Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Aid Kit?!.....

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Aid Kit?!.....

Quote Originally Posted by cuffer View Post
    a snake bite kit
    I keep reading that these are more harmful than helpful....I'm no expert and would be interested in thoughts from those who know.

Always have a First Reponders bag in the car since I am part of our county EMS program and I always carry a small kit in my fishing pack. You just never know what might happen on the river.
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

3. Likes dhayden, loveforthedryfly, fredaevans liked this post

It's more important to know what to use and how to use it, than what you carry, and I think a decent first aid class is more important that the equipment you carry.

The snake bite thing seems to change more frequently than others.
    I think with those little kits, the cutting could make things worse. I'm sure with training they're more valuable.

A simple cravat will do for most cases, and is very small and easy to carry. It can be a bandage, or a sling, or even a tourniquet, or stabilize (with a stick) a broken arm, etc

After that, it's more non emergency, but comfort

In the car, I guess the argument can be made, you carry it for someone else to use

just my .01
    Dave

5. Likes loveforthedryfly, fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

"In the car, I guess the argument can be made, you carry it for someone else to use."

Hear you Dave, over 50 years of driving I've only had to be there three times. But needed darned near everything in the box.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Having one in the car is extremely smart! and i need to put one there. I like having one in the field for obvious reason's, fall,cut,sprain. I know im no medical professional so dont have a snake bite kit, but a class for that would be fun! U think id get extra crdit for letting a snake bite me? . But i wouldnt want anything to complicated to where i could hurt someone even more trying to help them.. But i do have the essentials.

I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
    I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy
    Good call Randy. As noted above, if you know what to do with the stuff at hand it's amazing what you could accomplish. In one 'none life threat' was a guy on the beach who broke his lower leg. Still no clue how he could have accomplished that on a flat gravel bar; but he did.

Three of us 'administering' to the the fellow. Chopped down small trees for splints, sliced up shirt for 'bandages wraps' to secure same, couple more small trees for a litter hoist. One guy off his pants, another his coat to make a litter.

Hour'ish later fellow is in the ER getting properly taken care of .....

None life threat, but one of the Doc's came out and asked 'How many of you were in the Military?'

Answer was all of us had. You learn to 'improvise' with what's at hand.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

10. Default Re: First Aid Kit?!.....

I carry Sting-Eze, glucose tablets, assorted band-aids and butterflies, topical antibiotic in single use packs, sling, snake bite kit, tweezers, sterile wipes, 2 sanitary napkins (in place of gauze pads, cheaper and work better) and tape, aspirin, benadryl, pen light. It all fits in a small pouch. Have a larger kit in the Subaru that goes everywhere with me.

If you spend any amount of time afield....i would recommend...or a similar program.

SOLO Wilderness Medicine Courses at NOC: WFR, WFA Certification & More

Great investment.

Like others have said...dosent matter what you have, if you have no idea what you are doing..

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12