it was worth a try

williamhj

Reaction score
My brother and I have been getting antsy to get out on the water. Neither of us fished in February and only got out a couple times in January. We hit a couple spots close to Denver today, fighting the wind, but came up empty. I only saw one fish, though usually I see a number of fish as I spooky them, if not catch one or two. Bit disappointing from the catching perspective, but worth getting out for a bit and a chance to try out some recent ties. Gets me fired up for warmer weather.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
William: I agree, it is always nice to get out, here it was forecast for 40 mph winds and sure enough it has been blowing so I didn't go out but sure am getting antsy.

williamhj

Reaction score
For us the wind was gusting. Sometimes pools were clear as glass, but then the wind would pick up. Had some strong gusts, grab my hat and steady my stance...

jimbaker488

Reaction score
William: I agree, it is always nice to get out, here it was forecast for 40 mph winds and sure enough it has been blowing so I didn't go out but sure am getting antsy.
I came thru Pinedale last Fall on the way back to SLC to catch my flight, and I was wondering what and where the good trout streams were in your area ?

vitesse304

Reaction score
Where did you go fish? I fished the S. Platte in Denver the week before and it wasn't very productive. I'm no expert on the S. Platte in town, which is probably why I hate it since I can't find any good spots. Having fished it a handful of times, I've only caught a couple fish and nothing special...

If you're going to fight the wind, you might as well just run down to the Dream Stream. I fished it on Sunday and had a good day. On and off winds around 20 mph with gusts over 40. Just your standard day in South Park.

And don't wait for warm weather to get out there! Fishing is just as good if not better in the winter. Low crowds, lower flows, easier to sight fish and a chance to catch a fish of a lifetime at a tailwater.

The Yampa is a great place, and after April 1, you can drive in again. LOTS of hungry fish and lots of big boys too. I fished it last Thursday and it was AWESOME! The hike in and out sucks...but it's worth it because of the quanitity and quality of the fish there.

williamhj

Reaction score
We didn't have time for the dream stream, just fished near chatfield while my wife hiked a bit with our baby. As for where to fish near Denver, s Platte. Good public access below chatfield and then waterton canyon, when it's open. They are widely know areas but better than nothing if you don't have much time. If you're up here again shoot me a pm and I'll tell you some smaller areas to hit.