Gun's!! Who's got em, who leaves em??

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
It seems like im always fishing as far away from civilization as i can get. I love the back country and love my Guns. when im up in bear/wolf/cat country i always like to have protection. I carry a S&W 357. mag, or my S&W 44. mag. never both one is enough. Now i havent come into a situation ive needed them yet. But I like to be PREPARED. Id like to know how many of you either accompany someone with a firearm or carry one of there own??

mikel

Reaction score
this thread has potential to get someone banned...lots of strong feelings on both sides...not to mention that it will devolve into a 2nd amendment urination contest almost without question. $.02

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
Really??? well if i do i do. I think its an adult question, and to people who may get offended. Im not trying to offend anyone. I believe we all have the right to believe w/e you want to believe. I dont hate when they offend me.

mikel

Reaction score
Really??? well if i do i do. I think its an adult question, and to people who may get offended. Im not trying to offend anyone. I believe we all have the right to believe w/e you want to believe. I dont hate when they offend me.
It is certainly an adult question. It has been discussed on many forums, and the issue is less than adult answers and discussion.

You've done nothing to offend anyone. I just don't want to see any more members banned than is necessary.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
this thread has potential to get someone banned...lots of strong feelings on both sides...not to mention that it will devolve into a 2nd amendment urination contest almost without question. $.02
Mike is absolutely correct! We have people who love guns, others who hate guns, so be it, but keep this discussion civil and no personal attacks or you know what will happen. Have a good day.

Larry

plecain

Reaction score
I usually carry one - either a .32 or a .380. Never felt the need to carry my .44 fishing:).

I suppose it's just a habit with me. I've carried a handgun for about 45 years - even when I lived in MA.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I use to carry for 44 when I fished in Northern MT... Grizz country, now I carry pepper spray. Gun was heavy to pack and wade with... Although I am a pretty good shot, when you have a grizz running you down, I am thinking a cloud of pepper spray will hit the mark better than my shooting ability....

I did have to spray once, not at a grizz directly, but in his direction. I approached a small stream after bush whacking. when I spread the branches to reach the stream.... there he sat. He noticed me but just looked. I tested the spray to see wind direction. All ended well.

This was in the "the Bob", Bob Marshall wilderness in NW MT. Still have vivid memories of that trip.

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
haha i know my 44. is a lil big for most critters. But if a big grizz or a momma black bear is chargin, well i would want to be ready. Now ive been in extremly close proximity with bears a ton. They dont bother me i dont bother them. But If i do happen to find a mike tyson bear that wants me for lunch ill be ready.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorta qualified to comment on back country fishing and dangers associated with it. Although we sometimes are armed the Counter Assault Bear Spray is hard to beat. I would feel confident standing off anything that gave me time for a reaction.

The story below is from the blog here on the forum. In the 60 some entries there are many tales of things that go wrong and some that work out swell.

Here's the link; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/blogs/hardyreels/252-time-some-catching-up-here.html

mikel

Reaction score
when you have a grizz running you down, I am thinking a cloud of pepper spray will hit the mark better than my shooting ability....
I'd be worried about falling and shooting myself.

Been on a lot of trips with and without guns. I'm not a real gun guy, but I like them when I'm not at the top of the food chain.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I think to carry, or not, is a function of State Laws and where you're going. I'm sure (even if Oregon is an 'open carry State') there are very few places that it would be needed if just fishing. (Not a combined hunting trip.)

Know a couple of guys who 'carry' damned near in site of Medford on the Rogue. Protection from what? A chipmunk?

loveforthedryfly

Reaction score
Completely agree. I only carry when im in serious bear country. other than that bear spray will do the job. And I've heard that wasp spray works really good, Dont know just had someone tell me once.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Completely agree. I only carry when im in serious bear country. other than that bear spray will do the job. And I've heard that wasp spray works really good, Dont know just had someone tell me once.
Very interesting idea, totally new on on me. Bear spray is just an up graded pepper spray (I think). But a shot of bug spray sounds like it would really hurt. Hate Wasp's; they go right at me. If they're around I have an eppy-pen in my pocket.

Fred