Coming to Jackson Hole

harlon

Reaction score
First of all I'm new here. I am coming to Jackson Hole on the 29th of this month. I'm planning on going to Yellowstone for a day or two, but I know I will be fishing Jackson area for 3 days. Never been there. I need to know what type of gear I will need. I know I need a rod and flys, but my concern is waders, and other gear. Also any places to fish will be helpful. I plan on buying my flys etc at a local shop in Jackson. It will be a wild cat adventure, but I will have fun trying. I have fly fished in the smokies, but never out west. Some of you might can compare the two. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
From the deeeep south!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Are you more interested in smaller streams or big rivers?

Floating or wading?

Any interest in hiring a guide for a day to show you around and what tactics to use?

The Jackson area has so many options, especially if you look within a 50 mile radius. My self, I would seriously consider a guide for a day, and if you think about floating The Snake River give Davo from the forum a shout. He's a local Guide with up to date info and I'm sure he'll do his best to get you into fish.

Don't forget to bring the camera, you'll have plenty of pics to take.

harlon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking at small streams, wading. Float trip would defenitaly need to be guided for me.

Davo

Reaction score
Harlon

You will want your waders. Water is still and will be high and cold when you get here. Our snow lasted a long time this year. By the time you get here the water should have cleared up in many streams. Top picks near town will be Pacific creek, Gros Vente, Crystal Creek, Hoback, and if you don't mind possibility of bears Glade creek. The Snake will be running high and hard but not impossible to wade up in the park above Moose. If you not against a drive of an hour or so there is the Green above Warren Bridge and the Salt and Greys rivers too.

harlon

Reaction score
Thanks Davo. The top picks you mentioned, what species of fish will i be after. Also a good tackle shop close by to purchase equip, flys etc.

thanks again

Davo

Reaction score
Thanks Davo. The top picks you mentioned, what species of fish will i be after. Also a good tackle shop close by to purchase equip, flys etc.
thanks again
All Cutthroat trout except for the Green and Salt river. Then it would be Cutties, Browns and Rainbows.
Good shop in town would be Dornans Snake River Angler right across the street from the Albertsons Grocery Store.

harlon

Reaction score
I have read several reports for the jackson area. Are they biting good now? i know the water has a lot to do with it. Im still a week from getting there.

Davo

Reaction score
There are place to fish but most the main waters are off color and running high. But the water levels are dropping nicely and water clarity will also improve. You said you were coming the end of the month so your timing should be perfect. That is when I'm expecting to finally get to floating the areas rivers and doing some guiding.