Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cimmaron River in northeastern New Mexico ?

Default Cimmaron River in northeastern New Mexico ?

I've read there's good public access along state HW 64 in the Cimmaron Park area ? From what I've read this is a very small stream but there's good
    Brown population, though fishing pressure is heavy ? Spring fishing (April into early May) before snowmelt is usually good from what I've read ?
    Anybody got some experience on this stream ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cimmaron River in northeastern New Mexico ?

Yes, I've fished the Cimarron every summer for the last 10-12 yrs. It's right along HW64 so easy access means you do have to put up with the crowds. I usually fish the Palisades area to start with, then move to Blackjack. It is a small, very brushy stream so short rods are best. I use 6.5-8ft, 3 and 4wts. I usually fish in mid September when a lot of the crowd thins out. There's a little store(Pine Ridge) in Ute Park where you can get your license and some flies. He can hook you up with Doc Thompson if you want a guide. There's a charge to stop in the parking areas, not much, but a nuisance. May want to stop in at Gravel Pit lake, down the road from Palisades. Good Luck! Glen

Quote Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
    Yes, I've fished the Cimarron every summer for the last 10-12 yrs. It's right along HW64 so easy access means you do have to put up with the crowds. I usually fish the Palisades area to start with, then move to Blackjack. It is a small, very brushy stream so short rods are best. I use 6.5-8ft, 3 and 4wts. I usually fish in mid September when a lot of the crowd thins out. There's a little store(Pine Ridge) in Ute Park where you can get your license and some flies. He can hook you up with Doc Thompson if you want a guide. There's a charge to stop in the parking areas, not much, but a nuisance. May want to stop in at Gravel Pit lake, down the road from Palisades. Good Luck! Glen
    Great info Cimarron, that should be very useful. Thanks a lot I'm very grateful.
    I'm going in a couple weeks, probably not the best time of the year to go fishing there but I'm trying to fit it in with a visit to the wife's family in Albuquerque.

Blog Entries

go to Cimarron River | New Mexico Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions for a lot more info on the Cimarron.