Fishing close to the I-80

t1978d

Reaction score
Hi all, first post and I'd be grateful if someone could offer some basic advice.
Long story short I may be driving cross country in June on the I-80 and as it passes through trout heaven/Wyoming I can't pass an opportunity to do some fishing.
As far as I can tell the area North around Laramie and Rawlins has the North Platte River which is probably as good a river that you will find. Is this river fishable without a guide, are there good access points where I can go walking and fish a good stretch of river?
Are there many other nice rivers within easy reach of the I-80?
Ideally what i'd like to do is get a nice stretch where I can just walk and fish for a few hours each way and hopefully get soem dry fly action.
Any help is appreciated.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
You must be from California. No one out here calls it "the I-80", or "the 80", its just "I-80". Now, you're on point as to your closest river to the interstate being the North Platte. This site will tell you your access points south of I-80, but I'm thinking you would rather drive north of I-80 to the Miracle Mile.

If you were expecting to be able to fish within 10 miles of the interstate, I don't think you will find much luck.

t1978d

Reaction score
I'm from Ireland and driving from New York to California, hence the "the".
Thanks very much for the info, some of my own research is pointing towards that. Most of my searches are turning up gudie services so is that stretch only fishable with a guide?
I'm not necessarily looking for something very close to I-80, I don't mind a bit of a drive. I'd like to try something different as well as the main attractions. Obviously not trying to take secret spots but there may be good places you might not here of if your not form the area.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I-80 will put you very close to many of the best streams in Pennsylvania. If you will have time to explore send a PM to me and I'll be specific about which you may want to try.

It will cross plenty of warm water rivers and creeks as you go west but things will not get trouty again until you pass Evanston Wyoming. Once there you are at the corners of south west Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho. In this area there are many possibilities and a good amount of map searching will pay off if you intend to take a side trip.

If you don't fish the three corners area there is not much between Salt Lake City and Carson City Nevada. At Carson City the Truckee River can be followed up into the mountains.

I used to wander all over the country but I'm sure things have changed, however the rivers are still where they were then :)

Are you coming here to stay or just a visit?

Ard

joebloe

Reaction score
sorry - this was at Trail Creek in Indiana - 3 years ago - during a July heat wave - I guess I was amusing myself - my son caught this nice steelie underneath the interstate overpass -

t1978d

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all and thanks for the welcome jpbfly.
Hardyreels, I moved to NY about five years ago and may be moving to the Bay Area of CA, so I may be driving my way between NY and CA (I bravely volunteered to my wife).
I completely forgot about Pennsylvania, thanks for the reminder and if this trip does pan out I will definitely send you a pm, thanks again.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
At Carson City the Truckee River can be followed up into the mountains.

Ard
Ards thinking of the Carson out on 395.

The Truckee contacts I-80 out east of Patrick, NV, on it's way to its terminus at Pyramid Lake, Nv. Backtracking upstream ( east to west ) along its course are Sparks, Reno, Verdi, then up the hill ( along I 80 ) to the town of Truckee California, where it turns and can be followed south along 89 to Tahoe City at Lake Tahoe.

TT

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while............................. :eek:

I fished from Tahoe down back in 1981, things were probably not as developed then as they may be now.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
very close to I-80 - probably as close as one can get -
My god, I was going to sh^t a brick if you told me you caught that lunker under the I-80 bridge near Sinclair, WY.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Hey OP, if you're down traveling off of I-80, take a look into the Green River below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir just inside the utah border by Dutch John. If you turn south of I-80 near Green River/Rock Springs Wyoming, its about an hour and a half away, and a beautiful drive.

The Little hole area is all public and pure trout heaven. Probably a top 3 destination in the world, and no guide needed.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a number of good options off I-80 once in WY.
I'm not at my computer at the house si I can't give you as much detailed information, but here are some ideas.
1. Turn off at Laramie and then take hwy 130 into the Snowy Mtns, lots of small streams and lakes.
2. West of Laramie take the Walcott exit, head south to Saratoga, there is a lake on the south end of town with nice sized rainbows, or watch for the brown public access points to the North Platte. Be careful if you decide to fish the access points on the south side of Saratoga, due to rattlesnakes. I prefer the access points on the north side of town in the mtns (maybe 15 miles past town, just watch for the brown signs.
3. Take the Sinclair exit about 7 miles to the east of Rawlins, WY and travel north about an hour, the hwy crosses the North Platte. This section is called the Miracle Mile, actually about seven miles of river all n BLM land, lots of camping available.
4. Just past Rock Springs, take hwy 191 south to Dutch John, UT, it is about an hour drive. As you reach Dutch John, you will see a gas station/convenience store/fly shop on the left. If you turn left the paved road will take you down to a boat landing called Little Hole, about five miles. If you continue past Dutch John look for the boat launch sign on the left before you cross the dam. This area I'm talking about is the Green River below Flaming Gorge reservoir. If you fish anywhere along your trip to CA, make it a point to fish here. All of the land on the river is BLM and there is a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout at Little Hole, so even in the summer there is plenty of room to spread out. Lots of camping in the area but little tree cover/shade except for a couple, the best is past the dam and up the hill a bit on the left called the firemen's memorial.

t1978d

Reaction score
mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You're welcome! If you think you would like to try the Snowies or the upper North Platte areas let me know and I can give you better details, but personally I would spend the bulk of your fishing time on the Green below Flaming Gorge. They call the section below the dam the Aquarium, once you see it you will understand. The river flows through a deep canyon maybe 10000 ft or better and the views are incredible.
Also, if you are a stillwater junkie and love targeting monster fish let me know.

Larry

mcnerney and 4peace1piece; I appreciate that.
If this trip happens I'll be sure to let you all know how I got on.

parsond

Reaction score
Hit the Green in Utah and Wyoming. Lots and lots of public land. Very good fishing, interesting scenery. PM me for more info. :thumbsupu