Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID this bug?

1. Default ID this bug?

I was down at Decker's today and was using my "seine" to see what was in the water and caught these. I'm pretty new to entomology, so I was looking for some veteran help identifying them. I compared them to a couple caddis larvae and mayfly nymphs at Trout Nut, but nothing really matched exactly. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ID this bug?

I'm no Deckers expert but I would be using a Stone Fly Creeper nymph to imitate that one............

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Mayfly larvae.

Sorry, I don't know the specific genus or species

Might try here to see if you can match a picture.

Welcome to BugGuide.Net! - BugGuide.Net

Blog Entries

Good one! It very well may be, I don't really know........... but I have a nymph pattern that looks like it

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

That's a little net spinning caddis larva, can't tell you the exact genus, species, yada yada yada, but I can tell you it's a caddis.

6. Default Re: ID this bug?

I think fyshstykr naild it: a net spinning caddis. After his post I did some reading and found this page: Caddisflies (Order Trichoptera) or Sedge flies which had a really good break down of caddis flies. My initial mistake was only knowing about the free living caddis, never having seen or read (that I can recall, I'm sure I did at some point) about the net spinning variety.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    That's a little net spinning caddis larva, can't tell you the exact genus, species, yada yada yada, but I can tell you it's a caddis.
    I second this ..
    In some of my rivers caseless caddis are in bigger numbers than ,let say normal ,case caddis species

Blog Entries

Fysh is the man!

Now that you mention it the picture where it is doing the 'inch worm' thing is a giveaway.

I was looking at the little legs and thinking of a nymph pattern called 'Stone Fly Creeper' I'd probably still use the creeper pattern to imitate it

Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

No, Planettrout is the man. Nice find.

This would be a great addition to the bug thread, now if someone will post a pic of their imitation and a recipe....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast