Muskie on a Fly Rod

joerouse

Reaction score
Ran into a large muskie holding in a creek above a reservoir. (Check out the link to a video I took of the fish) It seemed to be feeding on the surface, but it would not take the dry fly I presented. I did get it to take a Wooly Bugger, but it snapped my line immediately.

Any tips on tackle and/or techniques needed to land a large river muskie?

VIDEO:
https://vimeo.com/42526972

ak allen

Reaction score
You have to get a pike/musky leader, something like Cortlands toothy critters. it is a braided steel leader. They are still knot-able. And when you do land it make sure to have something to grab it with other than fingers. They have a mouth full of nasty teeth and will shred a thumb instantly. Other than that good luck!

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Hard to tell by the video if it was a muskie or pike. The color tends to make me think it's a pike. Either way all the above still applies.

theboz

Reaction score
Have no idea by the video what that fish is. But I do know one thing he is having a feast! He keeps on sticking his head into the flow and all that food that's tumbling down is going down his throat. You should be able to throw anything at a fish that actively feeding and get a strike!

joerouse

Reaction score
[/COLOR]Hard to tell by the video if it was a muskie or pike. The color tends to make me think it's a pike. Either way all the above still applies.

I know its hard to see on the video, but the fish had very defined stripes on its' side that made me think Tiger Muskie. Do Pikes have similar markings?

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Joe,

Tyger Leader is a great product for toothy fish. The leader has a thin layer of clear plastic. You simply twist the stainless steel braid 5 times, heat the end with a lighter, and you have a knot that will not break.

If at all intersted, we have been developing leaders for toothy fish, but have yet to add them to our store. (not enough guys buying toothy leaders). If you are interested, email me back, I am sure we can figure somthing out that will work.

We normally attach the Tyger leader material to one of our reinforced sprectra braid leaders or a reinforeced flourocarbon leader (loop to loop_) connection.

If you do not get from us, check out tyger leader...
TyGer Leader: The first knottable stainless Leader designed to handle toothy fish.

thanks

tbblom

Reaction score
Vanish is correct, only Tiger musky in there. I just read they were introduced to control the sucker population.
If you guys ever want to meet up and do some exploring around there let me know (ie, if you know where we are talking about!)
You'll most likely catch a bunch of these up there.

joerouse

Reaction score
You'll most likely catch a bunch of these up there.

Wait... that looks an awful lot like the growler I caught today:

They must be cousins!

This area does demand thorough exploration. Is it possible to hike from the inlet (aka Muskie Country) to where the the river meets the road? If so, this is grounds for a meetup for sure. Having cars a point a and point b sure beats the hell out of hitch hiking.

Just to get the juices flowing, here are a couple other pics of some fish I landed in the area this morning.

tbblom

Reaction score
I went to the inlet this evening. No musky sighting (dude, I am seriously jealous!), but I did have the inlet all to myself for a few hours. Managed to hook a big bow in the river, but never landed it. Little stocker trout were slapping at streamers, but not with much success.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Wait... that looks an awful lot like the growler I caught today:

They must be cousins!

This area does demand thorough exploration. Is it possible to hike from the inlet (aka Muskie Country) to where the the river meets the road? If so, this is grounds for a meetup for sure. Having cars a point a and point b sure beats the hell out of hitch hiking.

Just to get the juices flowing, here are a couple other pics of some fish I landed in the area this morning.

I will drive up from AZ to fish to the musky, while you fish the trout. HAHAHA! And then I will assist in shuttling ppl back and forth......Musky is next on my list of fish!