Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Default Re: What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by long bow View Post
    WHOOPS! So for some reason I'm seeing a picture of a "S" brown trout and you guys are seeing nothing--my apologies. Especially to Plecain for my sarcastic response. Bottom line question is what would exist besides whirling disease, if any? No signs of above bird attack on the fish. I"m hitting the Lewis Spoon this weekend, so in regards to whitefish, I wish I had a smoker.
    Can't see your pic, but from what I can find, brown trout are not succeptible to WD.

Quote Originally Posted by nickj View Post
    Can't see your pic, but from what I can find, brown trout are not succeptible to WD.
    That's what I thought too. I know that some of the 'bows here get some sort of issue coming out of the hatchery but didn't know if that got "passed" to the browns?

Im not to sure if I'm correct with this info but I think the original stock of browns are immune to whirling disease and they have passed that down all generations. Here is an interesting article on whirling disease. http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/b...ails.asp?ID=98

As for the fish its a brown but like people it was just born differantly with a dissability. It was just lucky to survive natural selection for this long.
    Troy

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

Quote Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
    Im not to sure if I'm correct with this info but I think the original stock of browns are immune to whirling disease and they have passed that down all generations.
    Seems to be in contradiction with MT FWP saying that some have. "Nonetheless, the disease is slowly moving down the Missouri, though at a low infection rate. The disease has turned up in both brown and rainbow trout."

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Missouri River Whirling Disease Update

Either way, having that guy drop into my lap was quite the surprise. Troutwhisperer you been on the Mo' lately?

Whirling.. seems like most trout are susceptible in various degrees

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonid_susceptibility_to_whirling_disease"]Salmonid susceptibility to whirling disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Dave

I've caught some fish with deformed heads, but never a bigger trout with an S body.

Might just have been injured at some point.

8. Likes brucerducer liked this post
    Blog Entries

Brown trout are usually not susceptible to whirling disease. I've caught a few that look like that, both bows and browns. Perhaps something when they were smaller, or a bird attack. Could be a variety of things. Whirling would be far down my list for this one...

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

I've caught "deformed" browns from that same stretch over the years too. Not many, and not that "S" deformed, but with definite "breaks" or "curves" in their anatomy. I always guess older, previous injury, but I'm not a biologist.

I've caught a truck trout like that, although I don"t know what whirling disease looks like I think like others have said it was injured early in life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast