Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Clear Creek (Idaho Springs)

My brother in law came to town to visit so I figured we head to a local fishing ground to see if we couldnt wrangle up some trout. This was my first time fly fishing this river and was pleasantly surprised. We both had a great day. Did dry flies from about 230pm through sun down and I landed about 12 browns and he was at about 8 or 9. Nothing huge to write home about but was definitely a lot of fun. Kaufmann Stimulator (Green) was striking all day long. Definitely want to go back and see if I cant find some better holes with maybe some bigger fish.

Default Re: Clear Creek (Idaho Springs)

I've got some holes I like and some more I want to explore, including one trib. Have the day off tomorrow and hope to head out there. Looks like a nice day on the water

I have never fished clear creek because when I lived in Morrison and Evergreen I had not gotten in to fly fishing but! I know plenty of friends now a days that fish it, and can tell you there are some fish in that river that will suprize you!

I really want to check out Bear Creek next time I am in the old area. I always loved playing around the river when I was young and now I can think of plenty of spots to fish it.

I love catching trout on drys from hole to hole in a small creek setting. Give me a little more water and fishing like that any day!

Nice day indeed cant wait to get out in the next two days my self.

-B

Bear creek is fun but currently closed. Flows were too warm and low. In June I checked in a few spots and it was over 65 degrees. Hopefully it gets some water and recovers well.

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Bear creek is fun but currently closed. Flows were too warm and low. In June I checked in a few spots and it was over 65 degrees. Hopefully it gets some water and recovers well.
    Yea I hope it does, that is really high. I know some rivers around us are going though low flows warm temps too. Nothing to drastic like that yet.

Hey frontranger;

Sounds like a nice day, great photos! I was up on Clear Creek yesterday for a few hours, but I was just a few miles downstream near the 6 and 70 junction. Discovered that the fish are a little bigger than downstream - and all I've ever caught are browns.
    Last edited by cgrphoto; 07-19-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed URL to Blog.

I've caught browns and cuttbows further upstream, by our shooting range in Dumont. Plenty of fish in there.