Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Fly fishing instruction in Ft Collins, Co

My son just moved from Louisiana to Ft Collins, Colorado. He loves to fly fish, but mountain stream fishing for trout is unfamiliar territory for him.

I see that St. Peter's Fly Shop and Rocky Mountain Adventures both offer one and two day fly fishing classes. Would these classes be worthwhile for a novice?

Default Re: Fly fishing instruction in Ft Collins, Co

I've not taken a guided trip through St. Peter's in Fort Collins nor have I talked to anyone who has. Perhaps someone else can comment on that shop specifically.

If you are new/novice, I do believe that a guided trip (with a patient and knowledgeable guide) is highly valuable. I personally like to go to public access water so that at the end of the trip I have at the very least one place where I know I can go back and catch fish. Nothing wrong with private water trips, I simply prefer learning both technique and learning of a new location that I can return to in the future.

I would certainly recommend considering a guided trip through Laughing Grizzly Fly Shop (Longmont Colorado). They do all sorts of front range trips and one of their specialties is Rocky Mountain National Park (about 75 min from Fort Collins). Dick Shinton is a great contact there.

I'm confident that you can find a good guide in the nearby front range and that Laughing Grizzly is not your only option. It's the closest one to Fort Collins with which I've had experience.

-Paul