Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Book recommendation for Colorado & New Mexico

Please recommend books on fly fishing Colorado and New Mexico; a plus would be access points. Since my son moved to Denver, I can see lots of visits and fishing.

Default Re: Book recommendation for Colorado & New Mexico

Flyfisher's Guide to Colorado by Marty Bartholemew is a good place to start.

There is a "Flyfisher's Guide to New Mexico" as well. Taylor Streit's "Guide to Fly Fishing in New Mexico" is short and sweet. "Fly Fishing in Northern NM", edited by Craig Martin, is older but still good. There's also "Fly Fishing Southern Colorado", by Martin, Knopick and Flick.

Bob

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

When you say "access points", what are you looking for?

Bob

4. Default Re: Book recommendation for Colorado & New Mexico

Thanks guys for the info.

I'm seeking public fishing access points, don't want to venture into private property. Tips on good places to catch "stupid" fish would be great too; as I'm a relative newby at fly fishing.

Colorado's Best Fly Fishing by Landon Mayer is my new favorite, doesn't really cover detailed access points as much as some, but does a pretty good job I'd say. What area(s) of CO are you going to fish first?
    Last edited by thewalker1013; 03-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!

Quote Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
    Colorado's Best Fly Fishing by Landon Mayer is my new favorite, doesn't really cover detailed access points as much as some, but does a pretty good job I'd say. What area(s) of CO are you going to fish first?
    A nod for Colorado's Best Fly Fishing. It has only been out a couple years and is pretty good.
    ditch, creek, stream or river...let me cast

Default Book recommendation for Colorado & New Mexico

This is a fantastic book...best one out there if you plan on hanging out in RMNP

http://www.flyfishingrmnp.com/book.html

Quote Originally Posted by troutcomegetit View Post
    A nod for Colorado's Best Fly Fishing. It has only been out a couple years and is pretty good.
    +1. It's got hatch charts and maps of pullout points for many of the major rivers in CO. Definitely a good book when you aren't sure what(or what size) you should be throwing.

This book is from wilderness adventures press inc, belgrade montana. It doesn't tell you how to fish. It's all maps with detailed notes on each with all the info you need on what fish are there, regs, put in, take outs, public and private lands, access points, mileage , etc. It also shows where giant stoneflies come out of the water onto land looking for unsuspecting anglers, lol. Very useful for rafting, too.

steve

10. Default Re: Book recommendation for Colorado & New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
    I'll be making sort of a whirlwind tour this summer: Cimarron SP near Taos, Conejos River near Mogote, Silverton-Ridgeway, RMNP-Camp Dick. I'll be out there the first 3 weeks of July.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast