Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi all,

My name is Brad and I live in Sheridan, WY. I am new here and to fly fishing, I guess I came to learn from people in the area. So, I have a rod, reel, a bunch of flys, leader, tippet, what else do I need to go? I want waders, but not really sure I would use them so can you get them used? This spring, I want to get a guide to take me and help teach me is that a good idea or not?

Thanks for any help,

2. Likes Davo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Introduction

Brad.If you intend to fish streams and rivers waders will be very useful...you can find some rather cheap ones...try to find a fishing club in your area or an experienced fisherman who can help you ...you may find one here on the forum.As for a guide why not when you get some basis.

4. Likes Davo liked this post
    Blog Entries

f1

Using a guide can be very useful. You should also consider clubs like trout unlimited or calling around to various shops and see if there are any fly fishing classes you can enroll in!! Anyway welcome to fly fishing and the forum!! Enjoy!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    f1

Using a guide can be very useful. You should also consider clubs like trout unlimited or calling around to various shops and see if there are any fly fishing classes you can enroll in!! Anyway welcome to fly fishing and the forum!! Enjoy!!
    Thanks for the sugestions, as for the class, the parks department has a casting class it is 1 1/2 hours long 4 times put on by the guy that owns the fly shop in town. It is only $35 for all of it, and yes I am signed up.

Hi Brad, Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to visit and chat with people that are familiar with your neck of the woods. The knowledge of these folks will amaze you. Do you have any fly shops near you? If so, I would start doing your research and learning there. If not, there are many DVD's and books that will get you going.

My very first piece of advise to you would be; be patient, and take the time to enjoy the learning process. Too many bad experiences at the beginning of the learning process can ruin it forever. Your local TU chapter (like Davo mentioned) is a resource that most people overlook. Everyone thinks that TU just wants your money or is just for those people that know how to fly fish. Call them or email them yourself and find out.

Good luck and I hope you remember to have fun.

Take care

PS>>>>>>>this might help

Joel Wilson Interim President Little Bighorn Chapter of Trout Unlimited (307) 751-6397

8. Likes Davo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
    Thanks for the sugestions, as for the class, the parks department has a casting class it is 1 1/2 hours long 4 times put on by the guy that owns the fly shop in town. It is only $35 for all of it, and yes I am signed up.
    Good for you, casting class can help alot. Look for some actual on the water classes too. That will help with reading water, fly selection and situational strategies!! But most of all like dharkin said..... Have fun!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place.
    Okiemountaineer

We do have a fly shop in town, it seems nice, and the class I signed up for is being taught by the owner of the shop. I like to go in and just look around and hang out for a while and listen in when other people come in to get stuff. I hope people don't think I am just nosy but I am just trying to learn to lingo and what people are acutally getting. I am also trying to get a relationship with them and bought everything I have so far from him.

Blog Entries

Brad: Welcome to the forum! You live in a great area to learn fly fishing. Lots of remote lakes in your area that have some tremendous Cutthroat if your willing to do a little hiking.
    Larry

Blog Entries

Hi Brad,

Glad to have you with us.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast