Glenwood Springs, Carbondale, or Basalt Colorado?

puravida

Reaction score
This July my father and I will be heading to the roaring fork valley for the first time and would like to know if it would be better to stay in Basalt, Carbondale, or Glenwood Springs.

We will only be wade fishing so it seems like, at least from my reading, that most of that kind of fishing will be up closer to Basalt and Carbondale. But, having never been to the area before, we are not sure which place would be a better base camp.

We plan on spending a week in the area and intend on hitting as many rivers as we can.

Any suggestions on which place would be better would be much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

One more thing, we will be staying in a hotel - not camping.

UPDATE: Thought I would give an update to my trip in July. I took the recommendations and stayed at the Aspenalt Lodge in Basalt. So glad that I did. It is right in the heart of the action. Located on the Frying Pan and walking distance to the Roaring Fork, it is a perfect base camp. Also, in the parking lot are two different fly shops, a grocery store, and a great restaurant next door. It really doesn't get any more convenient than that.

We spent a week there and had great fishing every day. Our second day we hired a guide from Taylor Creek Fly shop, which was great. Our guide (Cameron) was awesome and put us on a lot of fish, and a couple real nice ones. I'd highly recommend him. The rest of trip was just as good. We spent three days on the Pan, three on the Fork, and one on the Crystal. I loved each river and caught big fish on each one, but the Pan can get a little crowded. Even though I only had one day on the Crystal, I really liked it. The river is very beautiful and has way less fishing pressure..at least the day I was there. We fished it above Redstone and only saw one other fisherman the entire day. Additionally, the Crystal was very wader friendly. The current was not too strong, there wasn't any moss to slip on, and there was less sticks and stuff in the water to get snagged on. Not sure why it is not as popular as the other two rivers. It could be that there aren't as many fish, but we caught plenty and the scenery was stunning.

Overall, Basalt is a fishing paradise in a prime location. I'd definitely go back in a heart beat as I didn't even scratch surface there.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It probably doesn't make all that much difference, it is only about 10 miles from Glenwood to Carbondale, but having said that I think the better wading opportunities are in the Basalt/Carbondale area. Pickup a river map from one of the fly shops, it will detail all of the public access points.
You might check in to the availability of the Taylor Creek cabins that are located on the Frying Pan River.
Taylor Creek Cabins -- Rental Rates

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
This one is easy. As a guy who lived in Carbondale for eight years, I say head to Basalt. You are right at the confluence of the Pan and Fork, and if you want to try the Colorado, it's only 20 miles down valley.

Basalt has many good restaurants, and the Aspenalt Lodge Motel is very good value right in town.

Chris

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you stay around as a participant I'll tell you where I had the very best experiences in that general area. There's always a spot that does not get as crowded as the Frying Pan or The Roaring Fork, but if you're only going to ask me where to go I feel un-liked.

Most of my info about the lower 48 is based on trips prior to 2004 but some things are still good. I'll wait to see if you join in other threads here before I send any tips..........

Old school,

Ard

puravida

Reaction score
If you stay around as a participant I'll tell you where I had the very best experiences in that general area. There's always a spot that does not get as crowded as the Frying Pan or The Roaring Fork, but if you're only going to ask me where to go I feel un-liked.

Most of my info about the lower 48 is based on trips prior to 2004 but some things are still good. I'll wait to see if you join in other threads here before I send any tips..........

Old school,

Ard
Fair enough Ard. Nobody wants to feel unliked now, and I am not trying to be a leech or anything. I am new to fly fishing (just made the switch last year) and am still learning, but if I can chime in somewhere, I will.

As I am sure you know, this sport is like crack....very addicting. Therefore, I plan on sticking around.

thewalker1013

Reaction score

Old school,

Ard
Hey Ard, can I get a little rec action too por favor? [poke]

Used to live in Vail Valley, but now stay with friends in Carbondale area on our annual trip to CO, and don't have any good ideas on where to go on our own. Have floated with a guide before, but that's darn expensive... Can probably only do that for one day. Plan on trophy hunting with a buddy, as well as trying to put my wife onto some fish (she's pretty handy with a fly rod). Not afraid to hike, drive, explore, whatever. Our little group group has climbed several 14ers together, and now I've gotten a couple of them into fly fishing after years (and years) of being real close buddies

Also want to hit the South Platte with a buddy from Denver whom I've been helping to teach for the last couple of years every time we get a chance to hang out...

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Ard, can I get a little rec action too por favor? [poke]

Used to live in Vail Valley, but now stay with friends in Carbondale area on our annual trip to CO, and don't have any good ideas on where to go on our own. Have floated with a guide before, but that's darn expensive... Can probably only do that for one day. Plan on trophy hunting with a buddy, as well as trying to put my wife onto some fish (she's pretty handy with a fly rod). Not afraid to hike, drive, explore, whatever. Our little group group has climbed several 14ers together, and now I've gotten a couple of them into fly fishing after years (and years) of being real close buddies
Stop into one of the fly shops and get a Frying Pan/Roaring Fork river map, it will detail all of the public access points along both rivers.

thewalker1013

Reaction score
Stop into one of the fly shops and get a Frying Pan/Roaring Fork river map, it will detail all of the public access points along both rivers.
I've either got it or have got access to all that info, I was asking about certain places Ard had referenced that he especially liked that, as he mentioned, were maybe not on the rivers you mentioned.

Ard, I don't even know you but have followed your postings quite a bit and respect your thinking, and I think it would be neat to fish somewhere that you've fished

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
Call Taylor Creek Fly Shop. Located right in basalt. Those guys have been there forever and most of the guides live right on the water. Tell them that Dallas sent you! Id reccomend the frying pan for at least 1 day. The toilet bowl could land you your biggest brown ever. The pulled a 23lb brown out this winter. They just hang there and eat Mysis Shrimp all day. Fairly famous tyers, Tims Hueng and Will Sands are at the shop most days of the week and can point you in all the right directions. They also have a great guide service and a back deck right on the Pan. Great guys! The other guys are right too, you have access to the colorado, and fork within 20 minutes. and maybe for a drive, about an hour and a half to 2 hours away is the yampa river.... most colorful bows ive ever seen.