Montana Trip Inquiry

houli

Reaction score
The wife has offered me a 4 day trip to fish in Montana for my birthday. I've done some research online but figured I'd put it out on the forum for some recommendations (rivers, streams, creeks, time of year, guides, places to stay etc.). If there are multiple spots in a relatively close range that's great too.

A bonus would be staying in a cabin riverside ..... but not a requirement.

Please PM if you don't want to put spots on blast.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any/all help.

Ryan

dean_mt

Reaction score
Wowser, that's a helluva birthday present! My wife asked me this morning what I wanted for my birthday...hmmm...

Are you looking at four days of fishing? Guided fishing? Let me answer is this way, if I had 4 days of guided fishing and could pick anywhere, I would go to Twin Bridges and fish the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Jefferson and then see how I feel. Maybe a day on one of the spring creek ranches down there.

dhayden

Reaction score
What size rivers are you looking for?

Wading, Drifting? Probably any thing you'd like, there's an area for you.. .just need to narrow down the big items.

A sample to think about:

Missoula (Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Blackfoot, Rock Creek)
West Yellowstone (YNP park and all the rivers there, and the Madison)
Livingston (Yellowstone, Spring Creeks)
Twin Bridges/Dillon (Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Ruby)
Ennis (Madison, and more close enough)

for a 4 day trip.. pick one area that seems like it has the river sizes you'd like, rather than spending all your time driving around.

ETA: I was typing as Dean posted.. lol

houli

Reaction score

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
If you have your heart set on Montana I would vote for Twin Bridges or Ennis. There is alot of good public access with great fishing.

If i took a fishing trip out west i would go to cody, wyoming.

Give me the Clarks fork of the yellowstone, greybull river, and the Shoshone any day of the week. The fishing is just as good as Montana, there are 10% of the fisherman, and you get into more cutthroats.

hookworm

Reaction score
Don't rule out the MO...Missouri. If you want to catch Alaska size Trout go to Craig. Most fish per mile than anyother river in MT. Talk to Cross Currents and you can take a jet boat ride up to the Dam in an area the called "Land of the Giants". Or you can just walk down from the Dam and wade fish. Otherwise get a guide and float, 20 fish a float is fairly common when your with someone who knows what they are doing.
During the caddis hatch the Boulder river in Boulder is a lot of fun and some decent size fish too. Caught a 18" Brown in that little river...I couldn't believe it. The Little Blackfoot is also close and offers good fishing. All can done out of Helena...flght, hotel.
Scenery is not as cool as the others listed in case you want the whole "Montana experience"...Boulder River has some cool views though.

scottj1990

Reaction score
The wife has offered me a 4 day trip to fish in Montana for my birthday. I've done some research online but figured I'd put it out on the forum for some recommendations (rivers, streams, creeks, time of year, guides, places to stay etc.). If there are multiple spots in a relatively close range that's great too.

Ryan
Bozeman Montana, or better yet three forks.

andrewmalek55

Reaction score
I grew up on the Blackfoot and let me tell you, you can spend a month and never hit the same hole twice, but as far as making a trip I would recomend Bozeman area. It has the Gallatin, Madison, and Jefferson within a short driving distance, plus it has easy access for walk in. Hope this helps!

dean_mt

Reaction score
I grew up on the Blackfoot and let me tell you, you can spend a month and never hit the same hole twice, but as far as making a trip I would recomend Bozeman area. It has the Gallatin, Madison, and Jefferson within a short driving distance, plus it has easy access for walk in. Hope this helps!
Andrew, welcome aboard. Where on the Blackfoot did you grow up, you lucky devil, and are you still in the area?

andrewmalek55

Reaction score
Well Im from Lincoln, but at the moment im attending college at MSU-Northern, so im kind of far away from any good rivers, So I do allot of traveling

dean_mt

Reaction score
Well Im from Lincoln, but at the moment im attending college at MSU-Northern, so im kind of far away from any good rivers, So I do allot of traveling
I just got back from an overnight trip to Great Falls...the upper Blackfoot looked soooo gooood. As a matter of fact, I am just sitting on the coach scouring the those pages of my map. I have only fished up near Lincoln once...I feel terrible every time I remind myself that. All those little tribs up there have me very curious. Without naming any names...would it be worth the 80 mile drive for me to explore some of those little cricks? It always worth it, but you know I mean.

dharkin

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing about the creeks in the Missoula area Dean_mt. I intend to find a few during my visit and I hope you can join us.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing about the creeks in the Missoula area Dean_mt. I intend to find a few during my visit and I hope you can join us.
Do you guys like to walk? It's a 6 mile walk - not even a "hike" really - very gradual incline on a old road bed up the Rattlesnake to the fishing boundary. You have to go that far because the creek used to be Missoula's water source, now it is the auxiliary or emergency source so they still haven't changed the rules. Anyway, 6 miles up, a very nice scenic stroll and you are in a nice meadow, the creek is small and cold and beautiful and the cutthroat fishing is really fun.

Otherwise, I can point you to a couple of the creeks in the Bitterroots, that I like best.

What are you dates again? We will definitely have to fish at least once.

andrewmalek55

Reaction score
Yes! well worth it, Right now would be a good time to go before the snow melt is in high gear. But after the big melt the fishing is awesome, usually late june and then on.

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey Dean_Mt,

We arrive on Friday the 14th of September and depart Saturday the 22nd. Walking isn't a problem with us and the size of the fish doesn't matter. The more secluded and natural the surroundings are the better.

devon flyfisher

Reaction score

Ryan
Blimey where does one start?
I would also go along with the Madison as a nice float trip.
I spent a whole week on Rock Creek see Big Horn Bed & Breakfast in Philipsburg, MT | Big Horn Bed & Breakfast they also do cabins, you wont need a guide on Rock Creek, but i think drift boats are banned after 1st July.
Hopefully i am over to hunt your deer/elk later this year, and will throw in the fly rod as well as the gun.
Cheers
Richard

Reaction score
Hey Gents-

I'm a bit new to the forum, but I've been fishing the Bitterroot valley for the last 5/6 years, and will be up again this August (6-16). I've got family in Hamilton (on Skalkaho Creek!) and will be free to travel around the SW MT region, as the wife and kids won't be coming this trip, and the family I'm coming to visit will be away for a few days, so I'm thinking i'll hop in the truck and do some fishing. I'd love to meet up with some of you locals for some trouting!

Oh, and I've got a few spots in the area you may want to check out! More wade fishing than floating, but if you're looking for some tribs/creeks, try Skalkaho southwest of Hamilton, and I'm a huge fan of the east fork of the Bitterroot. It's always in the shadow of the big rivers further downstream (Main Fork of the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, etc. in the missoula area), but i've YET to have a bad day fishing there- almost all cuts on hoppers, and most over 12"- some 18"+.

There's still tons of water to cover- you almost can't go wrong up there.

best luck and here' s wishing you all noisy reels this summer.
sp