What am I doing wrong?!

out2trout

Reaction score
Man ... went to the blue, platte for carp, and dream stream and can't seem to hook any fish. Last year was a good success but this year is bad. Do I just need to find secret waters? It's pretty frustrating driving for hours to get in some fishing, but never catching anything. The first time at Dream Stream it started to rain so I couldn't really see any fish rising. Blue seems to be a lot faster this year with a much greater flow and the water levels are higher, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go this year?

Thanks for any advice and happy fishing!

oldfatman

Reaction score
Blue has never been kind to me and dream stream can be tough. If on one of the more technical rivers new to me, I always, always, always stop at a local shop to get the skinny (and even though I tie my own, buy at least a couple of flies they recommend for their trouble). Most will give you tips on how to fish them which can be the difference between a good day and a frustrating day. If you are new to the sport (or even not so new if you can afford it), a guide can really shorten the learning curve on something you are going to fish again. Having said all that, it can be really rewarding to be persistent and figure it our for yourself. I'm no expert but a couple of things I see a lot that can really hurt your success- fishing too fast and wading where the fish are. If fishing clear water, look for fish to cast to- spend time fishing to fish rather than fishing water if that makes sense. You knew all that already but now it's out of the way and someone who knows something that can help can chip in.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with the advice the others have provided. Another idea would be to see if there is a TU Chapter in your area or a fly fishing club, check with your local fly shop they should be able to help. If you can join a local club and ask for some personal hands-on help it will go a long ways toward learning how to fish those waters.

Larry

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Man ... went to the blue, platte for carp, and dream stream and can't seem to hook any fish. Last year was a good success but this year is bad. Jog the memory banks and try to think "what has changed from the last time you were there?" and try to adapt to the changes. Around the West we've had an abundance of run-off going well into Summer so on many waters the fish are hanging in different spots such as the edges, behind structure, or sitting on the bottom of deep holes. So you need to find the fish and figure out how to present your fly to them, whether it be to fish the edges & structure, or using more split shot or a sinking line if they're hugging the bottom when nymphing or streamer fishing. Another thing to consider with the water flows is that the water has been colder and many hatches have been delayed.Do I just need to find secret waters? It's pretty frustrating driving for hours to get in some fishing, but never catching anything. The first time at Dream Stream it started to rain so I couldn't really see any fish rising. Perfect time to nymph or throw meat. Blue seems to be a lot faster this year with a much greater flow and the water levels are higher, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Huge factor....adapt to it. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go this year?

Thanks for any advice and happy fishing!
Blue has never been kind to me and dream stream can be tough. If on one of the more technical rivers new to me, I always, always, always stop at a local shop to get the skinny (and even though I tie my own, buy at least a couple of flies they recommend for their trouble).Opening the wallet in the local shop is always appreciated, and be willing to listen closely.

If fishing clear water, look for fish to cast to- spend time fishing to fish rather than fishing water.That advice right there is spot on!
Be patient we're all having an odd year, but things are looking up and the Fall fishing should be spectacular. and if you haven't tried streamer fishing yet.....learn!

out2trout

Reaction score
Oldfatman - Thanks for the advice. I've heard about the Blue being rough for others as well so I think you're on to something with that one. When I fish, I actually always observe the water for a long period of time before fishing. If I don't see fish rise or anything action, I'll just cast where I think fish are. The water in every place I've went to has been a lot less clear than usual and I think it's just the bad weather that has been following us around for the past couple of months. I need to listen to your advice regarding excessive wading though as I'm guilty of that.

Troutbuk_bk - Is this bear lake you're talking about? Where is bear creek? Thanks

Mcnerney - Thanks, I'll look into that.

Fyshstykr - I think the only things that has changed since I've been there last year is the drastic amount of rainfall. The water level is very high compared to what it's at last year and the flow is a lot faster too. I think this makes for a pretty bad fishing experience. I'm horrible at nymph fishing and have been trying to find some youtube videos but they are pretty rare. To start, I think a sinking line like you suggested would help a lot. How do you suggest fishing faster waters? Thanks for the help.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
.Fyshstykr - I'm horrible at nymph fishing and have been trying to find some youtube videos but they are pretty rare. To start, I think a sinking line like you suggested would help a lot. How do you suggest fishing faster waters? Thanks for the help.
Out2Trout: Check these videos out: The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Advice from the Guides-Fishing with Nymphs & Strike Indicators

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO3t5lKfPd4]How To Nymph Fish - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VjXqTnfTs]Thingamabobber Strike Indicator - Nymphing tips by Red's Fly Shop - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz4e6JCR_dE]High Stick Nymphing Techniques - by Red's Fly Shop - YouTube[/ame]

Larry

oldfatman

Reaction score
"I think the only things that has changed since I've been there last year is the drastic amount of rainfall. The water level is very high compared to what it's at last year and the flow is a lot faster too. I think this makes for a pretty bad fishing experience. I'm horrible at nymph fishing"

Higher and off color water can be used to your advantage on bigger water by fishing close to the bank and use shorter casts. Fish are likely more concentrated along edges and seams where life is easier. If you can't see fish, they are less likely to see you and be spooky. Also, pick your spots to fish even if you can't see fish-Look at the picture on that first video- I like the spot right behind the fisherman down past the rocks below him- slower water, drops off deeper next to the rocks and appears to be close to midstream so a good opportunity for fish food to be channeled in. There's a fish in there- guarantee it! Put a decent presentation with a dry and a dropper ... Where is that spot? The more I look at it, I want to fish it.