Dream Stream Renamed In Honor of Charlie Meyers

yatahey

Reaction score
Division of Wildlife Dedicates State Wildlife Area to Charlie Meyers

FAIRPLAY, CO --The Colorado Division of Wildlife will dedicate the "Dream Stream" portion of Spinney Mountain State Wildlife Area in Park County to Charlie Meyers, longtime outdoor writer for the Denver Post who passed away in January.

The dedication takes place at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, June 12 along the South Platte River at Park County Road 59 south of US Highway 24 via Park County Road 23.

The Charlie Meyers State Wildlife Area is home to one of the most renowned trout fishing destinations in the country.

"It is fitting that this spectacular property was chosen by the Wildlife Commission to honor Charlie," said Tom Remington, director of the Colorado Division of Wildlife. "Charlie was a champion for sportsmen and the wildlife resources we all cherish. We look forward to commemorating all he accomplished for hunters and anglers, and the marvelous way he told their stories."

The dedication will feature several of Charlie's friends, family and Division of Wildlife staff members speaking about Charlie's life and what made him an icon in the sporting community.

The State Wildlife Area features a kiosk highlighting some of Charlie?s accomplishments and also includes recollections from his friends and family.

To get to the Charlie Meyers State Wildlife Area from Denver, take I-70 west, merge onto C-470 east via exit 260 toward Colorado Springs (5.7 miles). Merge onto US-285 south toward Fairplay (68.3 miles). Take a slight left onto CO-9 (16.2 miles). Turn left onto US-24/CO-9 (1 mile).

press - Colorado Division of Wildlife

I never met Charlie but I know how much he loved the outdoors, sportsman and the environment of Colorado.
In his honor I fished the Charlie Meyers State Wildlife Area yesterday.
A couple of pics of the area:

Yesterday's catch:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yta: Great story and photos, thanks for sharing! I never met Charlie either, but like most of us in the Front Range, read his outdoor articles over the years. Good to see that the Colorado Division of Wildlife has recoginzed his work with this dedication.

Larry

gjcordray

Reaction score
I second that. Charlie Meyers was instrumental in so many Colorado fishing projects. I really looked forward to reading his stories on the back page of the sports section each week. He is sorely missed as a fixture in our state. The renaming is a fitting tribute to him.

Were those pictures recent?

Gary

yatahey

Reaction score
Yes Gary. The pics are from June 18th. FYI they dropped the flows on the "Charlie" from 300cfs to 100 cfs since June 22 till today.