Gallatin, east gallatin, and Missouri headwaters report

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
All the ice was off of the lower gallatin today, no real slush to deal with. Very fishable. However i did get skunked. I fished it at the missouri headwaters state park. I also drove around and checked out the madison, jefferson, and the Mo, at headwaters, and there is nothing worth your time.
I also checked out the Madison at Cobblestone, and it was almost fishable there. The lower madison should be fishable upstream of greycliff and certainly should be fishable all along Norris Road.
I fished Darlington ditch at the cobblestone, it is a ditch that parrallels the lower madison river that FWP turned into a spring creek. It has flowable water year round. And today it had a midge hatch coming off, so i could even toss some drys. However, i did not catch any on drys, i did however take a few 14-16" browns on red copper john beadhead. Its the second time i fished it. FWP leaves it open year round, however it is also catch and release year round. It also is fairly small water. It cant of been more than 40-80 CFS. Its not an epic fishery, however it is a nice place to go kill an afternoon in the winter.
However i only fished it for a little bit, because I then moved on to the east gallatin
Its pretty much no secret to anyone near bozeman though that the east gallatin is a great winter fishery. Quite a few access points have people on it every weekend in the winter that it is even close to 32. And i have found very few differences between access points, I just jumped on the first one i saw without a person on it and the fishing was great. I fished it about a montha and a half ago and ran into an iceshelf about 1/4 mile into the access point, this week i did not.
However, with the cold snap coming up, it might close down the lower gallitan and the madison outside of the tailwaters next weekend.
East Gallatin should still have a handfull of ice free access points no matter how cold it gets though.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
MTskibum,
Did I read somewhere that you fish Poindexters Slough?
If it was, could you give a little more info on it? I have seen it a few times but have never fished it. Thanks.:)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
As soon as we get a warm spell, you should go check it out, I will be waiting for a report. :smile:
How far to Dillon from You? 2 hours?
Wait I forgot the lightening speed that you can travel on the interstate in Montana, so now I will guess 18 minutes.

MTskibum

Reaction score
Dillon is around 70 miles, so just under an hour. 75 interstate, 70 highway, but i usually go 5-6 over. But when i do finally make it down to poindexter, i want to make it a complete day, and probably fish half the day on somewhere else down there. Since i am going to do it before fishing season opens, and probably here shortly, that limits me to tailwaters of the ruby res.

As far as this last weekend I fished the lower Gallatin both days at the public access at the junction at the east and west gallatin, and was skunked both days, the 2nd day there was 3 other people, and they didnt catch anything, as of when i talked to them, and they were gone when i got back near the enterence of the access. I talked to another fisher on a different message board, and he was skunked as well on the gallatin on sunday as well, i dont know where though.

It really depends if i can get someone to split gas with me. I cant really justify a trip down there.

If the roads are good my parents are coming to town this weekend. My dad, mom, and myself are going up friday night 5-9 or so to ice fish Hylite resevior for artic grayling. And then my dad and i will probably either fish beartrap on the madison saturday, darlington ditch, east gallatin, or maybe ice fish on dailey resevior(for walleyes and large stocked bows), depending on temps. My parents have a nice icehouse on a trailer. So if it gets cold thats the best option.

MTskibum

Reaction score
I really wish we could edit posts at least up until an hour later, really 1 day shouldnt be to much to ask.

Skunking me both days this weekend means that for pretty much locks up my next sunday, fishing the gallatin, if i do all that other stuff this weekend, that rivers skunked me the last 3 times. And i usually do pretty decent on the gallatin, although it can be a troublesome thing in the winter some times.

MTskibum

Reaction score
Went ice fishing on dailey lake, from 3pm-8pm with my parents. Decided to go for walleye and big bows instead of grayling at hylight. We were all skunked.

Thats 3 days in a row going back to last weekend that i havent caught a fish. I need to get this smell off of me :(

Tomorow that changes, my dad and i are going out flyfishing at my catching spot.
Then sunday before the big game hopefully i will make it down to the gallatin again.

Hopefully my next fishing report is a positive one.

troutbum73

Reaction score
Im thinking going Ruby river this weekend (2/16/08). Has anyone been there? Any suggestion?