This time next week

dharkin

Reaction score
Hi,

It has been about 16 months since I have been able to take a weeks vacation and I can't wait to arrive in Missoula next week! My buddy and I have been planning this trip for well over a year. My first post to this site was around the first of June last year and the posting name was something like “DIY Trip 2012” which was later changed to "Lewis and Harks Expedition 2012", thanks to Larry.

I just wanted to take the time to recognize the administrators of this site and to thank all of the individuals that have assisted me (us) for the last year or so in the planning of this trip. I never thought that I would be able to gather so much information and “meet” such a great group of people on any website. While in Missoula, I plan to meet some forum members, shake their hands, buy them lunch, and maybe even fish their waters with them.

I promise to do my best to post photos of the trip and I will try to describe the trip to the best of my ability when I get home.

This DIY trip would not have been possible without a website like this!

Thanks again,
Dan

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I wish you good weather and plenty of fish on your line. I believe you're going to meet up with John D. while up there, he is a good fellow. Have a safe trip and take plenty of pictures.

Ard

caseywise

Reaction score
have a great trip and enjoy your time there.
i used to live in missoula. fishing is awesome, people are awesome and sometimes i do regret not living there still:icon_frow
on another note, do your self a favor and one evening make your way to the dinosaur cafe in the back of charlie b's on higgins. best nola food outside of nola.
period.

casey

dean_mt

Reaction score
do your self a favor and one evening make your way to the dinosaur cafe in the back of charlie b's on higgins. best nola food outside of nola.
period.
And still one of the more diverse places you'll find Montana. I didn't know you used to live here, Casey. When was that?

Dan: The weather has been fantastic. Every morning feels like fishing to me now (I mean more so than the average day), crisp and cool. A fire blew up down in the Bitterroot just S of Hamilton which is only 50 miles from here. Today is another "Red Flag" warning which mean low humidity and high winds. I'm afraid that fire is gonna get a little worse before it gets better. Been really smokey in the valley yesterday and today. I escaped it on the Blackfoot yesterday.

Talk to you soon!

dhayden

Reaction score
I'll be driving through Missoula on the way to Washington to do a little Stellheading.. I'll wave - lol

Hope you have a good trip.. and try the correct side oif the divide next time :)

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'll be driving through Missoula on the way to Washington to do a little Stellheading.. I'll wave - lol

Hope you have a good trip.. and try the correct side oif the divide next time :)
Easy kitty! ;)

We've got more water and less smoke...this year.

Good luck steelheadin.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: Best wishes for a great vacation fishing in Montana! Even with the low water year, I'm sure you will get into some awesome fishing and have a wonderful time. Take lots of photos, they don't all have to be fish shots, we love the river/landscape photos just as much.

Larry

dharkin

Reaction score
Can't we all just get along?;)

Dave,

I have a rather strange feeling that this won't be my last trip to your great state. Maybe next year I can try your side of the fence. The simple fact that Dean_Mt is paying for my air fair (just for talking nice about him on this site) is going to be tough to beat! What are you asking for?:cool:........................Ard or Larry.........You in? Dave's buying!

dhayden

Reaction score
That side of the divide needs to pay for people to come fish... lol

dean_mt

Reaction score
If only it were true, Dave...

But the season of solitary fishing is nearly upon us! O how I love fishing during hunting season!

dean_mt

Reaction score
The 10-Day forecast looks perfect for you Dan. We got a light frost last night, in town, which means it's still pretty cold up Rock Creek at 10am. Cold nights and warming to 70 during the afternoon is ideal!

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Dan, have a great trip!! I'm jealous buddy! Make sure to take gratuitous amounts of photos to flood the thread with on your return, and let me know if you'll be headed back toward my area again this year, maybe we can actually meet up to fish. As of October I'll have an extra bedroom, so my place will be like a safehouse for fly fishermen passing through Steelhead Alley. That offer stands for all forum members as well!

dharkin

Reaction score
One more day of work and then we fly on Friday. Paul (the other guy) and I have be counting down the days. Due to our type of work, we don't always get to work together, but we have been working on the same job for the last two weeks. I drew the short straw this time and I am in charge of this job. He calmly looked me in the eyes this morning and said " I hope you realize that I am already on vacation and there isn't much that matters to me". I respoded with " well, what the heck are you going to do tomorrow (Thursday), that's our last day before we take off. He answered, " even less than today"

That's my buddy!

AJ, I promise that I will do my best to post pictures and maybe even start my first blog. The trip to your area deserves another visit but I will have to look at time, money, and work and then get back to you. Although I never got a hit last year (in the 3 hrs that I fished), one of those bad boys crested the surface 5 feet in front of me and it was huge! I do want another shot and I will let you know.

Take care all,
Dan

PS............Dean_mt, I will give you a call Friday when we arrive. I figure Paul and I will start with Matt in the AM for the conditions of the listed waters and then discuss the "lessor" waters that intrigue me. Sunday is on for us if you are up to it.

Talk to you soon,
Dan

dhayden

Reaction score
Dan.. how did it all go?

A little smokey over there. hopefully wasn't too bad

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's been brutal, Dave. The smoke has been pouring in from the Idaho fires just over the Bitterroots for a couple weeks now. While Dan was here we had some bad days but also some pretty clear days, at least we could see the surrounding hills. They got out of town and into some beautiful country too, I was happy about that. It just sucks when visitors come and can't even see the hills!

How is over there? I've heard that the haze is pretty much covering the state ... except Great Falls. If only there was something to do in Great Falls!!

dhayden

Reaction score
We went through Missoula on the 12th and 15th on the way to Steelhead fishing.. it was worse there then. Still hazy here. But it was bad all the way through to where we were in western Washington. Hopefully - we'll get that long awaited snow and put these things out. Bridgers are sort of the measuring point.. they're 10 miles from here.. fairly clear today.. of course that's relative to last week

Found a secret little coffee place, up by you on Reserve street.. Just north of the freeway.. lol

dharkin

Reaction score
Sorry guys,

I haven't had any free time since I got home. It's about 7:30 (EST) now and I'm still working. I will do my best to post photos and a general report of the trip as soon as I can. I will say this............I had a great time with Dean_MT and he was a great host. The smoke was bad but nothing that would stop a guy from fishing. Let me get the photos together and I will post the datails as soon as I can.

Take care,
Dan

PS>>>>>>>Yes I just posted this as I am upgrading a system in California......what could go wrong?

L

Liphookedau

Incidently,one of the Guys from our Club is at present in The US & advised another one of the guys he was in Montana & did a Float & caught some Cuttthroats which he said was beaut,however I've forgotton The River.
I'll have to check it out next time I Fish with him for future reference as I realise there are many Operators.
Brian.