First Aid Kit?!.....

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
I'd like to know if other people are carrying a first aid kit. I try to carry a small one with Key items! But what are they? The first aid kit i carry in my vest is about the size of my Perrine #97 fly box. I try to carry items i think would be useful for more trip. Which includes sharp hook's, fire's, and backbreaking hikes! I have a Sling, bandages,ammonia mini packs,mini iodine packets,fingerbrace,neosporin,band aids,cue tips,burn treatment,tweezers,eyewash,butterfly bandages and alcohol wipes. It seems like a lot, But surprisingly it weighs about 8oz. and is a nice fit in my fly vest. I dont think im paranoid by having my small kit i would just like to be semi ready. What do you all think about small first aid kits. Have em, leave em? What would your priorities be in a first aid kit????

cattech89

Reaction score
Roll of electrical tape and a roll of duct tape. One for small injuries, the other for the more life threatening.
:D
Seriously though, a small first aid kit is not a bad idea. I have always meant to put something together or buy something, I just never took the time to do it though.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We have always carried supplies for minor injury and first aid. Last year I put together a more inclusive package for carrying under the consol in the boat. When I'm on foot my kit is very similar to what you are carying. Better safe than sorry,

Ard

oldfatman

Reaction score
Your kit sounds just about like the one I carry in my waist pack and thanks for carrying it. I was in an accident a couple of years ago when a deer came through the windshield. A couple of local fishermen stopped to assist and one opened his first aide kit for us. Like everyone always says- he said "never needed it before". For your boat, check out the guide requirements for your state. Most have very specific lists. Here's hoping you never need it.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I carry a safety whistle with waterproof matches, a multi purpose tool and some suture strips (sp) in every pack i own, including fishing. For long trips I have a pretty decent backpacker first aid kit that is loaded. For day trips I don't usually add much.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Don't carry one on me as it's rare that I'm that far away from the Jeep. There, I have a massive one behind the drivers seat. Things almost the size of a brief case.

On the surface it sounds like over kill but I've had three experiences where I've come on car wrecks (in the sticks) and damned near emptied the thing patching up people. First one was the worst; straight head on at speed.

One car was pulling out from a side road on to the two lane highway when guy going the other direction decided to pass the car in front of him. They went straight into each other.

And this was before the days of mandatory seat belts, air bags, and such ..........

cuffer

Reaction score
Fishing the streams of the Shenandoah National Park, I carry a zip lock bag with band aids, aspirin, Benadryl, a whistle, waterproof matches, a Swiss Army knife, and a snake bite kit.

caseywise

Reaction score
mine consists of a tiny pill box with benadryl and advil. i also
carry a lighter and knife all the time.
in the car we have a extensive kit that has about everything:cool:

casey

long bow

Reaction score
For safety I pinch my barbs and carry some bear spray ;) But I know it's that kind of attitude that can get you in some real trouble. For hiking trips I've got one but don't really carry one while fishing.

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
Seth- Electrical tape great idea! I can think of many uses. Long bow, Pinching barbs, Always a smart thing to do, especially since most streams i fish are barbless. Washington more rules than a virgin on prom night. I like how it seems most people are carrying a first aid kit at least in their vehicles.

popperfly

Reaction score
Always have a First Reponders bag in the car since I am part of our county EMS program and I always carry a small kit in my fishing pack. You just never know what might happen on the river.

dhayden

Reaction score
It's more important to know what to use and how to use it, than what you carry, and I think a decent first aid class is more important that the equipment you carry.

The snake bite thing seems to change more frequently than others.
I think with those little kits, the cutting could make things worse. I'm sure with training they're more valuable.

A simple cravat will do for most cases, and is very small and easy to carry. It can be a bandage, or a sling, or even a tourniquet, or stabilize (with a stick) a broken arm, etc

After that, it's more non emergency, but comfort

In the car, I guess the argument can be made, you carry it for someone else to use

just my .01

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
Having one in the car is extremely smart! and i need to put one there. I like having one in the field for obvious reason's, fall,cut,sprain. I know im no medical professional so dont have a snake bite kit, but a class for that would be fun! U think id get extra crdit for letting a snake bite me? ;). But i wouldnt want anything to complicated to where i could hurt someone even more trying to help them.. But i do have the essentials.

trout champ

Reaction score
I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I keep a full sized kit in my fishing bag and one in the truck. I also carry a small fly box sized first aid kit in the pouch of my waistpack.

Randy
Good call Randy. As noted above, if you know what to do with the stuff at hand it's amazing what you could accomplish. In one 'none life threat' was a guy on the beach who broke his lower leg. Still no clue how he could have accomplished that on a flat gravel bar; but he did.:rolleyes:

Three of us 'administering' to the the fellow. Chopped down small trees for splints, sliced up shirt for 'bandages wraps' to secure same, couple more small trees for a litter hoist. One guy off his pants, another his coat to make a litter.

Hour'ish later fellow is in the ER getting properly taken care of .....

None life threat, but one of the Doc's came out and asked 'How many of you were in the Military?'

Answer was all of us had. You learn to 'improvise' with what's at hand.

fae

widows son

Reaction score
I carry Sting-Eze, glucose tablets, assorted band-aids and butterflies, topical antibiotic in single use packs, sling, snake bite kit, tweezers, sterile wipes, 2 sanitary napkins (in place of gauze pads, cheaper and work better) and tape, aspirin, benadryl, pen light. It all fits in a small pouch. Have a larger kit in the Subaru that goes everywhere with me.