Wading Green River Utah

chris_n

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any wadable fishing locations on the Green River in Utah, I have never been out there and I know a lot of guys float it but if you know of a general area that is wadable I would really appreciate it.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris: I'm assuming you mean below Flaming Gorge. That land is all BLM land so it is all public access and the BLM has built a walking path from the dam all the way through the canyon on the "A Section" to the first takeout called Little Hole. You access the dam end by driving down to the dam and parking in the upper lot and taking the staircase down to the water or you access the other end by turning off the hwy at the Trout Creek Flies fly shop/convenience store/gas station and following the paved road down to Little Hole (there is a fee for parking) and then you can access the trail to the right of the parking lot. There also is a trail that leads down river to some camp sites (on the B Section, no camping on the A section), but I think it only goes down a mile or so, not sure on the distance. The distance from the dam to Little Hole is 7 miles so even in the summer months there is a lot of room to spread out, the only issue in the summer months is the tube hatch, lots of folks like to float the river in inner tubes!
Checkout the Trout Creek Flies web site, they have a lot of information on the river, camping, etc.

Larry

Reactions: Ard

chris_n

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will defiently check out the website below. Are both sections of the river wadeable or is one better then the other? Also any ideas on what hatches go off in November?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will defiently check out the website below. Are both sections of the river wadeable or is one better then the other? Also any ideas on what hatches go off in November?
Chris: They divide the Green into the A Section, B Section and C Section. The A Section is the easiest to wade as it has a walking path along the river, then the B Section for about a mile has a trail, other then that it is best to float. You can wade anywhere along the river, the issue is getting there, that is why I said floating is best on the B and C sections. Checkout the hatch chart on the Trout Creek Flies web site, my guess is that it will be primarily midges and BWO's. I have never been down there this late in the year, I usually go in the spring before Memorial Day as the tuber hatch hasn't got started and then in Sept to float the B Section. When you look at the wx forecast take that with tongue in cheek. I've been down there when they forecast 50 degree wx and it turns out to be snow and high of 35.

Larry

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Ran across this thread when Googling "Green River" and it includes some very helpful and specific directions by Larry, but it should perhaps be moved to the "Western U.S." section of "Fly Fishing in the U.S." ?

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Plenty. Check out my report from last week. You can walk the entire 7 miles between the dam and Little Hole. Great fishing all along the way.
Yikes...I just looked at the date and realize I'm about 2 years too tardy.

Last edited: