Self Giude Day Trip Out of Denver?

missin44

Reaction score
From time to time I get to Denver staying at a hotel near the old Stapleton Airport. I'll be renting a car and can leave the hotel around 8:00AM and must be back by around 4:00PM. Access must allow a rental car, I can bring waders but would prefer to leave them at home. In summer months wet wading would be nice or even the ablity to just fish from the bank. I would like to fish more than drive, at least keep it east of the Vail Pass. Frisco being the furtherest west I would want to go. Further east even better.

Anyway any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

mtboiler

Reaction score
You got 8 hours and that includes driving. If you want to fish 4 hours, that gives you about a 100 mile radius. Going up I-70, if it is a weekday is easy. But Frying pan is 4 hours. So you can go south to Colorado springs or west to Summit county or north to BigT.

missin44

Reaction score
You got 8 hours and that includes driving. If you want to fish 4 hours, that gives you about a 100 mile radius. Going up I-70, if it is a weekday is easy. But Frying pan is 4 hours. So you can go south to Colorado springs or west to Summit county or north to BigT.
Thanks, I made an edit to my post.

countr21

Reaction score
I live in Denver and my favorite quick little getaways include Clear Creek west of Golden. South Boulder Creek through the Walker Ranch loop. The Blue River from Silverthorne to Green Mountain Reservoir is great. Then there is the South Platte below Cheesman Lake. The Blue and South Platte give you a great opportunity for large 'bows and browns.

Even though I love fishing lakes I have never been so Spinney or Antero. These lakes offer an outside chance at very large rainbows or browns without the crowds of the Blue or South Platte.

Waders are not an absolute necessity for any of these waters but they would be very helpful. If the weather is nice, wet wading is an option on all of these waters.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Still about the same. I lived in Summit for 12 years. you can fish the Blue in sandals and be fine. Water is cold, but you got a lot of shore line. If you go to Summit on a saturday or sunday, doubles your drive time back in the afternoon. Clear Creek is a good option but same situation driving on the weekend. Going west I think your option is the Blue. During the weekdays the Blue will not be busy either. THe Big T should be considered as well.

Reaction score
Clear Creek follows I70 through Idaho Springs is a great little getaway and about an hour drive from Stapleton (I live in Stapleton to give you reference on where Ive been and how long it takes). Deckers is also a good little area to fish, its down south a bit, about an hour and 15 to get there. Ive had great fun on Clear Creek, its narrow enough not to need waders and wet wading would be pretty easy. Deckers can be wider in spots but also shallow so wet wading would be doable. Both Deckers and Clear Creek are super easy to park and fish. A rental car would handle it no problem. Ive heard that South Boulder Creek (about an hour drive) is great as well, and fishing well right now. The Big Thompson is in Estes Park, about an hour and a half from Stapleton, beautiful scenery. Unfortunately the last time I was up there I had the kids in tow and they didnt cooperate with me to get in some fishing. Hope this helps, Good luck!

mhaith

Reaction score
Don't forget Rocky Mountain Natl. Park. The Big T is great but for another 15 minutes of driving, wet wading and getting some 'Colorado', nothing beats some small stream fishing in the park!