Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing close to the I-80

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing close to the I-80

It's been a while.............................

I fished from Tahoe down back in 1981, things were probably not as developed then as they may be now.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Default Re: Fishing close to the I-80

Quote Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
    very close to I-80 - probably as close as one can get -
    My god, I was going to sh^t a brick if you told me you caught that lunker under the I-80 bridge near Sinclair, WY.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Hey OP, if you're down traveling off of I-80, take a look into the Green River below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir just inside the utah border by Dutch John. If you turn south of I-80 near Green River/Rock Springs Wyoming, its about an hour and a half away, and a beautiful drive.

The Little hole area is all public and pure trout heaven. Probably a top 3 destination in the world, and no guide needed.

3. Likes t1978d liked this post
    Blog Entries

There are a number of good options off I-80 once in WY.
    I'm not at my computer at the house si I can't give you as much detailed information, but here are some ideas.
    1. Turn off at Laramie and then take hwy 130 into the Snowy Mtns, lots of small streams and lakes.
    2. West of Laramie take the Walcott exit, head south to Saratoga, there is a lake on the south end of town with nice sized rainbows, or watch for the brown public access points to the North Platte. Be careful if you decide to fish the access points on the south side of Saratoga, due to rattlesnakes. I prefer the access points on the north side of town in the mtns (maybe 15 miles past town, just watch for the brown signs.
    3. Take the Sinclair exit about 7 miles to the east of Rawlins, WY and travel north about an hour, the hwy crosses the North Platte. This section is called the Miracle Mile, actually about seven miles of river all n BLM land, lots of camping available.
    4. Just past Rock Springs, take hwy 191 south to Dutch John, UT, it is about an hour drive. As you reach Dutch John, you will see a gas station/convenience store/fly shop on the left. If you turn left the paved road will take you down to a boat landing called Little Hole, about five miles. If you continue past Dutch John look for the boat launch sign on the left before you cross the dam. This area I'm talking about is the Green River below Flaming Gorge reservoir. If you fish anywhere along your trip to CA, make it a point to fish here. All of the land on the river is BLM and there is a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout at Little Hole, so even in the summer there is plenty of room to spread out. Lots of camping in the area but little tree cover/shade except for a couple, the best is past the dam and up the hill a bit on the left called the firemen's memorial.
    Larry

5. Likes Ard, jpbfly, t1978d, lightline liked this post
  6. Default Re: Fishing close to the I-80

mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
    If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.

Blog Entries

You're welcome! If you think you would like to try the Snowies or the upper North Platte areas let me know and I can give you better details, but personally I would spend the bulk of your fishing time on the Green below Flaming Gorge. They call the section below the dam the Aquarium, once you see it you will understand. The river flows through a deep canyon maybe 10000 ft or better and the views are incredible.
    Also, if you are a stillwater junkie and love targeting monster fish let me know.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by t1978d View Post
    mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
    If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.
    Larry

Hit the Green in Utah and Wyoming. Lots and lots of public land. Very good fishing, interesting scenery. PM me for more info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
    You must be from California. No one out here calls it "the I-80", or "the 80", its just "I-80".
    that's southern Ca. It's not "the" 101 or 280 in the bay area either. yuck

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
    very close to I-80 - probably as close as one can get -
    Water there's a dead ringer for the 'Bridge Hole' on the upper Rogue River.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12