July trip to New Mexico & Colorado

edwardo

Reaction score
My wife and I will make a camping trip to northern New Mexico and Colorado this July (early to mid month) and I plan to fly fish as much as possible; hint, most of the campgrounds I have chosen are on some nice rivers ;). We'll be at Cimarron Canyon State Park near Taos for 4 days; Conejos River at Mogote, CO for 2 days; Molas Lake, CO for 3 days; Ridgeway State Park in CO for 3 days; RMNP for 3 days; and Camp Dick on the Middle St Vrain for 3 days. So, the options for fishing is the Cimarron, Red, Rio Grande, Rio Hondo, Rio Costillo while at Cimarron; Conejos River while at Mogote; Animas while at Molas Lake; Uncompahgre and Cimarron rivers while at Ridgeway; and too numerous to list while at RMNP and Camp Dick.

I'm willing to do 2-3 days with a guide in various places. My question is: On what rivers near these places would I get the most bang for the buck in hiring a guide? I've only been fly fishing for 2 years so am still new to the addiction. What rivers are fairly easy fishing for newbies where I could do well on my own? One place I plan to hire a guide is while at RMNP since my son will meet us there and he will need more help than me.

Also (tongue-in-cheek) who would volunteer to meet me and give me some tips while there? :icon_lol:

cimarron

Reaction score
Hi, Edwardo - I can help with fishing/camping near Cimarron. I Fish it every year in Sept. The Cimarron is very easy to get to as it runs along highway 64. I usually stay in the town of Cimarron and drive up to the Pallisades area and others. There is a small fee for parking in the turn-offs. Bring a short fly rod as the Cimarron is very brushy in most places. Go to U-Tube and type "fishing the Cimarron" to see some views. When driving up to the strean from Cimarron(town) you may want to stop in Ute park at Pine Ridge sta for licence and flies. Also, you can contact Doc Thompson for a guide. He can get you into private waters if so desired. Note that the Cimarron will be crowded in July but you can drive up and down the highway looking for solitude. You can camp at Gravel Pit lake, its just down the road from Palisades. Now if its solitude you want, drive up through Red River and Questa to Costilla and fish Rio Costilla for sure! Not hard to find, only one road in. Google Rio Costilla for more detailed directions. Also U-Tube has a few videos on the Valle Vidal area(Rio Costilla). You'll love this area, camp at Cimarron campground, 1/2 mile hike to Shuree ponds for some really nice trout. I'll be there in Sept so leave me a few fish! Good luck, Glen

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That's quite a trip. I wish I was doing that. The only place I would reconsider is Ridgway State Park. The campsites are on windy hillsides with no shade. The half mile tail water coming out of the dam is not a destination fishery. The beginning and end are okay but the rest is along the walkway of non fisher's. The fly shop in ridgway is great. They have guide trips that take you to whichever stream is on fire within a 45 minute drive. The koa is a better place to camp 6 miles away toward ouray.

dwtalso

Reaction score
For the RMNP stop in at any or all of Kirk's Fly Shop, Estes Anglers, or Scot's Sporting Goods for reports or guides. My only experience with guides (many years ago) are through Scot's and I can highly recommend them and the folks in the shop are nice and friendly. I stop in and see them every year. I've shopped at Kirk's and Estes Anglers and they are nice too so I don't think you can go wrong. Scot's is a small shop with a mix low end gear, the other two are "boutique" fly shops with the higher end stuff and more selection.

Be prepared to be flexible up there this year. The Fern Lake Fire was finally put out in January and it burned a huge chunk of Big Thompson Valley and Moraine Park which may (probably will) adversely impact fishing on the Big Thompson drainage. I'm not sure what other drainages were affected so best to check it all out and plan accordingly :).

son_of_simon

Reaction score
The Camp Dick area is one of my favorites to go camping in. We normally backpack in a mile or two and find some good sites to camp. Fishing is mostly small stream pocket water for small fish. They're usually willing to rise to a big dry, but can be surprisingly selective for a small stream. It's a lot of fun if you're not in search of big fish. I'd recommend taking a day to hike the areas instead of fishing. If you're traveling that far just to fish, I'd say there are better places to go, but if fishing isn't the main reason for the local, you picked some good spots.

alpobodog

Reaction score
Drive a little farther west and fish the San Juan, best river in NM. Easy to fish, lots of big fish.You could fish it without a guide. I could also recommend several good guides.

edwardo

Reaction score
"If you're traveling that far just to fish, I'd say there are better places to go, but if fishing isn't the main reason for the local, you picked some good spots."

This is definitely an all-around trip, not just fishing. If could get my wife interested in fly fishing, maybe I could get more time on the water. But until that time comes, I'll have to compromise and do other things also. Planning to do some hiking and back-road driving also.

rabbitriver

Reaction score
Conejos River. Good and affordable (as guides go) guides. Jon Harp at Conejos River Anglers is the real deal. Google search them and check out the fishing reports. Just don't tell anyone else.
Planning to be up there most of July and can always use an excuse to fish.
Good luck with the trip.

jborn

Reaction score
An excellent guide for Northern NM is Doc Thompson.

Doc Thompson
(575)376-9220
www.flyfishnewmexico.com

A great area is the rio costilla. Not on the way to anywhere but truly beautiful with lost of fish in the small stream.

jlb

Reaction score
live in the south, but have a second home in Duran
Hi, Edwardo I can lend a hand on the southern part of Colorado as well as my two cents on having the lady along.

I first want to say this trip you have planned is nearly identical to the one I had planned and executed a number of years ago. You both will have a blast and fantastic time! This trip is how I discovered and feel in love with the southern part of the state. We did not travel as far north as you have planned, but plan to do so in the next couple seasons.

I too had a lady in-tow and was worried about the fishing, camping and all the other things that could make the experience simply a one-off. I was hoping she would love it, and I figured if she did then there would be more camping and fishing for me. What I did learn was they either have it or not. I'm lucky, my lady does in fact love the wilds and the little fish we stick with our sharp hooks. So, it is a good thing to mix in sight seeing and hikes (shhhhh, some hikes can lead to fishing). With all of that said, ladies who love it also love to be pampered.

That is a fact. The ladies on this forum should agree. So, my advice is to make sure to take a day off here and there for some down time as well as a nice meal that is indoors (ie nice restaurant). Plus splurge on a B and B or nice hotel for a couple nights. The shower and bed will go a long way after a night of tent ripping winds or bucket loads of rain. Other than that go for it!

Now, on to the fishing. Since you are both relatively new fly fishers and looking to learn as much as possible remember the value of a good guide. A good guide will help keep things fun, educational and smooth sailing. It is very hard, no matter how much patience you have to help teach her the sport, make sure she is tangle-free and into fish, or at least in fishy water. Plus you will find you did very little quality fishing of your own. A cluttered mind is never productive on the trout stream. Focus down days, camping and fishing on streams that are full of gullible brookies and small rainbows. Use guide days to learn new water, figure out tricky waters, be spoiled on private waters or float a river you would never be able to.

As for you locations; skip Ridgeway Sate Park, as stated by jeepster ii it is windy, exposed and far from romantic. Keep heading south and invest more time in the southern part of the state. I would also shift from Molas Lake (on the map it is very close to the Animas, but a massive canyon must be scaled to get in there) Consider camping down Old Lime Creek Road. Sweet stream that is a tributary of the Animas that offers stunning scenery and nice fishing for small trout. Hopper dropper and you'll be into them no problem. Avoid on weekends, because it does see some traffic despite being a rough road. By the way, what vehicle will you be driving? Pretty rough road FYI. (IM me and I'll give you better details and directions in to this spot) There is also a great hike off this road to a small alpine lake called Spud.

The other fisheries you have picked sound good. I have only fished the Conejos a couple times but it was lovely with great public camping. The Rio Grande is a blast, I would recommend treating yourself to a float. Flows will be down by then with solid hoppers and dropper fishing. But you could also wade it on your own, plus there are some fun tributaries I have fished when I'm not float fishing. Animas is a good one but very temperamental. Have a good guide there for sure. Same goes for the San Juan below the dam. At least the first day so you can have an idea how the special two fly nymph rigs should look. There could also be some solid dry fly fishing. I did hit an ant hatch that was very exciting. Thought I had it all figured out then the fish went back to micro nymphs! Pattern and setup are key for those rivers. The other waters in northern New Mexico you mentioned I'm looking to explore down the road myself, so I'm looking forward to hearing how things go for you in those areas.

As for the guide side of things I got very lucky and had the same guide spaced out over a few different fisheries through out our big trip. He assured me I was in good hands, plus my girlfriend (now wife) at the time would have a nice time. He was right, she out-fishes me every time out now! If only I was a better listener. Patience and the ability to teach are paramount for a good guide/client experience. We did in fact get lucky. Honestly, the guide I fish with in that area not only made our first trip such a success, he has made each and every one since a memorable one.

My advice; call Will at Animas Valley Anglers. You'll probably get his father who helps with bookings and ask for Will's number. I'm sure he will pass it along. Will will set up the best possible trip and give you the best advice based on what you both are looking for. He will space the guide days out and pick the best waters for you explore on your own. I have also fished with his other guides when Will was already booked or we had extra anglers like my grown children or friends and found them to be just as patient, friendly and skilled as Will. They all seem to be friends on and off the water. Can not hardly wait to hear the stories from your trip. Please share your experiences here with us all. Sorry for the long winded post. Go get 'em and tight lines! -Reed

N

namelesshero

Latir Lakes which is in the Rio Costilla area is beautiful and fun. The Red River in NM can be good sometimes also. The Rio Grande might be kinda warm in July.

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
I recommend reading Van Beacham's and Taylor Streit's books about fly fishing in that region. They both own shops in Taos and run guiding services. They are good reads for an area that offers great fishing on some uniquely small, technical streams.

Also consider fishing the beautiful, remote Valle Vidal after it opens July 1st.

bigfishcatcher

Reaction score
Swap Ridgeway for Cottonwood Campground on the San Juan. The best fishing in the area!
P.S. Don't forget streamers for the San Juan and Animas.

osok

Reaction score
Wow, I will be taking much same trip at the same time. This will be my third year in a row for this trip.

Cimarron River: Make reservations now if you want in for Tolby campground in Cimarron State Park. Get license, flies, guide, and advice from Dos Amigos Anglers fly shop in Eagle Nest, N.M. on hwy 64, 3 miles from Tolby campground. Don't waste time fishing Eagle Nest lake unless you have boat. I fish the Dos Amigos Cimarron Special fly mostly dropped off an attractor fly. Get details from fly shop for hatches and flies. Take the wife to top of Bobcat Pass for Cowboy Evening with hosts Sue & Henry. We go every year. Try to go when Syd Masters is playing, but all shows are good. Recommend their other activities also.
Bobcat Pass Wilderness Adventures Fly Fishing New Mexico's Cimarron River
Dos Amigos Anglers Orvis Fly Shop & Guide Service in Taos & Eagle Nest, New Mexico

Valle Vidal Unit: Rio Castilla, get info from Dos Amigos. Take everything in with you (food,water, etc.) long, long way from town. Most beautiful place to camp on your trip. This area does not open until 1 July to allow for Elk calving to complete. Keep food stored away because of bears. No threat to you, just the food.

Red River: Red River, N.M., over Bobcat Pass from Eagle Nest, N.M. Details from Dos Amigos again. I bypass this river and just fish the Cimarron.

Conejos River: I bypass Conejos River Anglers fly shop and continue west to Fox Creek Store and get last minute supplies (food, water, flies, license, NF maps, etc.), from guide Jeremy Smith and his sister Eschle. Super people. You tube Fox Creek and Jeremy to get your blood pumped up. Jeremy can guide you or freely tell you more places to fish than you have time for. Fox Creek Store

San Juan River: This is where I change directions from your trip. Maybe one of the top 10 tailwaters to fish in America. This is also a N.M. state park. Cottonwood campground is on the river but the mosquitos are in full force. No showers. Camp above the dam in one of the state park campgrounds without the mass of mosquitos and comes with a shower in one of the camps. Any of the camps you stay in still allows you to go shower at the camp with showers. New Mexico - State Parks Division make reservations now for Cimarron and San Juan if needed. Fishheads Lodge for guide and info is my choice but many others available.

We very well may cross paths. I'm starting off on the San Juan on July 6 and returning home middle of August. I rent a condo in Angel Fire, N.M. and make camping trips from there. Come back to condo for down time and daily fishing the Cimarron. Good luck and I know ya'll will have a blast.

Last edited:

edwardo

Reaction score
Consider camping down Old Lime Creek Road. Sweet stream that is a tributary of the Animas that offers stunning scenery and nice fishing for small trout. Hopper dropper and you'll be into them no problem. Avoid on weekends, because it does see some traffic despite being a rough road. By the way, what vehicle will you be driving? Pretty rough road FYI. (IM me and I'll give you better details and directions in to this spot) There is also a great hike off this road to a small alpine lake called Spud.
Lime Creek definitely sounds like a place to try out; we'll be in a 2WD Toyota 4-Runner; I've also heard of Spud Lake and plan to hike in.

Latir Lakes which is in the Rio Costilla area is beautiful and fun.
Thanks, I'll have to look up the Latir Lakes

Many thanks to all of you; I am SOOO looking forward to this trip.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Make reservations now if you want in for Tolby campground in Cimarron State Park.
Well, I've already gotten reservations at Maverick CG and Tolby is now full for when I will be there; hopefully there's some good fishing down at Marverick. I'll make sure I stop by Dos Amigos and Fox Creek Store.

gbanker

Reaction score
Southern Colorado info

Spud Lake: haven't fished it for several years but last time they were rising in the evening.

I would rather see you camp near Hermosa, Cascade and Lime Creeks instead of by Molas. All three are great for numbers of small, easily fooled fish, if you can walk a bit. I only ever fish dries on them.

Durango is a great town (I am here in the summer) for a break from fishing - resturants, shopping, etc.

San Juan; not the experience some people are looking for. There are lots of good size fish in the San Juan but the experience is not without crowds and you are not getting into the back-country. Anyway, a guide would be a good idea if you don't have a lot of experience fishing tailwaters.

Your schedule seems a bit ambitious, or it's my age. You could spend all your vacation fishing the Durango area and spare travel days.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
live in the south, but have a second home in Duran
Lime Creek definitely sounds like a place to try out; we'll be in a 2WD Toyota 4-Runner; I've also heard of Spud Lake and plan to hike in.

The 2WD 4-runner should handle the road OK. There are a couple steep parts in the middle and just south of middle. If you drop in on the north end of the loop you would be fine. Heading south from the camp ground it gets narrow and steep. The only problem is the Spud Lake trail head is on the southern side of the loop. Google Earth and check it out. Hermosa is also a good idea, just sees a few more people. The entire area is fantastic. If you have not dropped Will a line at AVA, do so soon. Book a trip with him, well worth the momeries and education. He is also very generous with info. Cheers

Reed