In search of big browns on the San Juan NM

fly505

Reaction score
Hi there! I have been fishing the San Juan a handful of times and have been successful with many rainbows in the 15-20" range but have not hooked up any browns?! I am not all too familiar with the river and have fished primarily the quality waters from Cottonwood up to the Texas Hole....I've read somewhere that the aggressive and larger browns have been pushed back downstream towards the bait waters?! Anyone have knowledge or experience with this? I really want to hook up with some larger fish, tied up a bunch of nice streamers in hopes to come tight with some of these monsters :) thanks and look forward to any replies.

bigfishcatcher

Reaction score
There is a good population of big browns all through the quality waters, but there are just so many rainbows that you don't always catch them. If you want to solely fish for big brownies, you have to try the lower river. Get past all of the bait fishers, past Abe's bridge with very big streamers, or float.
P.S. I wouldn't try in the bait waters because the big fish totally avoid it, and you might get snagged by powerbait or spinners by careless fishermen.

fly505

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the head up on where to locate these bad boys...definitely try down stream from the bridge next time. Tied up some Sculzilla's and Hawkins Triple Double patterns and can't wait to use em there. Those browns are freakin monsters! Thanks for sharing the pics...may have to look into twilight fishing for sure. Thanks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Having done some night fishing I'll offer a couple tips. Get to know the river well before going in the dark. When you are on the water during daylight look specifically for hiding spots for fish. Shelves, undercuts and boulder are favorites. My best results came at either the head of the pool where such hiding spots existed or at the tails.

At night when the big trout come out they migrate to where the current feeds the pool or run. This is (along with the tail out) where the most food can be had quickly. The tails are host to many small fish and I've seen some real activities in these places.

Also when you are on the water in daylight pay attention to pocket water at the shore line. What to look for are areas teaming with small fish. Baby Trout, dace, and etc., I've stumbled into some big fish that were in these shore line pools / pockets feeding or resting as I waded along in careless bliss.

Hope these few tips will help.

Ard

cptxkirk

Reaction score
All the quality water has browns! Just got back from a trip there and landed a 22" brown as well as a handful of 16-18" browns as well. I caught more browns the further from Texas Hole but my biggest came from T-Hole!

Next time you are there. Fish Beatis Bend with the standard rig and you are bound to catch some!

fly505

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on fishing after dark! Tails and heads I will definitely scope out during the day and will return after dusk. Very useful info for sure. Good to know their are browns all over the quality waters. I've never explored baetis bend, that will be my first wade-in area for sure when I head up. Thanks for all the tips gents :)

Reactions: Ard

mudbug

Reaction score
I hooked one large brown the last time I was there (a few weeks ago) at the bottom of the lower flats. I lost him at the net but he would have been my biggest brown on a fly had I netted him.

Reactions: Ard

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I've caught a lot of browns on the juan. I don't fish for them specifically but I've had a lot of good luck throughout the quality waters. My biggest browns are always from the main channel. If the browns have reportedly gone down river then it's because of the target base flows from the dam for downstream habitat. On the other hand the browns could be up river feasting on the thousands of rainbow fingerlings they have been stocking.

Good luck.

fly505

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mudbug....largest one I've ever caught was like 8-9 inches in the Jemez. Jeepster....when you say "main channel" are you referring to a specific location on the river or are you referring to the main flow in the middle of a non-specific area of the river? Are they usually hanging in faster water or slower slack water. I'm definitely gonna try the heads and tails as what was mentioned earlier. I have a few new streamers that imitate fingerling rainbow trout and wanna know what streamers work best for you guys :). Thanks!

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Jeepster....when you say "main channel" are you referring to a specific location on the river or are you referring to the main flow in the middle of a non-specific area of the river?
Both. I have special locations on the main channel for four miles. Look at the drift boats. They rarely venture from the main channel.

Are they usually hanging in faster water or slower slack water.
Both. I've never caught a brown there in shallow water.

fly505

Reaction score
Hmm...very interesting. Thanks for the tip! Anyone truly know how deep the Texas hole really is? I'm not sure I'm getting deep enough for the main currents, I really need to invest in a sink tip I think. Thanks again :)

newby

Reaction score
Nah- the T-hole is deep, but not deep enough to need a sink-tip, at least at normal flows. Plus when the fish start feeding on emergers they won't be sitting at the bottom of it but rather in the first three feet.

But, if you find you need to get really deep there without a sink-tip, you can do this. Take your standard 9' 5x leader and add 1-2 feet of fluorocarbon tippet before you even tie on your first fly (normally I cut my 9' 5x leader back to put on some fluorocarbon tippet to the first fly). Then tie on your first fly- annelid, midge, streamer, whatever (tippet may need to be heavier for some streamers).

Then you can take another 1-2 feet of fluorocarbon tippet and add your second fly. Make certain you use the right amount of weight, not too much or too little. Place your strike indicator high up on your leader. Doing that will get you as deep as you'll need 95% of the time. And usually I can just get to the desired depth by adjusting weight and indicator placement. Remember to estimate the depth and place the strike indicator around 1.5x the depth you will be fishing.

fly505

Reaction score
Wow thanks newby for the great tip! I use primarily furled leaders and love em for just about any application. For deep streamer and nymphing i use a flouro leader which sinks quite well. When you add a second piece of tippet do you tie directly to the hook bend of the first fly? If so would do you like the heavier fly tied to the bend of the hook of a lighter fly or visa versa? Thanks!

newby

Reaction score
A mono or fluoro furled leader with enough tippet works really well. When doing a standard nymph rig at the Juan usually the heavier fly is the first one. Depending on the size of the lead fly, etc... like to tie the tippet to the bend of the first fly.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
A mono or fluoro furled leader with enough tippet works really well. When doing a standard nymph rig at the Juan usually the heavier fly is the first one. Depending on the size of the lead fly, etc... like to tie the tippet to the bend of the first fly.
Sorry Colton but furled leaders are not meant for indicator fishing! Too much drag in the water making it tougher to get a proper drift, ill placement of indicator and split shot. I spoke with the owner of Cutthroat Leaders and he agreed with me on this! Fish regular leaders or tie your own!

newby

Reaction score
I was just telling him that they would work fine if that was all he head. When I have (rarely) fished a furled mono leader with nymphs, it worked fine, protecting tippet well. Never noticed an issue with drag.

But I agree, a tapered mono leader or fluoro if I spring for it is best

fly505

Reaction score
Ya I was having a few issues with drag on the nymphing leaders being the diameter of the furl felt to be a little to large.... I do only use furled leaders because it has cut down substantially the cost of replacing a ton of nylon leaders when the tippet end would get cut back alot when changing rigs and flies. Plus I can't stand leader memory, drives me crazy. I put my indicator right by the tippet ring so the only part of my rig that's subsurface is my tippet...works extremely well and havnt had drag issues since, I hate using shot...I tie my weighted nymphs with lead-free wire or tungsten beads. Thanks for tips fellas :)

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Ya I was having a few issues with drag on the nymphing leaders being the diameter of the furl felt to be a little to large.... I do only use furled leaders because it has cut down substantially the cost of replacing a ton of nylon leaders when the tippet end would get cut back alot when changing rigs and flies. Plus I can't stand leader memory, drives me crazy. I put my indicator right by the tippet ring so the only part of my rig that's subsurface is my tippet...works extremely well and havnt had drag issues since, I hate using shot...I tie my weighted nymphs with lead-free wire or tungsten beads. Thanks for tips fellas :)
The best thing about split shot is it doesn't have a hook. It's part of the mix at the juan.