Next month,RE:Lewis and Harks Montana Exp of 2012

dharkin

Reaction score

I am starting the final prep for my long awaited trip. I have a rather new pair of wading boots but they are not felt soled, should I bite the bullet and buy a pair of felt soled boots now or wait? Is Rock Creek the only area in the Missoula area that I need the felt for? I will be strictly wading for the week if that helps at all.

I am trying to figure out what I MUST pack and what I can AFFORD to buy from the local shops. I know that I will be relying upon local fly shops heavily for fishing info and prefer to spend my money in their shops in return for such information. I just want to be sure that they have the items in stock that I may need.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score

I am starting the final prep for my long awaited trip. I have a rather new pair of wading boots but they are not felt soled, should I bite the bullet and buy a pair of felt soled boots now or wait? Is Rock Creek the only area in the Missoula area that I need the felt for? I will be strictly wading for the week if that helps at all.

I am trying to figure out what I MUST pack and what I can AFFORD to buy from the local shops. I know that I will be relying upon local fly shops heavily for fishing info and prefer to spend my money in their shops in return for such information. I just want to be sure that they have the items in stock that I may need.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I'd wait. Many places are making felt soles illegal as they transport invasive species too easily. Giver your waders a try here and see how it goes. If you need new ones, every fly shop in the U.S. will have them.

Or, you could add steel studs or cleats to the soles of your waders. In many places they work better than felt.

Chris

shortyb

Reaction score
I'd wait. Many places are making felt soles illegal as they transport invasive species too easily. Giver your waders a try here and see how it goes. If you need new ones, every fly shop in the U.S. will have them.

Or, you could add steel studs or cleats to the soles of your waders. In many places they work better than felt.

Chris
I don't see MT making them illegal any time soon tbh. Secondly people need to realize that cleaning your gear is more important than not using felt. I find that any wadding boot you buy felt or not will still transport invasive species in the laces, mesh, and in side sole of your boots. This is why you clean your boats, same reason should apply to your wadding gear.

If you fish waters that are known to carry, clean with bleach please. Always wash your gear when traveling between watersheds simple as that.

With that said, I would recommend felt in many of our rivers if your mainly wade fishing. Or at the very least like Chris said studs help but nothing like felt. I have tried my rubber soles for my korkers in the rivers around me and fell all over, made fishing from hole to hole a real pain in the ass.

dean_mt

Reaction score
hey Dan. I've been out of the country for a bit ... if you haven't already gone and bought new boots I'd say don't worry about it. At the river levels you'll be fishing it won't be that much of an issue. Rock Ck can be slippery but the river you'll be wading is low and you won't probably need to get any deeper than your knees (if that) to get to any hole you want. Basically, you won't be fighting strong currents anywhere.

Have you considered studs for you boots? I think it was Ard that wrote a great review of a couple different options for installing into your rubber bottom boots.

I am strongly considering non-felt when my current boots finally bite it, they are getting close.

You'll be here in a 4 weeks, right?

dharkin

Reaction score
Welcome home,

I haven't bought any new boots yet. After talking to a few folks, I was going to wait and see what the conditions were when I arrive. I think my existing boots accept screw in studs, so it may not be an issue (I just have to figure out which studs) if I need them. Don't forget that you have a sick day coming up in mid September. I will send you a PM as a reminder with our schedule and my contact info.

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks, save the money ... you'll find something else to spend it on that could be more useful down the line.

The sick day is on my schedule! As my co-worker says; I feel scaly throat coming on. Ha!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I don't see MT making them illegal any time soon tbh. Secondly people need to realize that cleaning your gear is more important than not using felt. I find that any wadding boot you buy felt or not will still transport invasive species in the laces, mesh, and in side sole of your boots. This is why you clean your boats, same reason should apply to your wadding gear.

If you fish waters that are known to carry, clean with bleach please. Always wash your gear when traveling between watersheds simple as that.

With that said, I would recommend felt in many of our rivers if your mainly wade fishing. Or at the very least like Chris said studs help but nothing like felt. I have tried my rubber soles for my korkers in the rivers around me and fell all over, made fishing from hole to hole a real pain in the ass.
Plus 1 to the above and the way I've 'solved the problem' is with the new Korker Chorme with the interchangeable bottoms. Pick a bottom that meets the need. The 'felts' actually appear to be a woven pollie plastic of some sort. Will dry in under 30 minutes in a hot car (ditto the boot). Want studs in those?

Hit a 'Big Box' hardware store and get a box of #8 x 1/2'' "hex Wsher Head" sheet metal screws (best if you can find aluminum ones!) Fastest way to install is with a TINY pre-drilled hole then insert the Hex Washer heads with a 1/4 ratchet. One in each corner of the heel and then every 2'''s around the out side of the boot bottom (I don't put any in the middle).

If you want to make the application even more secure a dab of Gorilla glue before screwing in the 'stud.' Once that glue sets up, the things aren't going anywhere.

One type of 'stud' that's even more 'aggressive' is the "Kold Kutter Racing" studs. This are the things are used on the bottoms of motor cycle tyres for racing on (of all things!) ice. Same dimensions as the stuff above. Any motor cycle shop (or on line) should be able to get these things for you.

But why the 'Chromes?' Top opens up to the size of a two gallon bucket (very easy on/off) and the Boa lacing takes seconds to adjust to any 'comfort level.'

dharkin

Reaction score
The boots that I bought last year are already set for the installation of studs from what I can tell (to include the colored round areas that indicate where I should place them.............I am such a loser). I will give the studs a try and start from there. Dean_MT has been more or less "My Guide"on this trip so far and if he doesn't see a need for me to purchase boots prior to the trip, then that's good enough for me.

The manufacturer's studs are a story by themselves in terms of price, I will take a look at your choice Fred and see what comes of it. I figure the only tough part will be finding screws without a point (just in case they are too long), but nothing a pair of 9 inch linemans pliers can't take care of.:thumbsup:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The boots that I bought last year are already set for the installation of studs from what I can tell (to include the colored round areas that indicate where I should place them.............I am such a loser). I will give the studs a try and start from there. Dean_MT has been more or less "My Guide"on this trip so far and if he doesn't see a need for me to purchase boots prior to the trip, then that's good enough for me.

The manufacturer's studs are a story by themselves in terms of price, I will take a look at your choice Fred and see what comes of it. I figure the only tough part will be finding screws without a point (just in case they are too long), but nothing a pair of 9 inch linemans pliers can't take care of.:thumbsup:
Not to worry; 1/2 inch is the 'key' save for the Korker Chrome rubber bottoms (they're very thin). Anything (thickness) at/over and you're home free. :thumbsup: On the 'rubber bottoms' just put the 'screw in's' in a cleat and you've got your half inch and then some.
fae

dharkin

Reaction score
I can't belive I missed your post that day. I am sending you a PM now with contact info for September.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Sorry Fred, The PM is to Dean_Mt.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Got it, PM sent.

For the record, I was on Rock Creek today and take back what I said. Felt, good...you want the felt!

prismfisher

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I live on the Root and walk down almost every night fishing..... I just wear tevas but if you are planning to come here as a destination, you need boots with felt. It is very slippery right now. However I do agree, you can walk inside the high water marks from hole to hole.

Just .02:icon_smil