Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

Is this just "Six of one, Half a Dozen of Another"?

In other words, one's about the same as the other?

Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

Default Re: Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

pick one or the other.. or tie with both.. it really makes no difference imho

Blog Entries

Elk hair as a whole tends to be thicker and benefits from better buoyancy as a result, but the particular patch of hair you're working with could be different (based on when the hair was harvested, and from where, etc.).
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

4. Likes mcnerney, littledavid123, jaybo41, Pocono liked this post

I tie them both. Not sure I've noticed a difference though my deer hair isn't as light in color as my elk hair. I do tie small caddis (18's mainly) using comparadun deer hair. Had good success with them this past season when trout were rising to small caddis below Spinney dam.
    - William

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    Elk hair as a whole tends to be thicker and benefits from better buoyancy as a result, but the particular patch of hair you're working with could be different (based on when the hair was harvested, and from where, etc.).
    Spot on.

I tie with and fish both. Elk is great for faster water, it rides up higher and the lighter color is generally a little easier to see. Deer hair sits a little lower and sometimes picky fish prefer that. I tie some CDC & Deer Hair with a darker deer hair & black CDC to mimic grannoms.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I tend to use deer hair and lots of it. I find it to float and accept floatant much better. Again depends on the type used. Coastal deer has been my fave so far.

If your going for tying looks I think elk sits better on the hook and its easy'r to tie with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can't believe no one mentioned this.
    Elk hair is hollow like a straw, hence its naturally buoyant properties (hollow hair means better insulation).
    I don't think deer hair is hollow. I usually have to put more gink on the deer hair versions to keep them afloat.

Instagram page @tblom77

Quote Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
    Can't believe no one mentioned this.
    Elk hair is hollow like a straw, hence its naturally buoyant properties (hollow hair means better insulation).
    I don't think deer hair is hollow. I usually have to put more gink on the deer hair versions to keep them afloat.

I'm pretty sure deer hair is hollow.

11. Likes madjoni, long bow liked this post

Ok, I have played around with and tied with both for almost 20 years and have done a ton of homework on it.

First, both body hair are hollow. Elk hair by far is bigger, thus holds more air. But when you tie smaller stuff, say a 18 EH Caddis, the elk hair is going to look sparse because elk hair is so thick. Deer hair is much thinner but also less boyant.

Second, the belly hair is far more boyant then back hair, but most companies do not tell you which one is which. Having a good hunting friend is a good thing.

Third, when you are on the bigger flies, 12 to 6 stimmies, Elk hair is far superior for floating and does stay afloat longer.

Forth, my opinion here, Elk hair is normally longer then deer hair, which also helps with big flies.

Fifth, deer hair is far easier to find dyed or colored.

Conclusion, my opinion is use both as most have said but understand that both are different. Elk works well for big flies and 10 strands of elk will float longer then 10 strands of deer. But 10 strands of elk looks sparse on a 18 caddis, where you could have used 20 stands of deer. Plus, experiment with different parts of the body....and a curve ball here, antilope for you Montana guys. Antilope floats awesome and is thin!!!!! Deer hair is also easier to find in different colors.

13. Likes mcnerney, jaybo41 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    I'm pretty sure deer hair is hollow.
    Second this and just to add hair of all kinds of deer all over the globe have hollow hair

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    Second, the belly hair is far more boyant then back hair, but most companies do not tell you which one is which. Having a good hunting friend is a good thing.
    I may sound like whining like little girl but must say imagine how it is for us in Europe and what confusion is about elk and deer hair.No one here for sure can tell which is which .Once I ordered elk hair and got it .It was written on bag that is elk hair but moose hair was in

15. Likes jmac321, dean_mt liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast