Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question - May in the Rockies

depends on where in CO you want to go. Honestly, there really is no runoff this year and most if not all rivers are running low and relatively clear.

Just like what other members have said, tailwaters and stillwaters are an option, but lots of places that aren't are fishing well.

The colorado is just coming off an epic salmonfly hatch, the eagle and gore creek are low and clear with just a tinge of brown in the afternoons and the stoneflies will be coming off much sooner than July this year.

The roaring fork looked a little dirty, but that'll clear up quick.

overall, this is the year to fish regardless of the time of year in Colorado. lower flows, non-existant runoff and fish got to eat right?
    My fishing in Colorado Blog: http://coloradofly.blogspot.com//

Question Re: Question - May in the Rockies

Hey Vitesse,
    I've been reading that this is a low water year. I'm visiting tomorrow through the 6th of June. I thought I'd try my luck either in the Deckers/Cheeseman Canyon area which is a close trek from Denver or maybe the Thompson if I'm in Boulder. I usually visit my parents and in-laws once a year and this is it. Any suggestions for low water and reasonable results? I was hoping to turn my 14 year old on to flyfishing but opportunities have been scant on our last 2 visits with very high water on the Eagle, etc. for the last couple of years.
    Thanks,
    Racine

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question - May in the Rockies

I fished the Big Thompson up the canyon today out of Loveland and we flat hammered them. It was a 25 fish day in about four hours of fishing.

Hi Vis Parachute Adams size 18 with a Olive beadhead Barr Emerger in 18 underneath it and it was hot fishing. Landed my biggest Rainbow on a fly rod today. He measured out at a shade over 15" and was well fed.

My buddy was hammering them on a size 20 red copper john today.

Flows are real low for this time of year but were great for fishing
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

4. Default Re: Question - May in the Rockies

flows on the poudre yesterday were maybe 500 cfs at the most, got into fish looking up for those big salmonflies and were chasing down chubby chernobyls. Red copper johns were also a hit yesterday on the poudre.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12