Indicator Fly for Winter?

brucerducer

Reaction score
What is a good dry Indicator Fly to use for the winter months in Colorado?

I haven't a clue, but I want to tie or buy something.

oldfatman

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I use a lime trude almost exclusively as an indicator fly now until mid spring. Amazing how often it gets hit.

mudbug

Reaction score
I know what I'll be trying

Clown Shoe Caddis.

I just found out about them and have been tying some up. (not my pic)

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
Even something as simple as a Griffith gnat with some yarn helps. You can pick your fly out in all those midge clusters and drop a zebra midge off the back. A killer combo on the Missouri.

I stole the below image as well, I don't have the time to churn out g gnats with yarn when I need lots of them fast for three people.

I do like mudbugs fly though, may have to give it a try...

tbblom

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, Jay is a local shop guru and carp master around here.
He's got tons of great stuff on his blog.
I tie the clown shoe with various rib colors, and with an egg orange post instead of pink. Amber or orange colored butt works great along with grizzly hackle instead of gray. It is a great late season 'dropper suspender'.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
With the exception of the Griffith's Gnat the other flies suggested would most likely not represent anything hatching during winter months, although they would be an excellent choice for floatation and as an easily spotted indicator to suspend either another dry dropper or a nymph setup.

The Griffith's Gnat is one I use when trailing a smaller dry or emerger pattern and works very well.

When looking at an indicator fly I usually choose something that represents whatever insects may be hatching at the time. In the summer months I love a Hopper/dropper combo, early and late season I prefer a Parachute Adams as an indicator fly (which also works well in the winter when BWO's are popping off.

But, my all-time favorite winter indicator fly has to be Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger. I use it year 'round in my favorite spring creek as an indicator fly to suspend a double nymph rig or a dry dropper.

My favorite place to fish in the winter is Idaho's Big Lost River and a Parasol Emerger trailed by either a midge emerger in the film or a suspended midge pupa just under the film does the trick on most days.

The flies are easy to tie and you can tie them in a variety of patterns depending on what insects are hatching at the time.

Here are a few samples of ties I use as a dry indicator:

Pheasant-tail

Soft Hackle

Generic Midge:

And here are some of the flies I trail behind or under the indicator:

Smoke Jumper midge:

KG's EPF Midge:

Deep Purple Peril Midge:

Zebra midge:

Improved Shop Vac:

And, it must work because here is what we catch:

You may have seen this one on the cover of your latest issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal :icon_wink

I guess the key is experimenting with a variety of options and find what works best for you. This method has proven very effective for a lot of years and we use it consistently.

Good luck in your search and best of luck in your success.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I'd love to find a dry fly that is super buoyant to hold double nymph rigs for steelhead.

Part of the problem I have with indicator flies is that I need my set up to get to the bottom fast which typically means heavy flies with tungsten heads and additional shot. Considering this rig puts a bigger thingamobobber at its threshold, I can't imagine a fly being buoyant enough to handle it.

When I am fishing clear and shallower water though and maybe just have a light nymph or egg pattern, A good natural looking fly would be great!

brucerducer

Reaction score
Hey All, thanks.

That more than fits the bill.

I am going to start tying those.

Got down to the local shop this morning, and got the supplies for the "Clown
Shoes Caddis".

Looks like lots of fun to tie.

Meanwhile, it is a beautiful day, and I hope to use some store-bought
"terrestrials" as indicators.

Y'all are great!

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'd love to find a dry fly that is super buoyant to hold double nymph rigs for steelhead.

Part of the problem I have with indicator flies is that I need my set up to get to the bottom fast which typically means heavy flies with tungsten heads and additional shot. Considering this rig puts a bigger thingamobobber at its threshold, I can't imagine a fly being buoyant enough to handle it.

When I am fishing clear and shallower water though and maybe just have a light nymph or egg pattern, A good natural looking fly would be great!
Why do you want to use a dry fly at all? If you are fishing double bead tungsten nymphs there isn't an indicator dry fly that will help you at all. Why not just an indicator?

Droppers fished under dries is a technique generally used when fish are eating big flies from the surface. In the winter time fishing hoppers, stimulators, huge foam ants, etc. i.e. flies that will support the weight of heavy nymphs just seems like more hassle than it's worth.

First, you are adding a fly that will most likely not be "fishing." Second, you are adding two knots to the equation, one for the top fly then the dropper ties to the bend. This greatly weakens your nymph rig by 200% as opposed to zero knots to your fly and a looped on indicator. Plus, considering tying unnecessary knots with cold wet hands why not eliminate this all together.

Winter nymphing is about using a nice short strong leader to your heavy anchor fly and then one connection to your trailing nymph. Keep it easy!

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
When it comes to winter, you are 100% correct. The caveat of that though is that I do not strictly fish in the winter for these steelhead. Many of the tributaries hold year round populations of steelies and they do take the occasional surface bug

brucerducer

Reaction score
Hey Dean, thanks. You make an excellent point.

You one smart fella, and I will benefit from your point.

I just had to start somewhere, sometime on doing something Tandem, and that is what appeared to my mind. Also, I wouldn't know a nymph "take"
from Chumming for Sharks, so all I know right now is that I want a big visible Indicator. I don't need to think in terms of "fishing" it.

When I returned from the fly shop today, my dim little Pea Brain has a flashing though that I could still just use one of those round plastic ball indicators.

Still though, I have the winter to start tying the "Clown Shoes Caddis" and that is something I very much look forward too. In fact, I am doing so many things, and doing them all at once, that sometimes I don't know whether I am goin' er comin':wow:

dean_mt

Reaction score
When it comes to winter, you are 100% correct. The caveat of that though is that I do not strictly fish in the winter for these steelhead. Many of the tributaries hold year round populations of steelies and they do take the occasional surface bug
Alrighty then! Lucky you, fishing summer runs that will look to the surface. But still, I've never had much luck with any dry, no matter how big, to float heavy nymphs. Lots of foam and hair!

Where are you fishing the summer steelies? I grew up in Michigan and remember the summer runs on the Little Mani, but if the fish are year round residents, then they are no longer Steelhead, right? A steelhead is defined as being anadromous no? Sorry to sidetrack...

Joni

Reaction score
My favorite is a Quigley's Cripple. Purple is deadly. I also like kglissmeyers Parachute and James Ferrin's Parachute.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Bruce, I don't know about smart, but I've learned from my experiences and have come to loathe the dry / dropper technique when using a weighted nymph. I use it for dropping small nymphs, wets, flymphs, emergers...I'll use a two fly rig for trailing a very small dry as well, keeping my eye on the lead fly. But I've come to the realization that when I'm fishing the trendy "Hopper/dropper" type of big foam fly with a beadhead worm that I'm not actually fishing either fly, rather half fishing each of them. And that's just not how I like to fish anymore.

If you are new to nymph fishing, which it sounds like maybe you are, you might want to do some reading about "Czech Nymphing" or Euro nymphing which it is referred to...or if you don't like the fab of it all...High Sticking, as it was dubbed many years ago my western anglers like Charlie Brooks. It has now caught on and become very popular due to tournament fishing and the success rate the technique achieves. Anyway, it forgoes the indicator and is much more enjoyable, read active, way to fish nymphs. There is plenty of info out there. If you are not an entrenched indicator nympher (like many of us) it will be a lot easier for you to learn, because you won't have the chuck and duck and watch the fuzzy "bobber" stuff to unlearn!

I like that caddis pattern too, I am adding it to my winter list.

Joni

Reaction score
dean_mt, you need to pick up a copy of American Angler Nov./Dec 2012 issue. It goes into detail on the Indicator thing. Very interesting.
I say if you are going to use bead headed nymphs, slap on the Thingamabobber and rig your leader up for the Provo River Bounce. Nothing wrong with an indy and it isn't cheating in my eyes :)
Man, I can't believe the Carp I have been catching by using an indicator and suspending those flies so they are three feet deep.

dean_mt

Reaction score
dean_mt, you need to pick up a copy of American Angler Nov./Dec 2012 issue. It goes into detail on the Indicator thing. Very interesting.
I say if you are going to use bead headed nymphs, slap on the Thingamabobber and rig your leader up for the Provo River Bounce. Nothing wrong with an indy and it isn't cheating in my eyes :)
Man, I can't believe the Carp I have been catching by using an indicator and suspending those flies so they are three feet deep.
That's on the newstand now I assume? I need some leisure reading tonight. Thanks, I'll let you know what I think.

BTW: I wasn't inferring that indicator fishing is anything more or less than it is. I do it too! And I'm not judging, but I started practicing high sticking/tight line nymphing last summer and really enjoyed it. Like I said to Bruce, it is just a more engaging way to fish, for me.

horseman_37601

Reaction score
i use a indicator a lot, one thing about a indicator, they are all different. i have used several, the best for me is the round foam, attacted witha rubber band. floats high, stays where you put it. more than i can say for some brands, including the thinga......