Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado in early April

Default Re: Colorado in early April

Thank you so much for the info everyone - tight lines

I have been to Colorado twice during early April and both times the Arkansas river was a good area to fish from Salida upstream. The first year I was there there was a lot of run off coming from a creek just downstream of Salida and it was dirty water from there down. The second time we focused our efforts on the Arkansas between Buena Vista and Salida quite a bit of public access in that area and some great brown trout. Another area closer to the springs is Eleven Mile Canyon which is located on the S. Platte river upstream. From the town of Lake George about 45 minutes west of Colorado Springs on highway 24. It is a tailwater section from Eleven Mile Res. And doesn't seem to be affected too much by runoff and it offers some decent fishing. There is also some northern pike in its upper section, the lower portion of the canyon is catch and keep/release area and the upper portion of the canyon is Gold Metal waters and is strictly catch and release.

Drakewoodie - thank you so much for the info - really looking forward to it - tight lines

Also there is the Arkansas tail water below Pueblo Res. It shoud still be fishing real good in april, and its only 45 minutes from Colorado springs. Plus They are also doing more stream improvements in the quality water sections that should be finished by April. Then there is also the S. Platte/ Deckers and cheesman canyon They both should be fishing good in April and both ar a short trip from Denver or Colorado Springs.

For me April is the best month to fish in Colorado. As everyone says, the Arkansas is usually very good that time of year, and I always try to make a trip to Salida. Over here on the western slope, the Roaring Fork and the Gunnison are excellent that time of year. Run off can always raise it's head that time of year.
    Keep Looking Up
    Doug

Thanks very much everyone - tight lines

How is the Cache La Pourde river in April? Any feedback is welcome.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959

8. Default Re: Colorado in early April

"Ice Off" for Spinney Mountain Reservoir should occur about 15 April.
    Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

9. Default Re: Colorado in early April

the poudre should be decent in april, specially in lower elevations where the water is warmer. BWO's, midges,leftover march browns should be good. Stoneflies will be on the move and moulting. Give it a whirl!

live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!

I have had fantastic fishing and weather in the Durango area in early April, I have also had the nastiest weather imaginable with just OK fishing. Spring can be hit or mis in Colorado, but it sure beats a day in the cubical. I wish I could be there now, weather has been in the 60's! I'm aiming for a return in May this year, hope to dodge high water. With the reports and weather I have heard the past couple days, just might have to make a trip sooner or later. Maybe I can talk the boss into joining me next week. Dare to day-dream. I have also heard good things happening on the Blue River with strong midge activity.
    ditch, creek, stream or river...let me cast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast