in Beaverhead National Forest so there is complete access.

this is small freestone water.

Quote Originally Posted by 60011006 View Post
    i will mention that about 15 miles above resevoir the ruby and its tribs are in Beaverhead National Forest so there is complete access.

this is small freestone water.
    Good info. Is there a road nearby, or is it a hike into the NF for steam access,
    and how many miles of access in the NF ? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
    Good info. Is there a road nearby, or is it a hike into the NF for steam access,
    and how many miles of access in the NF ? Thanks.
    The Road Runs Along It...all the way from the reservoir to the headwaters and beyond. Once you hit the NF I reckon there numerous camp spots.

Report back!

Appreciate the info. I'm planning on being out that way late next month into early October, and will check it out. Thanks again !

Early October is about as good as it gets out here. The browns will be on the move and agressive. I've never fished the upper Ruby, but I would expect some big browns move up out of the reservior to spawn in the stream. Look for 8 inch deep riffles above deeper holes. And wade carefully to not trample through redds.

Also, you really have to go hit the Big Hole if you are that close. The big browns are certainly getting ready to spawn there, it can be epic.

Another nice thing.. the upper Ruby does have some grayling
    Dave

Unfortunately had little success at the Ruby when I was there at the end of last month (as did others I talked to), however the water looked like
    spring-snowmelt as the Corp was very busy working on the reservoir/dam. Maybe next trip my timing will be better ?

Unfortunately had little success at the Ruby when I was there at the end of last month (as did others I talked to), however the water looked like
    spring-snowmelt as the Corp was very busy working on the reservoir/dam. Maybe next trip my timing will be better ?
    The Ruby seems to be about the most temperamental river I fish..
    Dave

Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas

I am in houston for another month, send me a pm if you want to go chase some bass, catfish, or something in the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
    I am in houston for another month, send me a pm if you want to go chase some bass, catfish, or something in the salt.
    How is mud school going? Do you know where they are sending you yet?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast