Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

1. Default Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

Hello,
    Hope everyone got through the winter ok. I'm planning a trip for the week after Labor Day, staying in Gardiner, MT. The few times I've fished the NE part of YNP in the past has been in July, so not quite sure what to expect. I've received somewhat conflicting advice in terms of mayfly and caddis hatches from Blue Ribbon and Park's -- so not quite sure what to make of it at this point. (Both have stated that terrestrials will be key though, so that's consistent) Anyone out there that has some experience fishing Lamar and tribs and Yellowstone Black Canyon area at that time of year? Thanks for help.

Default Re: Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

I'd try a google search. Here is a start.

Yellowstone Park Fly Fishing - Northeast

Sounds like that could be one beautiful trip.

Check with these guys...Walter Wiese is the man...

Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

...their fishing reports, as one approaches the arrival date, should provide a good indication of what is working...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

I can't help with your question, but it seemed strange to stay in Gardiner if you plan of fishing the NE section.....just curious, wouldn't Cooke City be much closer?
    Larry

5. Likes shortyb liked this post

Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner

• Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
    • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
    • More choice of places to stay
    Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
    Larry.. Cooke City is closer, I was going to suggest that too..

But in favor of Gardiner

• Gardiner has Park's Fly shop (the shop in Cooke City closed - at least the ast time I was there)
    • You can get to other parts of the park easier - if those NE rivers are (and they can be) very crowded that time of year, and options to go east or south
    • More choice of places to stay
    Dave: I hear you there, but that daily drive back and forth would sure get old unless fishing some of the water closer to Gardiner. Of course, maybe in sept the traffic will have thinned out considerably.
    Larry

I agree..

It's a risk/reward thing. .if the Lamar watershed had closure restrictions (like a few years back) .. you're sort of hosed. where Gardiner would give you more options
    Dave

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  10. Default Re: Yellowstone Park - Northeast Portion - early Sept.

Thanks guys. I will continue to reach out to Walter Weise at Park's as I get closer to the trip. The Lamar-Slough confluence and Yellowstone-Lamar confluence are about equi-distant between Gardiner and Cooke City. Although the Soda Butte and upper Lamar would be closer to Cooke City, Park's Fly Shop is in Gardiner -- so that was the rationale.

I've found the fish.. not to be too picky over there

It should be prime hopper season about then. Hoppers, Chernobyls work great.. and maybe a typical dropper - but hoppers were the go to fly.

It can get crowded, but if you move around.. easy to find spots, typical, most people fish the easiest accesible places.

Keep an eye open for wildlife.. all kinds there (ask Parks about Bear spray or not)

One of the times I was there.. we were not that far away, but a Bison herd was going to cut us off from gettting back to the car.. if th herd is big enough and slow enough, you'll have an extra long walk, or be prepared to wait them out
    Dave

12. Likes mcnerney, stenacron liked this post

Rainbow and Brook Trout must now be harvested in the Northeast Corner of Yellowstone Park.

Yellowstone National Park updates fishing regulations
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

14. Likes shortyb liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast