Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default River temps this season in Colorado - a discussion

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are able to get out and do some fishing. I got out today locally close to Denver and packed it around 3pm, because my thermometer registered 67 - this was on the Clear Creek, which was fishing horribly anyway, so I presume the temps had something to do with it.

Which leads into the premise that there should maybe be more awareness about this issue? There was another angler setting up while I was getting off the water and I politely notified him that the water's warm, and to consider not fishing until it cools down. He gave me a blunt look, and was basically upset at the fact I told him it was prudent not to fish. So I walked away and packed up, and he went down to the water. Was I wrong to do that?

So, I suppose the question here is, would you notify other anglers of warm conditions? Personally, if another angler had shared this info with me, I would have thanked him or her for taking action and making me aware. Many anglers don't own thermometers so this would have been good knowledge.

Thanks for reading, I know this may not be the most enjoyable post, but I'm just a bit conflicted, and want to ensure the fisheries remain in good condition and the trout aren't becoming to stressed.

Default Re: River temps this season in Colorado - a discussion

I think it's good to take the temps and be aware of it. I have a thermometer and check. Frankly when I'm wet wading I get a sense when I get in whether I should check or not. If folks seem open it's fine to inform them but we can't expect to control their behavior. For better or worse, unless the fishery is closed (like Bear Creek) people can do as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are able to get out and do some fishing. I got out today locally close to Denver and packed it around 3pm, because my thermometer registered 67 - this was on the Clear Creek, which was fishing horribly anyway, so I presume the temps had something to do with it.

Which leads into the premise that there should maybe be more awareness about this issue? There was another angler setting up while I was getting off the water and I politely notified him that the water's warm, and to consider not fishing until it cools down. He gave me a blunt look, and was basically upset at the fact I told him it was prudent not to fish. So I walked away and packed up, and he went down to the water. Was I wrong to do that?

So, I suppose the question here is, would you notify other anglers of warm conditions? Personally, if another angler had shared this info with me, I would have thanked him or her for taking action and making me aware. Many anglers don't own thermometers so this would have been good knowledge.

Thanks for reading, I know this may not be the most enjoyable post, but I'm just a bit conflicted, and want to ensure the fisheries remain in good condition and the trout aren't becoming to stressed.
    The temps are all over the place. I didn't think that Clear Creek would run warm. At noon today, Bear Creek at Lair 'o the Bear was 66. DOWN to 66, and running full for a change. No, I'm not fishing it...In contrast to that, North Fork just downstream of Foxton Rd was 56 on Saturday.

In Clear Creek, how many fishermen do you think are actually concerned about the temps? It's meat fishing, they're only going to hurt the fish once. I know there are exceptions...
    Last edited by nickj; 07-26-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: wasn't finished..

In Clear Creek, it's gotta just be me!

I would argue that there are going to be fisherman that don't entirely understand how important the temperature is. It is easier to blow somebody off than to start a dialog and possibly learn something. Being a newbie to this myself, I am just learning about those temps make sure a big difference.

6. Likes shortyb liked this post

I think what you did was a good thing. There are a lot of new anglers out there like my self included, that are still learning. While I know about water temps and how they effect holding water and life of the fish. Many people around the Denver area I am sure just dont care or know because they just started.

Even though he mean mugged ya I bet he noticed that the fishing was **** and the water was warm so maybe now next time he might consider that before heading out.

I know a lot of my friends in CO are heading to the high country and doing some pack trips because the heat/flows have effected the fishing so much.

It may be helpful to explain the effect of water temp on fish. I would geuss most folks are not out to harm the fish they just don't know any better.
    I for one am a newbie to the sport. I know that as the water warms the fish are less active and more stressed, but I'm not sure anyone has ever explained to me at what temp you should just not fish and why.

Warmer water holds less oxygen. That is rough enough for trout but if they have to fight when caught in warm water they may not be able to recover.

I wet waded boulder creek monday morning and with all the rain they got sunday afternoon the water flows were up and the temps had dropped some (took a good hour and half for my feet to regain feeling). But yeah the week before the temps were definitely pretty warm.