Bitterroot River, first fish of the year...

dean_mt

Reaction score
...and hallelujah and amen to that! Wow, it's been a long dark winter. At least the last 6 weeks have been.

Spring fishing in W Montana is gearing up. Stoneflies are moving and midges swarming. I got out for a couple hours on Saturday afternoon, it felt good but it was really just to get out. Today I took the day off, happy birthday to me! I'd been planning on fishing all day for my birthday and the weather cooperated, it was overcast and didn't storm on me, got up to mid 40s so it could have been a lot worse.

I caught my first trout of the season, a nice rainbow. Then a couple more nymphing. Then moved downstream to get closer to my car as a bank of dark clouds was rolling in with thunderstorms in the forecast. I didn't want to get stuck out there in a storm, it's really open as you will see.

Well it never stormed and I walked into a some pods of fish rolling on midges! I tied on a #20 Syl's midge I tied this winter after reading his book and began to barely swing it through the broad riffle. It worked! That was very nice, but hard to set that little hook. I broke two off, missed a handful of sets and landed three brownies.

It was a splendid birthday.

The Bitterroot, near Victor, Montana.

happy birthday!

yonder

Reaction score
Nice......that's the way to spend a birthday.......I believe the Bitterroot is in my future this year.........say about mid september......thanks for sharing......:)

littledavid123

Reaction score
Looks like you had a great day John, congratulations. Victor is full of eye candy if you like log homes.

Dave

dhayden

Reaction score
We've been having some warmer weather too - went out and floated the Madison on Saturday... terrible wind, but lots of fish

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys, and thanks for looking.

Those log jams and the sheer breadth of the river bottom there is amazing. The floods a couple years ago brought a tremendous amount of debris and large trees down the river. In a couple months one will not be able to even get to the places I stood to take some of those pictures...well actually any of those spots. Run-off season always amazes me...but till then you gotta get your fishin in!

I think I'm going back next weekend for a float, should be skwala fishing by then.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Nice......that's the way to spend a birthday.......I believe the Bitterroot is in my future this year.........say about mid september......thanks for sharing
Should be a good time to be there. The river will be low like it is now, easy wading...tough fishing, very rewarding.

Looks like you had a great day John, congratulations. Victor is full of eye candy if you like log homes.
You got that right, Dave! Not like it was 10 years ago though.

We've been having some warmer weather too - went out and floated the Madison on Saturday... terrible wind, but lots of fish
I had considered driving up to Craig but was afraid of being literally blown out! Plus I was little hungover and couldn't leave early enough.

B

blackbugger

Happy belated birthday!

I love this time of year, everything is opening up and the fish are hungry.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Happy belated birthday!

I love this time of year, everything is opening up and the fish are hungry.
Thanks bugger and gitty up! (Is it Beaverhead season yet?)

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Love the Bitterroot in the Hamilton area and up stream. 3wt 2hander and a 3wt single. Pure Joy to fish.
You've got that right Fred! I haven't fished the upper river in few years, but it sure it great water.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Looks like this is going to be a low water year on the Bitterroot per the Ravalli Republic newspaper (yesterdays addition). Lower than normal snow pack this winter. Odd off but I fell in 'love' with that little local newspaper and read the on line addition every day.

The fun thing is you'll not just the local news but really interesting stuff you'd never find in a big city rag. Not unusual to find a story that the writer didn't just pull a news feed off the printer, but really did some back ground checking and drops in a "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

fae