Any idea what these are? (South Boulder Creek)

piddonkadonk

Reaction score
Caught a bunch of these beautifully colored trout hiking down to South Boulder Creek via Walker Ranch. Pulled 5 or 6 from the same hole. Just trying to figure out if they're brooks or rainbows due to the green coloring and pink spots. Any help? Thanks.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Von Behr strain brown trout, imported and populated in the US at the end of the 19th century and early twentieth century. First introduced to the Ausable River in Michigan where they flourished. In the years since they have been established throughout America. Von Behr were native to Germany thus the moniker German Brown.

piddonkadonk

Reaction score
Didn't meant to scare the cr*p out of all of you. Can promise that I was not squeezing despite it looking like that, and that my hands were wet on the inside. Not sure what else I can do to really prove that one, but I understand the legitimate concern. All the fish made it promptly back into the water safe and sound.

Davo

Reaction score
Didn't meant to scare the cr*p out of all of you. Can promise that I was not squeezing despite it looking like that, and that my hands were wet on the inside. Not sure what else I can do to really prove that one, but I understand the legitimate concern. All the fish made it promptly back into the water safe and sound.

Nice day of Brown Trout fishin!!! Glad to hear you took care of the fish handling!!

piddonkadonk

Reaction score
Thanks Davo. Grew up lake fishing in MN/WI so this was my first real fly fishing outing where I actually caught something. 5-6 browns had me walking on the moon!

Have done a bunch of lake fishing with a fly rod and caught everything from largemouth to shallow running baby walleyes, but catching a trout on a fly rod has got me HOOKED now.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
No worries man, just razzing you more than anything. Congrats on the hook ups! What parts of MN did you fish?

piddonkadonk

Reaction score
Grew up in the Twin Cities and fished lakes around the area when at home (Prior Lake, Minnetonka, Crystal Lake, etc). Would take a couple of trips per summer up to Mille Lacs, Brainerd and Northern Wisco (some Superior fishing) as well.

moe b

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Nice to see you got got thick skin and are good with the comeback:"wet on the inside" that was hilarious!:D

Thats just the peanut gallery, they're just messin with ya in fun. Keep posting and try to catch some bigger ones next time; then lip em like a large-mouth....that always gets a laugh..:p?

Again, 'Welcome' and keep the pics coming!!

Moe;)

piddonkadonk

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty cool. I was watching some fishing show on TV and they had an interesting stat that there is something like 20 lakes with muskies within 20 miles of downtown Minneapolis. Not sure many cities can say that. Although, not sure many cities have winters as horrible as MN!

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
The cold is what drove me out of there. Well there were a few reasons but yeah it's freaking cold there! I miss the fishing though for sure.