Start of Spring in Colorado

tbblom

Reaction score
The ice-off season has been teasing Colorado Anglers for about a month now. Lakes would start to melt out, only to get recovered by ice a few weeks later. With the beginning of March, Front Range rivers and lakes are finally starting to thaw out.

Yesterday, Boulder Creek hit 42 degrees during the warmest part of the afternoon, and I had my first super productive day of fishing during our spring window. I've learned the last few years to keep an eye on the water during this time. After the ice melts out, and before it really gets warm (before run off), there are a few weeks where the trout come out of their deep winter hiding spots and start to distribute themselves better throughout the creek. During this time they are ravenous, and will eat a wider range of flies and presentations as they wait for the real hatches to get going. I lost count yesterday, especially as the storm drains started to flow and visibility started to decrease. A #18 blue poison took at least a dozen fish from the same hole in about an hour. The rest were taken on #20 blood midge, #24 snow midge, #20 Pheasant tail, and even got a solid strike on a cream colored bunny bugger. Hanging nymphs under a small caddis dry got the most strikes; indicators and larger terrestrials used for floatation spooked too many fish. The #16 caddis took no hits this early, but allowed me multiple casts into the same pod without spooking the fish away while serving as a good strike indicator for the ultra soft eats.

A few pics from the last few weeks, top two were yesterdays best looking fish.
A decent medium sized Brown from BC:

A similarly sized bow:

Cut-Bow or just a pretty pre-spawn bow? Taken last week on a streamer:

Nice Splake from mid February ice off conditions (cream bunny bugger in mouth!):

williamhj

Reaction score
Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. With the great weather yesterday it was killing me every time I walked between buildings at work. I'm hoping to get out for a bit on Friday when we're in the 70's! For now, just look at the new snow we got last night.

spiderninja

Reaction score
Awesome. Great update. Just heard ice was starting to come off up the poudre canyon, so I was planning on making it up today. Of course, then 4 inches snow/ice drop last night and now we are on accident alert up here.

I think I might make it up tomorrow instead. Can't wait to get up the canyon; the orvis hatch has gotten thick in town.

tbblom

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

We drove along clear creek on sunday. Lots of open water sections all the way up past Idaho Springs. Hopefully this will help to clear out and redistribute the Orvis hatch at the local tailwaters.
Unfortunately, South Boulder Creek is back down to 7cfs, as Denver water is no longer putting water into Ralston Res. from Gross Res. Should get a bit tougher up there, but the last few weeks of 100+ cfs was nice while it lasted.

Being underemployed is good for going fishing... Going out again today, maybe after the snow stops and it warms up.
I got my first guiding job this year. Looking forward to a busy season and putting some people on some decent fish!

roofish

Reaction score
Beautiful fish, I sure wish I would have taken up fly fishing yes ago. Being from Maine & living in Colorado & I didn't take up fly fishing???????
So now I try to do the best I can here in Texas, I could kick myself :(

brucerducer

Reaction score
temperatures for Denver Colorado area this week are as follows;

starting at Wednesday 13 March 2013

39° F
Hi: 62° | Lo: 42°

Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. High 62F. Winds light and variable.

Thu

Hi: 66°

Lo: 46°

Fri

Hi: 71°

Lo: 41°

Sat

Hi: 59°

Lo: 38°

Sun

Hi: 61°

Lo: 37°

Mon

Hi: 55°

Lo: 34°

Tue

Hi: 65°

Lo: 40°

It looks like Spring has just about sprung

cgrphoto

Reaction score
Re: Start of Spring in Colorado - Clear Creek

Spent a few hours this afternoon on Clear Creek just a few miles west of Golden. Ice is melting very rapidly and in the sunny spots its completely gone. Actually got into a few fish (brown and a rainbow) on #18 pheasant tail - kind of surprised me, actually, as they didn't care for the midges at all. I guess its time!

If you go, be careful on the ice shelves, they are definitely thinning down. Break away enough ice to put a knee down and step into the river.

Should be real good in a few weeks before the Big Melt!

tbblom

Reaction score
I did some recon on the Big T the last two days. Most of the river is ice free except for some of the shadier sections. Caught some nice rainbows and a decent brown at the Big T tailwater on #20-24 midges.

Lakes are pretty much iced off, might go hit a few reservoirs today from shore. Being underemployed has its perks!

Reaction score
live in the south, but have a second home in Duran
I too have had some good luck on the Poudre this week. Made it up the canyon earlier and ice is starting to come off quickly. Planning on spending the weekend up there, but this could put a damper on my plans.

Firefighters battle Soldier Canyon Fire west of Fort Collins | The Coloradoan | coloradoan.com
Oh, fantastic. Fire season has already started? Is it that dry up there? It is March for goodness sake. My friends in Colorado always talk about mud season and big snows in the spring. Wow, crazy. Hope you can still get a bit of fishing in.

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Spring has arrived in the Vail Valley. With temps. reaching into the 60's this week a lot of the Eagle River has started to open up. I was out the other day from about 4 to 6 pm on a favorite hole and figured as the bows start to get into their spawn groove id try to "peg some beads". I was able to bring in 2 18+" on the egg and another few on a #22 blk zebra midge and a #24 grey fw rs2. Tight Lines!

spiderninja

Reaction score
Oh, fantastic. Fire season has already started? Is it that dry up there? It is March for goodness sake. My friends in Colorado always talk about mud season and big snows in the spring. Wow, crazy. Hope you can still get a bit of fishing in.
Yeah, its pretty dry up in northern CO at least. Doesn't look good for the summer; but fishing was fantastic last weekend and they have the fire at 75% containment. Just going to have to fish as much as I can.