Green River, WY Float Trip

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
A friend and I decided to do a float on the Green this morning before winter sets in, when we left the house the temp in town was 19 degrees, but it warmed up nicely by afternoon. Although it was cold, we were dressed for it, but the ice in the guides was a big pain, at least for the first few hours. The water was pretty low and we had to pull the boat through several shallow areas, but the fall scenary was beautiful. We didn't see another boat all day and the wildlife was out in force which made for interesting viewing along the river. We found the fish were on the feed bag which keep us busy throughout the day, here are a few of the photos:

Last edited:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend and I decided to do a float on the Green this morning before winter sets in, when we left the house the temp in town was 19 degrees, but it warmed up nicely by afternoon. Although it was cold, we were dressed for it, but the ice in the guides was a big pain
:eek:
:eek:What is it going to be when winter's here?:D:D
Nice place Larry....clear water...great to fish on sight;)thought your guide license had been cancelled:confused::DHave a good trip in California;)

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I can only wish for weather like that Larry. The big rainbow looks like the best fish of the trip but all look good from here. I face quite a dilemma here, my Valley rivers are still not in order and although some rivers and creeks are doing well for steelhead they are 270 miles away. Without any real time info on water levels I am reluctant to make the trip......... So I'm fishing in small streams for the little guys but even that is tough because there are still silvers in the little creeks. The presence of the salmon makes a good case for not striking when you feel a pull and for a barbless hook. I had a few on the other day but managed to get them to come loose without having to land them.

mikel

Reaction score
Larry...Nice day! Guess I missed seeing this first time around. I have to get to that river in the next couple of years somehow.

It's getting chilly up high in the Sierras too...not really cold yet, but getting below 32 a lot of places. Winter is not far off and the passes will be closing...bummer. Steelhead and tailwater time coming up.

-Mike

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry...Nice day! Guess I missed seeing this first time around. I have to get to that river in the next couple of years somehow.

It's getting chilly up high in the Sierras too...not really cold yet, but getting below 32 a lot of places. Winter is not far off and the passes will be closing...bummer. Steelhead and tailwater time coming up.

-Mike
Mike: You get out this way give me a shout, I have a drift boat and we can do a float together.

Ard: I hear you about catching little guys, I have been doing the same thing around here, except with my new friend who has lived here for years is giving me a much better insight into where to fish locally, that local knowledge is everything. You're correct that rainbow was the biggest fish landed, but I had an even bigger fish on that did an LDR on me and stole my fly to boot.

Larry

countr21

Reaction score
Hecks yes, Larry! Well done my friend. Those pics are beautiful...I am jealous to a high degree!!! As I said a few months ago on this forum, I was blessed enough to fish the same waters you talk about. The Green is very agreeable I must say. Thank you so much for posting pics and your report. Keep em coming!! I look forward to it. ;)

L

Liphookedau

Larry.
Nice well conditioned Rainbow going into Winter,we are out of Winter & into Spring as our Climate is in Reverse of yours.
Brian.

tbblom

Reaction score
Something tells me that Ard's 'little' fish would be our 'big' fish in the lower 48!
Nice views on the green.
I fished there as an abject noob and had a hard time but saw so many nice fish. Cant wait to get back there to fish below flaming gorge. hopefully on a float some day.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Thank you for the conditions update. Very helpful so that I know about what weather to expect

jmac321

Reaction score
Larry,

The first pic in the original post is a hog. That fish looks like a 5 or 6 pounder. Is it the pic or was it that big or bigger? Great fish one way or the other.:)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,

The first pic in the original post is a hog. That fish looks like a 5 or 6 pounder. Is it the pic or was it that big or bigger? Great fish one way or the other.:)
JMAC: Yes it was a very big fish, but the next one I hooked into was even bigger, but he did an LDR and stole my fly. I should have cut that streamer off and retied the knot but got lazy. The interesting thing was that we floated approx. 13 miles and all the fish that we hooked were all poded up in the deep holes. The water this time of year is exceptional clear and very low so it is easy to spot fish, but I didn't see a single fish that wasn't in a deep pool.

Larry

jmac321

Reaction score
JMAC: Yes it was a very big fish, but the next one I hooked into was even bigger, but he did an LDR and stole my fly. I should have cut that streamer off and retied the knot but got lazy. The interesting thing was that we floated approx. 13 miles and all the fish that we hooked were all poded up in the deep holes. The water this time of year is exceptional clear and very low so it is easy to spot fish, but I didn't see a single fish that wasn't in a deep pool.

Larry
I see. I loathe those LDR's. I used to be pretty good about retying after catching big fish, not so much anymore. It never fails the next fish you hook will be the biggest one in river or lake and snap, there goes the fly. :eek:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I see. I loathe those LDR's. I used to be pretty good about retying after catching big fish, not so much anymore. It never fails the next fish you hook will be the biggest one in river or lake and snap, there goes the fly. :eek:
JMAC: That first fish was a really big battle to get to the net, the fish keep doing these really hard head shakes, I should have known better and taken the time to retie that knot, but there is always next time, something to look forward to.

Larry

leftyg

Reaction score
Larry,
I enjoy your posted and thought I would say hello for my 1st post on this forum. The Green is a great river, love to float it any chance I get when I am in the Pinedale / Jackson area. If you find yourself on the other side of the range in the Lander area maybe we can have a few laughs.
Gary

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,
I enjoy your posted and thought I would say hello for my 1st post on this forum. The Green is a great river, love to float it any chance I get when I am in the Pinedale / Jackson area. If you find yourself on the other side of the range in the Lander area maybe we can have a few laughs.
Gary
Gary: Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! I have a drift boat if you want to do a float sometime. Right now the New Fork is open, but really low flow. When I looked at the Green last week it was still pretty much frozen except for some open seams in the corners, but this weekend was nice so I'm going to take another look today. I was planning on heading down below Fontenelle Reservoir this morning but was kind of slow getting some shopping done so that will have to wait until tomorrow. I usually get over there once or twice a year to float the Bighorn or occasionly I will go over to the Grey Reef.

Larry

leftyg

Reaction score
Hi Larry,
Planning to be in your area first week of June. Hoping to sneak in before the runoff really gets going. Wonder how you think things are stacking up for the Green and also the other side of the Winds down around Lander.
I know you got some late spring snow.
Appreciate your prediction, maybe we can meet at the Warren Bridge
Gary