Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

Question Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

Has anyone fished these rivers in the park(YNP) lately? I'll be hitting these also in the next few weeks and wondered about water quality and levels?
    Thanks,
    Racine

2. Default I was there last week

I was there last week, and the rivers looked good. I saw a number of fly fishermen wading the rivers, but they were not crowded.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to fish any of them on the family vacation, but we did a float trip on the Snake near Jackson. The fishing was very poor - lots of fast water with some moderate stain. I caught ~7 cut throat, but none of them were over 7 inches. My wife caught a couple of white fish, and I caught one - they were all about 12-14 inches.

However, my wife did hook a beautiful brown trout (should not have been in the area). It jumped, and it was at least 3 lbs. During the fight, she lost it. It turns out her new fly hook broke in the middle of the shank - just a defective hook. Talk about your bad luck.

3. Default Re: Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

The Firehole and Madison inside the Park are too warm to fish right now. The Firehole is peaking most days near 80 degrees, and 2/3 of the Madison's water comes from the Firehole. Outside the park it's cooled off by Hebgen Lake and will fish fine, as will the Gallatin.

Default Re: Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

Estrother,
    I had a similar experience fishing the Snake 3 years ago. It was incredibly picturesque but somewhat disappointing in results. I had much better luck on the Madison. I wonder if this water is overfished?
    Also fishing reports that I'm reading seem to conflict with some saying the Firehole is fishing fine?

5. Default Re: Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06036905 Firehole River near West Yellowstone MT

Current temp: 27.5 Celsius, aka 82F.

Fishing reports that say it's fishable are either outdated or lying. The only part that is fishable are the extreme headwaters above the Old Faithful closure, which is small brook trout water.